Suggestion

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Methix
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Suggestion

Post by Methix »

With the realease of Chanka and the possible release of a Gamboy Advance emulator on the horizon, everybody knows there will be one-posters asking for warez or information pertaining to it. Therefore I propose this rule:

If a new users first post is pertaining to warez, they will be banned.

I think it would be completly fair because in order to use the forum, you must read all the rules which clearly state warez is not to be spoken off on the forum.

Let me know what you think.
~signature
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I'm not sure that's the best way to handle it, personally. Many people's first post violates the rules. When I catch something like that before the other mods/admins, I explain to them that what they are asking for is against the rules, and post a link to the forum rules and then lock the topic. When people start making multiple topics trying to justify their quest for warez and all that, then I can see banning them. For example, many people post here asking about 'that emulator we don't talk about,' but will stop asking when it's explained to them why we don't allow discussion of it and that there are alternatives to that emu, and will ask questions about GenesisPlus or DCGenerator instead. Others will be jerks about it and annoy the staff members in the process until they get themselves banned or other less-than-desirable consequences.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

OneThirty8 wrote:I'm not sure that's the best way to handle it, personally. Many people's first post violates the rules. When I catch something like that before the other mods/admins, I explain to them that what they are asking for is against the rules, and post a link to the forum rules and then lock the topic. When people start making multiple topics trying to justify their quest for warez and all that, then I can see banning them. For example, many people post here asking about 'that emulator we don't talk about,' but will stop asking when it's explained to them why we don't allow discussion of it and that there are alternatives to that emu, and will ask questions about GenesisPlus or DCGenerator instead. Others will be jerks about it and annoy the staff members in the process until they get themselves banned or other less-than-desirable consequences.
Heck, even Methix's first post violates something -it would most certainly fit in better in OT, even though there are no Chanka posts there, and this is where the majority of Chanka posts are.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I think inforcing the rules will get you less members. But better one's Might make a lot of people leave that beleive some how it's ok to constantly distroy topics with backups and why it's ok and call me names for sticking to the rules.

Example of this is in my topic. You dont have a right to your IMHO on this forum never should have the rules are what are the only opioion that matters.

People should be forced to read them more. 138 has the right idea. 3 to 4 more topics of the same thing over and over should be really looked at.

Maybe a warning or some thing. Geting to the fact i cant talk in my own topic with out warez talk in it and why i should let people use backups.

Sicking sick of it.
Dreamcast forever!!!
brucedeluxe
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by brucedeluxe »

I personally think it would help if you were a little more specific with the rules.

For example, it is against the rules for Ian to show development of commercial games on GBA Emu, it is unnacceptable for people to discuss commercial DC games backed up on Chanka, yet in the DreamSNES section, there exists a compatability list made up of mostly commercial games (which is stickied by a mod/admin), and topics about which (commercial) games work well etc.

Kinda confusing especially for someone new, they may see this and not know if something is acceptable/inacceptable, make a post, and if we followed the suggested rule, get banned without a reason.
Eat it the newbie way
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

My second post would have gotten me banned. I know 138 locked that one.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

brucedeluxe wrote:I personally think it would help if you were a little more specific with the rules.

For example, it is against the rules for Ian to show development of commercial games on GBA Emu
It's not. I asked him politely - not as a mod, but just as a concerned third party, not to post them. He agreed with my reasoning behind it, and posted homebrew game screenshots instead.
brucedeluxe wrote:it is unnacceptable for people to discuss commercial DC games backed up on Chanka, yet in the DreamSNES section, there exists a compatability list made up of mostly commercial games (which is stickied by a mod/admin), and topics about which (commercial) games work well etc.
It's not. I already told someone they could make a commercial game compatibility list for Chanka. My concern for Chanka was not that it played warezed games, but that it was the ONLY option. The authors heard the concerns, and are working on supporting homebrew. The emulator is out, and we can't stifle people from talking about it. What we can, and will, do however is lock any topic that has to do with the morality of the emulator (it's been discussed to death - and the legitimate concerns are already being addressed by the authors [this is addressed in the rules under flaming]). We also will not allow the discussion of backing up software (whether it be for Chanka or not), or the discussion of illegally obtained software or bios images. This is addressed in the rules under warez.
brucedeluxe wrote:Kinda confusing especially for someone new, they may see this and not know if something is acceptable/inacceptable, make a post, and if we followed the suggested rule, get banned without a reason.
Everything that is not allowed is in the forum rules. You mess with those multiple times, and you will be banned.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah I agree with metafox i made a mistake showing retail games on the gba emulator. I thought he made a good point and it hit home to me.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I think they should have a 3 strike rule and thats it...
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

MetaFox wrote:
brucedeluxe wrote:I personally think it would help if you were a little more specific with the rules.

For example, it is against the rules for Ian to show development of commercial games on GBA Emu
It's not. I asked him politely - not as a mod, but just as a concerned third party, not to post them. He agreed with my reasoning behind it, and posted homebrew game screenshots instead.
brucedeluxe wrote:it is unnacceptable for people to discuss commercial DC games backed up on Chanka, yet in the DreamSNES section, there exists a compatability list made up of mostly commercial games (which is stickied by a mod/admin), and topics about which (commercial) games work well etc.
It's not. I already told someone they could make a commercial game compatibility list for Chanka. My concern for Chanka was not that it played warezed games, but that it was the ONLY option. The authors heard the concerns, and are working on supporting homebrew. The emulator is out, and we can't stifle people from talking about it. What we can, and will, do however is lock any topic that has to do with the morality of the emulator (it's been discussed to death - and the legitimate concerns are already being addressed by the authors [this is addressed in the rules under flaming]). We also will not allow the discussion of backing up software (whether it be for Chanka or not), or the discussion of illegally obtained software or bios images. This is addressed in the rules under warez.
brucedeluxe wrote:Kinda confusing especially for someone new, they may see this and not know if something is acceptable/inacceptable, make a post, and if we followed the suggested rule, get banned without a reason.
Everything that is not allowed is in the forum rules. You mess with those multiple times, and you will be banned.
Forgot to say thanks for locking my thread about backing up games. The point was to show that even legal backing up (does it even exist, dosnt matter) is against forum rules.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

MetaFox wrote:Everything that is not allowed is in the forum rules. You mess with those multiple times, and you will be banned.
That's what people don't seem to understand about how the staff here operates - you're not on the 'to be banned as soon as Nyar signs on' list for your first minor offense if you're generally 'a good sport' when your topic gets locked, edited, or whatever the mods deem appropriate. I try to be nice about it the first time. I don't think anybody is expected to be perfect, but if I am repeatedly challenged (especially publicly) on a moderating decision based on one of the variations of the "I-don't-care-about-your-rules-I-wanna-warez" logic, their days posting on these forums may be cut short rather quickly because I will recommend them for a ban.