Fully playable SCUMMVM games

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Jinx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fully playable SCUMMVM games

Post by Jinx »

I just finished LOOM on dreamcast using SCUMMVM, game works almost flawlessly besides minor sound glithches when reading from the CD, Anyway, was just wondering how many other people finished any games on DC using SCUMM and how well they worked. Also has anybody finished any games using SARIEN DC or FREESCI and how they worked. Just want to know what I should play next. thanks
===========
12 Steps short of a program
===========
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Re: Fully playable SCUMMVM games

Post by MetaFox »

Jinx wrote:I just finished LOOM on dreamcast using SCUMMVM, game works almost flawlessly besides minor sound glithches when reading from the CD, Anyway, was just wondering how many other people finished any games on DC using SCUMM and how well they worked.
http://www.consolevision.com/forums/YaB ... 1086693074
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Thanks for the compatibility list MetaFox. :thumbsup: I haen't checked on ScummVM in a while. Too bad the daily builds for Dreamcast appear to be broken. :(
Jinx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Jinx »

Thanks for the link, but still not really what I'm looking for :lol: , that list doent do it justice. Id like to find out minor problems and stuff that affects the gameplay ("completely playable" is a little to vauge for me) Of course nothings going to come out absolutely perfect (not on ver 0.6.0 anywaY), and what about FreeSCI and Sarien...are those still being worked on and what one that somebody has finished with hardly any problems. I think I'll try to get through Beneath a Steel Sky (freeware !!!) next, and Ill let everybody know how it goes.
===========
===========
Jinx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Jinx »

Tried my Sega CD MONKEY ISLAND and to my surprise it worked, only problem was that it would only let me pick the very first choice in the dialog screen, even when I am using my keyboard.... then the game booted me when I was talking to the pirates in SCUMM bar, still pretty good for a SEGA CD game! Tried The DIG is to jerky everytime there is speech and it gets annoying to play. correctin unplayable resets when you blow up the asteroid at the very beginning.
===========
===========
DCCase
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DCCase »

Beneath a Steel Sky works great on the DC, although it did overload my memory card and crashed just once. Make sure you have a free card before playing, as it can take up a lot of space.

Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis works great as well, The Dig also works but as major sound issues, or it could be the condition of my cd, oh well. The Monkey Island games, 1 and 2 also work great.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Jinx wrote:Thanks for the link, but still not really what I'm looking for :lol: , that list doent do it justice. Id like to find out minor problems and stuff that affects the gameplay ("completely playable" is a little to vauge for me)
Um, it's not vague. I put a lot of effort in that list, and I don't appreciate you mocking it. The games are completely playable - as it says. If there are problems that affect gameplay I've mentioned it. The playability of those games are the same as it's PC counterpart. The only glitch that affects gameplay is the fact that the characters sometimes leave a trace of themselves behind in the V1 SCUMM Games (Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken EGA). I didn't feel the need to restate that as it's already in the ScummVM Compatibility List.

Also, all of the games which are "talkie" games have "minor sound glitches" as you call it when reading from the CD. It's not a glitch, it comes from the fact that the Dreamcast has to read the data from the CD instead of spooling it from a hard drive. Play the game straight from the CD in your PC and you'll find the "sound glitches" are also there. Except it's a lot worse since the speech is not buffered for playability on CD like it has to be for the Dreamcast. This was also not mentioned in the list because it's there for all the games with speech. This is unavoidable unless we get a hard drive or external storage unit set up for the Dreamcast.
Jinx wrote:Tried The DIG is to jerky everytime there is speech and it gets annoying to play. correctin unplayable resets when you blow up the asteroid at the very beginning.
From my "vague" list that "doesn't do [ScummVM DC] justice":

The Dig:
The Dig PC CD-ROM Release

Compatibility: Not Completable. Resets the Dreamcast after you set the bombs on the asteroid. The offending cutscene is skippable by pressing escape, but the game is unbearably jerky at times, and will eventually reset before the hole collapses with Brink.
Jinx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Jinx »

[quote="MetaFox]Um, it's not vague. I put a lot of effort in that list, and I don't appreciate you mocking it. The games are completely playable - as it says. [/quote]

Sorry Metafox, I didnt want to at all mock the list :cry: . Your right it is a good list and probably very accurate. I just wanted more 'personable' responses, thats all I meant. I wanted to know who finished what and if they had any problems at all (even minor annoyances), especially for FreeSCI. So I apologize for sounding like a prick and did not mean to take anything away from you, I'll watch how i reply to people next time :oops:

anyway...do you think at all that the CD-ROM issues will get better? Or will games like the dig be practically unplayable....
Thanks for the replies.
===========
===========
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Jinx wrote:Sorry Metafox, I didnt want to at all mock the list :cry: . Your right it is a good list and probably very accurate. I just wanted more 'personable' responses, thats all I meant. I wanted to know who finished what and if they had any problems at all (even minor annoyances), especially for FreeSCI.
I completed each and every one of those games on ScummVM DC. It took a long amount of time to test each game through, so I think you'll understand why I took offense to your comments.
Jinx wrote:anyway...do you think at all that the CD-ROM issues will get better? Or will games like the dig be practically unplayable....
V7 and higher of the SCUMM engine requires a lot more powerful of a setup than it's previous incarnations. So, ScummVM has to use the Dreamcast's limited RAM for processing the game, where it could normally buffer the speech. If Dan Potter is able to finish his DC-serial to USB project, then we'll be able to hook a USB hard drive, ZIP drive, etc up to the Dreamcast, and stream ScummVM games that way. As much as I'd love to be able to play Full Throttle, The Dig, Curse of Monkey Island, and the Broken Sword games straight from the CD, the only way they'll be playable is with an external storage device.

Freeze's GP32-DC cable is planned for this purpose. One of his main goals is to use the GP32's SMC to stream the game data to the Dreamcast for ScummVM DC.
frogcoin
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by frogcoin »

wow i already forget about that dc-usb project. it that is done what new improvements can be done? i guess we could use it to save games instead of a VMU
Jinx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Jinx »

Hey METAFOX, need you expertise....are all the minigames playable in SAM and MAX (and I consulted the link you gave me earlier first :wink: ....but it doesn't specifically say all of them im gonna finish the game anyway (along with BASS that im playing now) and was just wondering. Thanks .
===========
===========
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Jinx wrote:Hey METAFOX, need you expertise....are all the minigames playable in SAM and MAX (and I consulted the link you gave me earlier first :wink: ....

but it doesn't specifically say all of them im gonna finish the game anyway
The dress'em'up style game and the battleship game work for sure. I think ScummVM fixed the Surfing the Highway game - it doesn't say anything on it's compatibility list about it not working anymore. I'm not sure on this point though, since I didn't try it on my go-around of the game.

That was in the link by the way, you just had to read down to the replies ^_^
Jinx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Jinx »

Anybody notice any specific changes in the newer version? I know; before I get flammed I am too lazy and too short on CD-rs to check myself:) I don't expect people to go out and check FOR me, just if they have used t, any parts which may have been previously unplayable (The Dig) or any speed up, stuff like that. Thanks a lot. :roll:
===========
===========
InternetAddict
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by InternetAddict »

whoa whoa whoa hold on this thing plays sega cd games? why wasnt I informed?
One day there will be a Sega CD Emulator on the Dreamcast I guarantee you.
Jinx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Jinx »

Just one and not very well...Monkey Island, don't get any ideas :)
===========
===========
InternetAddict
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by InternetAddict »

That's still pretty damn awesome. I just tested it out to bad you can't get past the pirate part :(
One day there will be a Sega CD Emulator on the Dreamcast I guarantee you.
Jinx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Jinx »

Pirate part? The whole game is pirate parts :P
===========
===========
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

MetaFox wrote:
Jinx wrote:Sorry Metafox, I didnt want to at all mock the list :cry: . Your right it is a good list and probably very accurate. I just wanted more 'personable' responses, thats all I meant. I wanted to know who finished what and if they had any problems at all (even minor annoyances), especially for FreeSCI.
I completed each and every one of those games on ScummVM DC. It took a long amount of time to test each game through, so I think you'll understand why I took offense to your comments.
nice... 8-)
Smiles
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Smiles »

In the newer 0.6.1 release the DOS CD version of Day of the Tentacle crashes during the intro (brings you back to the DC Bios)

The DOS non talkie versoin of Simon the Sorcerer 1 does not load nor does the DOS demo for Simon 1. Yet both play on the Windows release.

And unfortunatley Flight of the Amazon Queen still crashes when you leave the hotel.
Jinx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Jinx »

Shoot, I was looking forward to FOTAQ working. Anybody try the dig and get past the explosion video without skipping it?
===========
===========