GPL Question

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GPL Question

Post by Synlor »

Hey everyone, some of you may know I've been working on some programs for a PIC microcontroller that decodes controllers into TTL outputs. I was wondering if I could use the GPL for this code. Does it apply to embedded devices like this? And if I can, what must I do to make my code licensed under the GPL? From what I can gather is put a little preamble in my source, and then just include the license file with it. Thanks guys
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

If you use GPL-licensed code in your program, then you've also got to provide a written offer with your program to make the source code available to anyone who asks.
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Re: GPL Question

Post by ATani »

Synlor wrote:Hey everyone, some of you may know I've been working on some programs for a PIC microcontroller that decodes controllers into TTL outputs. I was wondering if I could use the GPL for this code. Does it apply to embedded devices like this? And if I can, what must I do to make my code licensed under the GPL? From what I can gather is put a little preamble in my source, and then just include the license file with it. Thanks guys
I would recommend using the LGPL vs the GPL since this does not sound like a complete program, one which does not require any outside code to function fully. This sounds like a nice bit of library code which could be of use for others..

If you want to get it included into KOS it would be best to go with a BSD style license which gives the programmer using the code the most flexibility in how they utilize your code.

Given the current state of affairs on the DreamCast I would go with a BSD style license and just put the code out there. Alternatively I would send the code over to Dan as an "addon" to be included in the KOS source tree.

Mike
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: GPL Question

Post by Alexvrb »

ATani wrote:I would recommend using the LGPL vs the GPL since this does not sound like a complete program, one which does not require any outside code to function fully. This sounds like a nice bit of library code which could be of use for others..

If you want to get it included into KOS it would be best to go with a BSD style license which gives the programmer using the code the most flexibility in how they utilize your code.

Given the current state of affairs on the DreamCast I would go with a BSD style license and just put the code out there. Alternatively I would send the code over to Dan as an "addon" to be included in the KOS source tree.

Mike
Huh? I was pretty sure he wouldn't be running code on the Dreamcast, but rather a microcontroller he is using for adapting controllers eg. Genesis -> DC in a little box with a plug on the front for Genesis and a cord going to the DC. Only he's doing a lot more than just Genesis...

He just wants a license of some sort because he wants to release his work, but doesn't want it to be ganked and have someone else slap their name on it, without at least something there to make others frown on it. ;)
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

That is exactly it Alexvrb, thanks for explaining that better. I sometimes have a hard time expressing what I want to say with something even remotely technical :).

And thanks Ex-Cyber, that is exactly what I was looking for. The only question remains is if it is appropriate to use the GPL for code that runs on a microcontroller. As of now I can't see any reason why not. Thanks for the help :)
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

The GPL is entirely appropriate for code that runs on a microcontroller.

On a side note, in all actuality, you can release pretty much anything under the GPL. I've seen artwork released under the GPL. And in case there's any doubt, a couple years ago I exchanged a couple emails w/someone in the EFF about the apropriateness of releasing artwork under the GPL, and he assured me it was okay. (Source code in such a case could be the image file itself, or a PSD or whatever document with all the layers & so on, any fonts that might be used...)
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Personally, I'd go for a Creative Commons license for artistic works. (L)GPL for artwork has some issues with the fact that it contains certain terms that are already ambiguous enough when applied to computer programs, and have virtually no discernible meaning with regard to artwork (the best example would be the terms "link"/"linking" and the distinction, if any, between "source code","object code", and "executable").
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer