New Homebrew in development: Null (screenshots and info)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

New Homebrew in development: Null (screenshots and info)

Post by GyroVorbis »

Hey guys, this might come as a bit of surprise, but I've been working on a secret project for the past month and a half or so. It's a game called Null.

I really wasn't planning to mention it or even tell anybody about it until it was completely done, and I'm sure that unless you're a member of http://thechaosrift.com/ forums, you wouldn't even know of its existance.

But yeah, I couldn't help myself and keep it a secret. One of the reasons is so that I can get input on what you think thus far and take some suggestions and comments. The other reason is so that I know what you guys do and don't think would be nice in Null. I'm only 15, and I have school, and I actually have a job interview at Dominos in like an hour. I don't have too much time to spend on things that won't really be appreciated or that can be replaced cooler features.

Anyway, now I'll tell you about Null. Null is a random project I started a while back for the DC to work on before our team starts on another project called NEStix Chaotix. Null is ... well... null. As its name implies, this is no ordinary game. It plays like classic NES MegaMan titles mostly, but has its own little wierd twists. We were going for something really random, almost WTF-ish. I think the screens speak for themselves:

Oh, a real quick random thank you to Tvspelsfreak who has been my teacher through it all... :bow: :worship:

The Null title screen. ph33r.

These are actually older screenshots before I got lots of stuff done, but parts of those levels are still in there. Oh, and yes, the characters are untextured polygons. It is Null...

Shooting tiles. Please note that version of the gun will not be in the game, I'm upgrading to a MegaMan-ish chargable buster gun.

Hah, just some random secret I was working on...

Cheesy little animation of death... Once again a humble thanks to my teacher Tvspelsfreak for teaching the arts of sin/cos rotations. ^_^

Here are demonstrations of the NEStix particle engine that I ported. Using dyanmic allocation it creates particles at any 1-360 degree angle with any color and size. It won't look like this in the game though, that was just an example... It'll be used for blood and probably nice splashing affects and goodness...

Anyway, there is actually a lot more done than the screens show, but I didn't want to give it all away.

Some things that you might wanna know are supported:
Analog stick
VMU display
DC Keyboard

I'm hoping to get these before I'm done with Null:
VMU save
Puru Puru support

One of the highlights of Null was my idea for having a debug mode that you can unlock. For those of you who haven't played Sonic 2/3/& Knuckles, listen up. After you beat the game you can manipulate the levels by doing things like placing tiles, enemies, editing levels, messing with blood levels, killing yourself, giving yourself life, etc. Pretty much you become god of the game and manipulate whatever you want. I hope to be able to save your level changes to the VMU in the near future. (People with DC keyboards will litterally be able to do ANYTHING, the controller doesn't have enough buttons...)

Null was originally supposed to be a minigame, but it kinda evolved into more than that. While it won't really be too long, it should be long enough and have enough extras to make it awesome...

Tiles are ripped by Showdin at TheChaosRift forums and are from Gemini Man's stage from MM3. We also have tiles ripped from SMB2 and 3 that aren't in any screenshots because I don't wanna give too much away.

My little brother Arce also at TheChaosRift forums has made the PC level editor and it's what we use to create them.

Like I said a deep thanks to Tvspelsfreak from the bottom of my heart who has taught me the arts of the DC Devver and has brought me from "I don't know printf loser" to what I am today.

Also, thank you to everybody else like JSL and MarauderIIC on TheChaosRift forums for all their help.

Please, any questions, comments, complaints, or anything are welcome here. Lemme know what you think and if you have any suggestions or things you'd like to see in Null. Oh, and if you want to keep up with the development (I actually post about once a day), join the forums at http://thechaosrift.com.
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Green Ranger »

Wow! :o

I guess I'll be the first to say that what you're doing is quite the ambitious project! It's looking good so far, and I look forward to seeing your future progress. Keep up the good work man! :D
Last edited by Green Ranger on Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Yea it is great as far. Their will be a few suprises :D.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
SeGaFrEaK NL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SeGaFrEaK NL »

I like it..seems odd but that doesn't mean it's bad. Keep up the good work..oh and try doing a 2p mode as well :wink: )()(
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

looking nice! :)
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Actually, I forgot about the "TileDemo" we made awhile ago. It is the same basic engine as Null, but it was originally written in SDL for the PC. I ported it to DC with the PVR a while back. Feel free to mess around with either of them...

Oh, and now that I look at it, I have the original SDL particle engine demo for PC there too. It's the same one that's in Null. Feel free to mess around with that too. ^_^

PC DCTile and Particle Demo:
http://www.thechaosrift.com/nestix/downloads/

DC DCTile Demo:
http://www.thechaosrift.com/nestix/downloads/dc/
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

I'm loving the Megaman 3 Genesis version Gemani graphics :P
Why not just go ahead and use the megaman sprite too? Capcom doesnt really ever sue anyone for using its stuff.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Hah, I'm pissed.

I got to Dominos for my interview. They sit me down and ask me a little about myself. When I got to the part where I was 15, they shit their pants. Then they said they can't hire 15 year olds.

Okay, weren't they obligated to check my damn app for 2 seconds to see how old I was before asking me to go to their stupid interview?

Looks like no money for me. I'll just have to remain a broke loser. Maybe I will have lots more time to work on Null...

Since I've got nothing better to do, start suggesting some additions!
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

I suggest you like about your job age next time as they hardly check over that shit. I had a job at 14.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

nice news posted both items over at http://www.dcemu.co.uk
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Holy crap, thanks WRAGGSTER.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

GyroVorbis wrote:Holy crap, thanks WRAGGSTER.
when did you change S/N ?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

quzar wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Holy crap, thanks WRAGGSTER.
when did you change S/N ?
awhile back. Super Sonic seemed too... generic.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Nice! I'm excited by what I see!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

GyroVorbis wrote: Super Sonic seemed too... generic.
sound logic there 8-)
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: New Homebrew in development: Null (screenshots and info)

Post by Warmtoe »

GyroVorbis wrote:Image
You know, that particle stuff reminds me a lot of a spray-can - would be a cool game (kind of like a 2D JetGrindRadio) if you had to go around spraying various objects in your 'gang colours' - of course, you could still use the same engine for blood and splashes etc - but it would give it some originality.
GyroVorbis

Re: New Homebrew in development: Null (screenshots and info)

Post by GyroVorbis »

Warmtoe wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Image
You know, that particle stuff reminds me a lot of a spray-can - would be a cool game (kind of like a 2D JetGrindRadio) if you had to go around spraying various objects in your 'gang colours' - of course, you could still use the same engine for blood and splashes etc - but it would give it some originality.
Actually, that's a good idea. Wow, I wouldn't of thought of that.

I might try it out to see if it works out.
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

Darn, I was a bit slow, but it's posted at DCS now. You can edit the news the way you want if you find error or if you want to add something. Just press the "edit this page" button in the speach bubble.

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... nnoucement
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Freeze wrote:Darn, I was a bit slow, but it's posted at DCS now. You can edit the news the way you want if you find error or if you want to add something. Just press the "edit this page" button in the speach bubble.

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... nnoucement
Thanks man, appreciate it. Sounds awesome btw.
Arce
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Arce »

I'm Arce, Gyrovorbis's brother. It is an honor to post on these forums. I cannot Dev for DC or anything, but I'm posting none the less to tell about the level editor. :D

The level editor is being made in Blitz Plus, a BASIC language for PC that contains some components of C++. It is not yet near complete. But, it is still useable and good for making Null levels. All of the screen shots you saw above were levels made form older versions of my null editor. :)

In its current state, it is only a tile layer. We are planning to add multiple things, but, unfortunately, I am not telling what.  Anyway, below are some screenz of some levels I made and loaded.

Those are two screenz with Megaman based tiles. Sorry about the grid being turned on, I forgot to disable it. :)

Anyway, if you notice, there are red lines. They mark the end of a screen on the Dreamcast, which helps with creating levels when taking scrolling into consideration.

Anyway, as there is a Megaman theme, there are also other themes under construction. Here's a few screenz:

I'm sure you can tell what this is immediately. Mario.

Yes, the Mario's ARE mixed together.

More Mario tiles.

Yes, mixed tiles. I actually think it looks good. Does anyone here agree? Disagree?

This is a screen without the grid on. And, again, it has mixed tiles.

I'd like to hear what you think. Yes, All of the above levels can and have been played on the Dreamcast and work fine. Thanks goes to anyone who reads this. :D

BTW, ALL Mario sprites here were ripped by Showdin, and the Megaman ones, with an exception to three of them, are by me. :D
A random person walks by you. He looks almost sad. do you talk to him? NO! He's a "Stranger" -.-