Anyone try Skype?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone try Skype?

Post by navi »

Found out about it here
http://news.deviantart.com/article/16902/
By aid of p2p technology, Skype 1.1 allows you to make high quality voice calls to other Skype users for free, irrespective of their geographical location. The SkypeOut service allows you t phone any landline or mobile in the world at local rates. Versions are available for Windows, Linux, OS X and Pocket PC.

Skype enables you to initiate voice calls with other Skype users anywhere in the world for free. The sound quality is claimed be superior to standard telephone calls, and your conversations are fully encrypted before being dispatched across the internet. There is no requirement to configure your firewall or router; you simply need to download and register to enjoy unlimited free voice calls to anywhere in the world. There is a sound setup guide to help you configure your computer's soundcard.

With SkypOut you can initiate a telephone call with anybody in the world, landline or mobile, for the cost of a local call. For more information about the new SkypeOut service, see this page. Note that calls between Skype users are still free.
Has anyone tried it out yet? It looks interesting and i'm tempted to give it a go
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

i have it installed. its free if you call others with skype. to call other phones costs money, but its fun for prank calls as you can make foreign calls to people for free. I called some poor japanese dude like 10 times =P
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

meh. overhyped imo. there are MANY other programs that do the same thing as skype, some have many more features (*cough* free world dialup *cough*). but because it was made by the almighty creators of kazaa, people make it out to be the end all solution to voip.

my advice to you is to do some searching for other free pc-to-pc voip programs and compare them for yourself first. i did this a while back and im more comfortable using free world dialup than skype mainly because it has many landline-like features (call waiting, 3-way calling, voicemail, 411 service, etc..) that simply do not exist in many other voip services (such as skype for example).

edit: i also forgot to mention that FWD supports many hardware SIP phones. just check their website.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Cheatah made me test it with him.. Its coolish.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Does the latest version install any sort of malware like Kazaa?
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

VOIP is a cool idea... I'd like to get rid of my phone, if I could find a good alternative. Haven't really looked into anything yet, though.

One step closer to voiceSPAM. :P
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

greay, FWD may be a good idea for you. completely free. you can even make free toll free US and UK # calls. you can also call other voip users for free even if they are on networks like vonage and packet8. and you can even get a landline number linked to your fwd account for a small monthly fee. and as mentioned above, you can use a number of hardware SIP phones and adapters with FWD.

there are MANY more features they provide, but their website lists them all.

of course vonage and packet8 are also good choices. pretty low prices last time i checked.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

you can even make free toll free US and UK # calls
I've seen this program before, but now im interested
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

If you have AIM 5.9, you can register for AIM Voice Conferencing. They give you 500 minutes, and you can just keep making different aims and emails, and do it again, and again..
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

btm4k wrote:Cheatah made me test it with him.. Its coolish.
Thats how I tested it many moons back as well, seemed an alright bit of kit
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Vchat20 wrote:greay, FWD may be a good idea for you. completely free. you can even make free toll free US and UK # calls. you can also call other voip users for free even if they are on networks like vonage and packet8. and you can even get a landline number linked to your fwd account for a small monthly fee. and as mentioned above, you can use a number of hardware SIP phones and adapters with FWD.
hmm... Looking into it.
EvilN wrote:If you have AIM 5.9, you can register for AIM Voice Conferencing. They give you 500 minutes, and you can just keep making different aims and emails, and do it again, and again..
What do you mean, "they give you 500 minutes" ... You only get a limited amount? iChat does the same thing, video conferencing, no "registering" for anything, and no cap. :/
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Enki-14
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Enki-14 »

I've have used Skpye to call south africa a few times.. The only thing I liked was that the pricing of the minutes were cheap/good value, in my case. Yahoo messenger allows you to voip too, but once again you have to buy minutes to do so.