So uh... Anyone else see AVP?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So uh... Anyone else see AVP?

Post by navi »

Just went to go see the premiere and it was actually pretty good a lot better then other Versus movies (aka Freddy Vs. Jason)

had a fairly decent story right ammount of suspense and of course violence :lol:
Definately a Cult Classic :)

what's everyone else's thoughts?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

My thought is for you not to use acronyms in thread titles. What is AVP? :?
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

alien vs predator
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

melancholy wrote:My thought is for you not to use acronyms in thread titles. What is AVP? :?
Dictionary.com wrote: ac?ro?nym Pronunciation Key (kr-nm)
n.

A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.
AVP isn't a word, so it's an abbreviation. :P
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Roofus wrote:
melancholy wrote:My thought is for you not to use acronyms in thread titles. What is AVP? :?
n.

A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.
That dictionary's example sucks. I mean, what the hell is a WAC? Because it's certainly not a word either.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

thats the point. It is a new word formed by the first letters of a bunch of words. WAC's were the womans army corps during WWII, they were not called W-A-C's, they were wacs.

Or if you like you could use RAM, Random Access Memory.
Last edited by arrowhead on Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

melancholy wrote:
Roofus wrote:
n.

That dictionary's example sucks. I mean, what the hell is a WAC? Because it's certainly not a word either.
But you can pronounce it. So uh...yeah. Here's a better one:
Webster's Dictionary wrote:Main Entry: ac?ro?nym
Pronunciation: 'a-kr&-"nim
Function: noun
Etymology: acr- + -onym
: a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters : INITIALISM
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Actually.... the title of the movie is AVP the subtitle is Alien Vs. Predator so technically i am correct :lol:

:arrow: http://us.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0370263/S ... ey=0370263
)()(
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

when you say it though, you are saying A-V-P, not avp. In order for it to be an acronym, you have to actually say avp.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Roofus wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Roofus wrote:
n.

But you can pronounce it. So uh...yeah. Here's a better one:
Webster's Dictionary wrote:Main Entry: ac?ro?nym
Pronunciation: 'a-kr&-"nim
Function: noun
Etymology: acr- + -onym
: a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters : INITIALISM
Ah, but see, Webster says that an acronym is "an abbreviation formed from initial letters," and you said, "AVP isn't a word, so it's an abbreviation." And FBI (the example Webster gives) isn't spoken like a word (I'd love to hear how someone would pronounce FBI). So me saying AVP is an acronym is correct.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: So uh... Anyone else see AVP?

Post by gamedudex2 »

navi wrote:Just went to go see the premiere and it was actually pretty good a lot better then other Versus movies (aka Freddy Vs. Jason)

had a fairly decent story right ammount of suspense and of course violence :lol:

um no freddy vs jason was great..

alien vs predator crap.. they still didnt finish editing til this week.

also the had little gore in it. they made predator a complete pussy

catwoman owned compared to AVP

actually i just seen catwoman for the bad cheese factor plus halle but that all i knew was gonna be bad, but still not as bad as avp was, worst movie of this year that i've seen.

still resident evil 2 will top this ot equal it in being crap. but will never and i mean never ever top house of the dead movie, wait sorry, a movie will.. alone in the dark, it just might, because being filmed by same director that did house of the dead :(

actually alien vs predator was sorta good in early part then got worse and worse fast
Last edited by gamedudex2 on Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

navi wrote:Just went to go see the premiere and it was actually pretty good a lot better then other Versus movies (aka Freddy Vs. Jason)

Cult classic is thrown around to much. A movie that has been viewable for 24 hours can't have a cult following.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

melancholy wrote: Ah, but see, Webster says that an acronym is "an abbreviation formed from initial letters," and you said, "AVP isn't a word, so it's an abbreviation." And FBI (the example Webster gives) isn't spoken like a word (I'd love to hear how someone would pronounce FBI). So me saying AVP is an acronym is correct.
Shut up...
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

Lartrak wrote:

Cult classic is thrown around to much. A movie that has been viewable for 24 hours can't have a cult following.
rocy horror is a cult classic, killer klowns from outer space is cult classic, class of nukem high, and toxic avenger are also.. AVP hahaha um probbaly not
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Lartrak wrote:

True... but remember both franchise's already have a following to them. so as a result. Whether a fan of the Alien, Predator, or Both it does fit into the already existing Following and as such ahem a cult classic.

this isn't just a normal movie people have been waiting for this movie since at least '96. ;)
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

navi wrote:
Lartrak wrote:

True... but remember both franchise's already have a following to them. so as a result. Whether a fan of the Alien, Predator, or Both it does fit into the already existing Following and as such ahem a cult classic.

this isn't just a normal movie people have been waiting for this movie since at least '96. ;)
They've been waiting since 1990, the year of Predator 2's release. And anyway, the Alien series and Predator series don't have a cult following. They have a regular following. :P
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

Just got home from it an hour ago...
I liked it...

although some parts were REALLY REALLY cheesy...

Cash-grab, but at least it had some effort in it.

I'd watch it again.
"Ignorance can be cured, stupidity cannot."
Roofus wrote:Gay marriage and donkey rape are the same thing. Duh. :roll:
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

is it me, or are movies generally getting crappier and crappier?
SinTex
Admin Goku
Admin Goku

Post by SinTex »

weeperofsouls wrote:is it me, or are movies generally getting crappier and crappier?
Agreed 8-)
I am the hope of the universe, i am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace.
I am protector of the innocent, i am the light in the darkness. "I AM TRUTH".
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I want to know who won. I have no desire to see the movie but I put my money on Predator. My little bro saw it and he tried describing to me. It sounds like he didn't understand the ending right, or they left it open like Freddy VS Jason for a sequel.

Send me a private message if you want.