Windows DC Dev may be easier...

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
donkeyPunch
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windows DC Dev may be easier...

Post by donkeyPunch »

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/

Anyone tried useing this package from microsoft...
says it supports UNix commands such as make, gcc etc...
could this be used to develope, DC games, in a more familiar windows environment.. for us windows users that is? I am downloading it now!
spiroth10
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by spiroth10 »

not really sure if it could, because there is already a way to make dev-c++ work for DC development, and even a pre-modified version of Dev-C++ (I modified mine, and it works great!)

*checks page on another tab*

no... it doesnt seem possible. it's like a cheap cygwin clone, with less features. wouldnt help a bit, I dont think... Might even be harder to do! it comes with an SDK prebuilt, which isnt good, becuase i'm not sure if itd be possible to build the cross compiler needed (it might) but even so, itd be the same as cygwin if it even IS usable for dc Devving. I'd reccomend reading the dev-c++ integration tutorial or download dcfreedev, both are basically the same (do it yourself and you dont get GP32 support, but they are only sold in europe and maybe japan, so I really dont care much about it.)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

IIRC, That is basically a fork of the NetBSD codebase. It should be better than Cygwin, but I've not tried it, nor do I intend to. Knowing Microsoft, they've probably introduced several cans of worms into it in the process.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I don't think it'd work very well. It only works on Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional. There's no technical reason it wouldn't work on Windows XP Home, since it is in fact the same operating system, it's just that Microsoft want you to fork over more cash if you want any "advanced" features.

As spiroth10 said, it's basically the same thing as Cygwin, except it's less likely to be compatable with the tools we're using. Certainly won't be any easier to use.
mogorman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mogorman »

well i dont know, it should eventually replace cygwin, probably by longhorn, as they are currently intergrating sfu into windows core
-------------------------------------------------
some say the glass is half full
some say the glass is half empty
I say thank god they gave me a glass
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Yay! More of Microsoft stealing from people, and probably not giving them credit.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

well i dont know, it should eventually replace cygwin, probably by longhorn, as they are currently intergrating sfu into windows core
Err... no. Microsoft don't want their operating system to be Unix, or even compatable with it. The only reason SFU exists is to try to lure companies away from their existing Unix systems to Windows. They want companies to migrate their old Unix systems to Windows, rather than Linux, BSD or another Unix (like Solaris), and once there they want them to start using Windows-only stuff, to try to lock them in to using Windows for all eternity.
Yay! More of Microsoft stealing from people, and probably not giving them credit.
Yep. A lot of it's just taken from the BSDs (NetBSD and/or OpenBSD, I think).
ssj4goku128
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ssj4goku128 »

That is right. BA is correct. To be honest though, I couldn't give a diddly squat about Microsoft or the makers of the Unix for future OS's. I really don't care. Bill Gates is a genious at stealing and the Unix OS maker is a fool for not.
"So I gotta be carefull, can't let tha evil of tha money trap me
so when ya see me #@#$%
ya better holla at me "

Tupac Shakur[1971-1996]
Makaveli[1996-????]
mogorman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mogorman »

that is the point, the more he integrates it into his os the more he hopes to detur peoples need for unix systems, so if he makes crappy sfu at least intially people wont use it and it was a worthless development by ms, not the hasnt in the past. but black i guess we can agree to disagree
-------------------------------------------------
some say the glass is half full
some say the glass is half empty
I say thank god they gave me a glass