DC cooling system

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
rhubarb505
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC cooling system

Post by rhubarb505 »

Can anyone post a faq or something on how to build/where to buy a cooling system for the dc? keep in mind that im going to overclock my dc too (hopefully rather high) so i want a cooling system that will allow me to do that.

Thanks!
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot
read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

There isn't any because it isn't needed. You might find a guide or a pic of people adding fans but thats because there DC is just one that heats up a lot.

Overclocking the DC shouldn't require much more cooling if its already dust free and not sat on the carpet. You'd only really need to think about doing the cooling system from scratch is if you wanted to get over 240Mhz for example because you would probably need to hack the processor and increase the voltage
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I am really considering making a ghetto-as-hell water cooling system for my other DC, just for kicks.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i feel like making ghetto water cooling too sometimes, untill i remember i lack any kind of serious equipement, and the whole operation would just end up leaking water on my hardware

maybe when i get my hands on an old as hell comp
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

The biggest pain would be getting some decent pressure on the block and core. You could use some sort of a clam but would need a rubber block or something underneath as well
rhubarb505
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by rhubarb505 »

aight, thanks for the info, once someone figures out how to get more voltage then ill worry about a cooling system
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot
read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

mattthemodder wrote:The biggest pain would be getting some decent pressure on the block and core. You could use some sort of a clam but would need a rubber block or something underneath as well
External unit is obviously the best option. Then all you need is a couple of hoses and waterblock(s). Anything completely internal would suck, unless you're not using a standard DC case.
here2help
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by here2help »

hey man, i just get a chance to look at a ps 2 system and discover it's thermodynamic design. It turns out the sony folks design the console to stand vertical..more exposure you see for heat to radiate outward as well as improve convection settings. You can improve the dc as well. It reallly simple by modify the casing to have more vents...careful not to damage the cd lid...and allow the console to have air circulates all around it that means customized stand for the console , best have a thermometer around to check , an independent fan will also help , and if you want it to last alil bit longer n run faster have the vent filter with what else dryer sheet ...hehe..try it n tells me the result :twisted:
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

here2help, wtf? Why would we stand the dc up? That also ruins a ps2, and the ps2 was designed for it. So quit trying to kill the dc's.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Standing the DC on its side is silly (unless you have worn your rails THAT BADLY and refuse to replace/repair them). As for cooling, the simplest thing you can do to improve it is replacing the existing exhaust fan with something larger. However, most DCs do not need additional cooling.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
gamefreak701
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gamefreak701 »

I added a fan on the side. I also have a switch for it on the opposite side.
please ignore the crappy hot glue and such. That is my beat up/test DC. hehe.

Works pretty good...I think.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Well at least you set it up as an intake, so it cooperates with the existing fan.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
gamefreak701
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gamefreak701 »

yea. The fan I added takes cool air in, the other blows hot air out.