Having trouble making *anything* boot

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ghaleon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Having trouble making *anything* boot

Post by Ghaleon »

Well, I just replaced my dreamcast that was stolen from me. I bought a used one from somebody with a May 2000 manufacture date. It won't boot any of my old burnt discs, so I'm assuming that they sent it in for repair at some point and they updated the BIOS on the DC to the non-mil CD format. I have been hearing that there is a workaround for this, but I'm having trouble finding either a comprehensive guide to this, or one that doesn't use tools that I can't find (such as ISOFix).

I also have some games I had backed up previously(for fear one of my roomates might steal from me), and those won't work either. If it's illegal to request finding help for these here, no problem, but I still would like help finding a way to run all my DCEmu apps. Several of them are the non-selfboot editions, so if I could get a working boot disc, I could easly run my nesterdc, as well as dreamsnes and others. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer (other than find a new DC :P)
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

If it's got the newer BIOS that disabled Mil-CD capability, I'm afraid you're SOL.

And, asking for help with backups isn't something we allow here. (so now you know.)
Ghaleon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ghaleon »

So there's no truth to a work-around method?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

No, unfortunately. :(
Ghaleon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ghaleon »

Well, using Disc Juggler, the best I've been able to accomplish so far is getting it to freeze on the Dreamcast screen(well, just keep trying to load, without loading anything).... Don't know to take this as a sign for hope, or just try to get a new one...