CDi emu ???

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Arr
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CDi emu ???

Post by Arr »

I know that some people say CDi sucks but why not emulate it. People are working on emulators for almost every system so why not CDi. just because some people think it sucks is not a valid reason. can it be done? My guess is the system is not that powerful so why not try. Isnt emulators about preserving the systems ? because CDi needs help. :| :|

P.s please dont bash this topic. :|
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

isn't a CDI a different type of media then a cd-rom. Basically if that is true it would be impossible unless you had a CDI drive in your pc (which probably don't exist)

But I don't know much about them. I remember useing one when I was 17 and got my first job at Burger King (yes it sucked). But anyways there training was on CDI. It basically just let you watch a movie then you had to answer questions.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Arr
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Arr »

Are you talking about the philips CDi the one that plays Space Ace and the Three Zelda Games ? I too dont know anything about them But i heard someone started a emu and never finished ?
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Ya, someone has started a emu for it, it's called CD Ice.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Arr
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Arr »

I haven't looked at CDice yet, I was wondering if someone is willing or has done one for Dc.
SmitZo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SmitZo »

CD ICE ??? any idea if it's still being developed ?
AbsoluteXero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AbsoluteXero »

lats time i heard, it really only supported one game, and was not public
FarSight
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

CD Ice

Post by FarSight »

The last I heard CD Ice was still being worked on It only played one Game Rise of the Robots (A relly good game i must say :? ) It was very buggy too. But Its developer is one of the original CDI development team so it will msot likely get better.
I own a CDI and a lot of game's, It as a great console. But never found it real potental. :cry:
FarSight
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

CD Ice

Post by FarSight »

The last I heard CD Ice was still being worked on It only played one Game Rise of the Robots (A relly good game i must say :? ) It was very buggy too. But Its developer is one of the original CDI development team so it will msot likely get better.
I own a CDI and a lot of game's, It as a great console. But never found it real potental. :cry:

O, yes in answer to your question

No PC Emulator = No DC emulator
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Sorry to bump this up, but I had a no posting policy for some time here. :roll:

On to the news. Here in Europe the CDi was a great system but never made it. I think it is a perfect system to emulate on the Dreamcast. Al software wich was mainly informative (encyclopedia's etc.) ran directly from the disc.

Someone figured the filesystem out, and with a special driver you could read see contents of the discs in Windows. There was also a official CDi PC kit to use the CDi on the computer, but this was very expensive especially compared to a stand alone player.

dreamcastin2k2 is working on Dream CDi, a CDi emulator for the dreamcast! I don't think it is real but you never know, here is the link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dreamcdi/

I was really a CDi fanatic so if you have any questions about the system feel free to ask.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
AbsoluteXero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AbsoluteXero »

Arr
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

thanks guys

Post by Arr »

nice post Capt. Its nice to see people who appreciate emulation, even if its a old system and wasn't that popular. I can't stand the people who bash older systems. I posted this topic on a emulation form from a site with newer roms (big mistake) and they dumped all over the topic saying the Cdi sucks and doesn't deserve to be emulated. they give emulation a bad name.
Dreamcast Is Still Alive
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast Is Still Alive »

Sorry if I'm being the "sour apple" but that ain't never gonna happen. Cdi wasn't popular thus it isn't going to be developed by ANYONE.
Arr
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Arr »

Most people say that but I dont think jaguar was very popular or 32x or sega cd and there is emulators for them.
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

I think I once saw mad dog mcgree 4 it great game but I don't know anything about cdi eventhough I'm from holland the home of philips :s
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Holland where is that? I from the Netherlands ;).

Yeah, Drunkensailor I think you aren't old enough to have seen the time Phlilips introduced the CDi. Becuase Philips is our native country it really bombed us with all marketing stuff. Most CDi software was made in the Netherlands and most of the software language was also in Dutch!

It even supported the PhotoCD (also with much advertising by Kodak) and Video CD (a rather new standard in that time). A system far, far ahead of it's time. I don't think people weren't ready at the time it got introduced. I think that's why it failed.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Hey, im pretty sure Dreamcastin2k2 aint workin on CDi emu, if anyone read that topic "game talked about in #dcemu" we wanted a coder to make a great game for the DC, He wanted to help but made it quite clear he aint no coder. Im gonna go mail him newayz and get sum info :lol:
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Sirmorpheous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sirmorpheous »

atleast somebody around here knows something about CDI files and what they have in common with warez
51R/\/\0RP|-|30|_|5

emperordahc
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

CDi

Post by emperordahc »

Geeze, I remember Sears tryin' to cram the CDi into our hands. My dad laughed. (I think I was about 10 or 11.) What a controller.

Those Zelda games... geeze... bad. While being some of the first games that actually had streamed voices and animation, they were very, very lame, playwise. Why do you think Nintendo doesn't even acknowledge em? ;)

Sure would like to have those Zelda games... just to sit on a shelf. (Yea, they're on eBay.)