Shenmue BOR?

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Shenmue BOR?

Post by Chainfist »

Since Shenmue 3 looks a ways away.. anyone working on a Shenmue BOR mod?
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

How will you get sprites for this?
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

nice idea but really difficult to do since you will have to make the sprites.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chainfist »

hummm.. I've been looking into the BOR source. And given the sprites are on a GIF file, it is possible to do a video frame capture of Shenmue at 320X240 resolution while Ryo practices his moves or is in combat with other characters. These stills could be Photo Shopped to make up the sprites for his moves. ( I think it would give a Mortal Kombat style of realism in this case)

This could also be done with the First Person perspective in the game to take still shots of the environment for the backgrounds.

Also voice, music and sound effects can be captured from the video feed as well.

Though, it is likely that capturing still shots and recording the music is illegal in this case and with that in mind it may be better for me to produce the sprites myself and come up with original music, which would likely result in a game that sucks...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

It's not illegal, fair use - it wouldn't be any more illegal than regular BOR, which has copyrighted sprites and music out the ying yang. Well, I guess Canada might be different.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chainfist »

Yeah.. I think I'll go ahead with trying screen frame captures instead of producing sprites.

Talking with fans from work, we brainstormed some ideas and came up with a concept. a Pre-Shenmue #1 game. We're going to call it "Shenmue Zero".

Ryo, Masayuki Fukuhara and Nozomi Harasaki will be the main playable characters. The setting will be in Yokosuka prior to and including the initial encounter with Lan-Di.

Enemies will Include sailors, bikers, the 3 Yokosuka Punks, mean school girls, Forklift Drivers, Men in dark suits and black cars. Ryo will encounter them on his way home from school, not knowing the grim fate that awaits his father at the end of his destination.

Since Lan Di kicked Ryo's ass in Shenmue #1, I'll likely have to raise Lan Di's health bar so high he'll be nearly impossible to beat...
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

If someone did this... I would download this game in a second!!!

Shenmue is faaaaaaantastic! :mrgreen:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Good luck. It will be very difficult to get the proper sprites (just getting the right angle), but it should be possible with enough patience.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

I agree! This sounds very interesting, and I wish you the best of luck with it, also. It sort of reminds me of how someone was making a Tekken character into a BOR character, which gave it a different sort of appearance...

I'm also a big fan of Sega titles serving as inspiration for BOR modifications... A tribute to a Sega game, modified into another tribute to another Sega game and played on a Sega system -- It goes as well together as it should! :mrgreen:

BOR is sort of a "hybrid," though, of course... and, I think that hybrids are pretty cool in their own way, especially when the two (or more) involved appear to be similar in some way (and mutually beneficial!).

Anyway, back on topic. It is neat that you have people near you that you are brainstorming with, and it seems as though it will help out with development of this modification by a fair amount... I look forward to this; in fact, it is probably in the number one spot on my "looking forward to" list! :D
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Actually, you could make a Tekken character into a BoR character but it won't be really good quality. You can get it from Tekken Advance. Now...Shenmue...that'll be much much tougher. Besides, you probably won't get the same effect as the real Shenmue game unless you changed a lot of the code around so you can make it to where it's a working adventure title. I can see it happening, but it's going to take some clever coding to do this.
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

Oh... Tekken Advance? I didn't know that there was such a thing! I'll have to check that out, to see what the pixel art versions of the characters look like -- thanks for the tip! 8-)

I was thinking that a "BOR Shenmue" might be a 'brawler' interpretation of the original masterpiece, as opposed to a re-make of the game... After all, I think that one of the neat aspects about BOR is that it allows fans of games to create homages to their favorite game franchises in a style that might not be the same as the original -- Of course fighters and brawlers can go hand in hand very well, but, it can be very interesting to see modifications inspired by sources that might not necessarily jump out as "potential BOR modifications... " I agree that a Shenmue 1.5 (or 2.5?) would be very cool, but, i think that this Shenmue Zero will be an excellent addition as well! Perhaps there will be some neat little side stories along the way, to satisfy wishes for a more adventure-type game...

[edit] Well, that wasn't what I was thinking it would be -- Tekken Advance is indeed like a port of Tekken 3! That's pretty neat, but, I had imagined a from-the-ground-up pocket fighter like the ones on NeoGeo Pocket... Speaking of which; I still need to get one of those! Maybe I could find one before an upcoming road trip...
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Lartrak wrote:It's not illegal, fair use - it wouldn't be any more illegal than regular BOR, which has copyrighted sprites and music out the ying yang. Well, I guess Canada might be different.
LOL How in the world is this fair use? The original BOR is illegal as all hell.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

The original BOR is illegal as all hell.
Not if you took away all sprites, sounds and music :lol:

kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

I had a really stupid idea the other day but why can't we do a version on Shenmue for BoR with Ryo being a cosplay person? I mean sure it sounds stupid, but it would be much easier than trying to capture the bad quality sprites or even worse, trying to edit your own. This topic really has sparked my thinking process and I do think this one should be done one way or another. You can put in cutscenes to further move the game along but I would agree with the brawler type format for this Shenmue. :) If any of you guys are interested, reply back so we can get this ball moving like your ideas on a story or places or even people. Nizomi comes back from Canada? Maybe. Joy joins up with Ryo to get Lun Di? Maybe that too. Don't be shy. If you really wanna do it, let's start planning it. :lol: Let's pay tribute to our "fallen comrade."
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chainfist »

I always thought since Nozomi went to Canada. Its Possible the story line for Shenmue 3 may have ties to Canada. Such as Lan Di hide'n out in China Town and holding Nozomi hostage. Ryo having to decide between her life and letting Lan Di have the power he seeks...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

farrell2k wrote:
Lartrak wrote:It's not illegal, fair use - it wouldn't be any more illegal than regular BOR, which has copyrighted sprites and music out the ying yang. Well, I guess Canada might be different.
LOL How in the world is this fair use? The original BOR is illegal as all hell.
I just read the copyright law. You are correct, unless you really stretch the reason BOR was made in the first place.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Just a teaser...

Post by kungpow12345 »

Braze and kungpow12345 to make....
Shenmue! More later...
Last edited by kungpow12345 on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

:o

kungpow12345, are you doing something for everything? :lol:

Definitely a "modder of rage" -- The BOR modification multitasker! :wink:
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

I'm a man of many talents, what can i say :)
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

All I can say is...