So where did your DC obsession start?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

So where did your DC obsession start?

Post by GyroVorbis »

What got you hooked on Dreamcast? Was it Samba De Amigo? Phantasy Star? Resident Evil Code: Veronica? C'mon spill it.

I remember when my life long addiction started. Ahhhhhh... It seems like just yesterday.

You remember Sonic Adventure 1, don't you? Of course you do, no DC owner is without it. I'd play that game everyday. I went through some really rough times with that game. I remember at parts it got so hard I wanted to shatter it. But I just held on and kept playing. Okay, so you wanna hear what really got me?

----------------Danger! Sonic Adventure 1 Spoiler Alert!----------------------
The very end. After comitting my life to that game. I finally got what I wanted. I wanted to kick somebody's butt! I got even more than that. To my surprise Sonic was encircled by the chaos emeralds. My heart started beating faster. AND HE TURNED YELLOW! I was like hell yeah! Just to add to my already heavenly experience that heavy metalish Open your heart showed itself in the background. Oh god, it was like heaven. I was skidding on the water as super sonic. I rammed Perfect Chaos to hell. That inexplainable feeling is what started my life long addiction to dreamcast.

What about you?
aflyingcow
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by aflyingcow »

Shenmue.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

I got mine on launch with HOTD2.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

nfl2k and the web browser. i had no PC and DC was my only source to connect to the internet. i still use it that way, too.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

9.9.99...............Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Tokio Xtreme Racer......... untill today, i havent given up my obsession with the DC. :wink:
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Crazy Taxi. All i wanted a DC for at the time was Crazy Taxi
ShedTheGhost
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ShedTheGhost »

NBA 2K1 & Shenmue, i remember my 1st dreamcast i got off Ebay like 2 weeks after Shenmue came out...

unfortunately i was a victim of the PS2 hype & turned my dreamcast in 4 $$$ goin towards the PS2 but all is not lost cuz I just recently got my hands on another dreamcast
Kanye West is the future
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I liked my DC a lot when i first got it. But I didnt get glued to the TV set till Quake 3 Arena came out. I had never played a online game before. I set up like 7 Free seganet accounts, till Sega called me back one day asking how I had some many open. THAT was funny,lol.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Just the console itself. Being SEGA helped a lot too :wink:

I love SEGA, and I loved the graphics on the DC. Put them together and it was a match made in heaven! )()(
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

Sonic Adventure and NFL 2k1,
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

Back when it 1st came out i wanted it badly. but as the budget in this household sucks, i never got it. up till a few months ago i never even bothered with it. wasnt even anywhere in my mind. but in Janury, i got a bit of money for returning a defective xmas gift. used it to get my DC and SA1 and SA2 and ever since ive been hooked.
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Fatboy11 »

when i saW the demo of sonic adventure i had to get one , so i got one from a friend for ?20 because he got it for christmas and never played it..
RESULT.
that was the first one and i have had loads since
sonic adventure 1 was good .. But SONIC ADVENTURE 2 ... HELL YEAH!!
8-)
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

i thought sonic adventure 1 was much better than 2... at least in one your not subjected to have to play as a certain character just to advance. thats what i hated about 2 if you werent good at finding those emerald pieces w/ knuckles or rogue you were screwed. im still stuck on the dark side tryin to find the pieces with rogue in that 5min timed level. i just got my DC and sonic adventure and the whole homebrew scene is what made me get it. ive been playin the hell out of it since i havent even hardly touched my gamecube or ps2. now for super sonic's spoiler... do you have to get a 100% on every character for that to happen? cause i got a 100% on the sonic levels and the biggest chaos got was chaos 6 and then i went aganist the Egg Viper. SA 1 had much more of the old school sonic vibe than 2 especially in the levels where tails tags along
ambientdistortions
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ambientdistortions »

Power Stone.
Virtua Tennis.
Rush 2049.

These 3 titles... on demo cd's... were played for days upon days.
Never in my life... have I been able to play strictly demos of games and play them for
so long and actually enjoy them so much.

I bet 3 of my friends and myself continously took turns battling each other out on these 3
demos until we were so tired we couldn't play anymore. Pizza - Drinks & Dreamcast... it was heaven! At that moment I knew if the demos were that good then the complete games are must have blasts! :)

So I picked me up a DC with Power Stone and man.... we met up every day for like 3 weeks straight to continue battling it out on that game and beat it individually of course.
Pretty much ever since then (until just recently in the past couple of months on and off)
A group of friends and I would all gather on a Sunday night and just jam away on the Dreamcast... Virtua Tennis (haha, this is probably why we won the tournament at Midwest Classic 2k1, Rush 2049, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, UFC, Power Stone.... and many more.

Thankfully the emulation scene had gave our gatherings a boost. When I got me hands on NES with loads of games.... we went old-school for 3 days non-stop. I can't say there has
been any other console where 3-4 of us would sit there... play games from dusk till dawn and do it all over again 2 more days in a row... rotting off of pizza or jump out for a quick "blow some stink off ya and mcdonalds;) " haha....

Those were some great times... .... sadly as of late time and schedule conflicts have kept us
from doing those once fun non-stop nights/days like we once used to but we still manage to meet up and blast away every now and again :)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Maximo2703 wrote:i thought sonic adventure 1 was much better than 2... at least in one your not subjected to have to play as a certain character just to advance. thats what i hated about 2 if you werent good at finding those emerald pieces w/ knuckles or rogue you were screwed. im still stuck on the dark side tryin to find the pieces with rogue in that 5min timed level. i just got my DC and sonic adventure and the whole homebrew scene is what made me get it. ive been playin the hell out of it since i havent even hardly touched my gamecube or ps2. now for super sonic's spoiler... do you have to get a 100% on every character for that to happen? cause i got a 100% on the sonic levels and the biggest chaos got was chaos 6 and then i went aganist the Egg Viper. SA 1 had much more of the old school sonic vibe than 2 especially in the levels where tails tags along
1. I agree with you about the "forced" character switching in Sonic Adventure 2; I didn't care for that. It is an interesting new direction they were trying to take the series in, but I think it was *much* better executed in Sonic Heroes (which, in my opinion, had more of that classic "Sonic vibe" than either of the Adventures...despite its unfortunate lack of availability on a Sega system :-P).

2. That said, I still enjoyed SA2 more than 1. The game was more challenging, had better framerates, more refined controls and prettier eye-candy (:-D), and the actual Sonic levels just felt more Sonic-y than the Sonic parts of SA1. Plus, I didn't particularly care for the "adventure fields."

3. On a somewhat unrelated note, I think Sonic Adventure 2 had probably one of the most disgusting endings ever in a video game :-P. From all visual appearances in the cutscenes & gameplay, here's what happened: Sonic and Shadow jerk off together on the Chaos Emeralds, becoming SuperSonic and SilverShadow respectively. Then, they have to go save the world by popping the zits on a dinosaur that has a spaceship stuck up its arse. And this is supposed to be a children's game! ;-)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...As for answering the question, I wouldn't really call it an "obsession" for me; it's just the system that looked most appealing when I was in the market for something new. Here's why:

1. Price- the Dreamcast was the only 128-bit console selling for under $100...I got my first one at sixty, if I remember--comparable to the price of "legacy" systems such as the PSone and then-recently-outmoded N64. Its games were all being discounted as a result of the then-upcoming cancellation.

2. Game selection- At the time, the PS2 was only a year or so old, and the GameCube and xBox were the "big new things," completely in their infancy. There's no way on Earth I could afford to buy a new console at launch on my budget, and there really wasn't much on the PS2 that wasn't either available or had a counterpart on Dreamcast, since up 'till then, they'd pretty much been filling in the same time-period gap in the game industry. Plus, the "traditional" game companies (Nintendo and Sega) always seemed to have more interesting (and a wider variety of) first-party titles than conglomorates such as Sony and MS.

3. A few specifics- The VMU is, in my opinion, an OUTSTANDING technological idea. I remember Sony coming out with the Pocketstation to try to fight back against DC, but nothing really utilized it, so they kinda died off. Also, there were a few Sega-exclusive titles that really had me going: the Sonic games, SoulCalibur (this was before 2 was announced--I still prefer the timing in the 1st one, anyway), Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, and Castlevania Resurrection are the ones I can remember being the big draw for me at the time. With its capabilities and list of titles, it also felt like it would help "make up" for my numerous disappointments with the Saturn (all the cancelled games ie. Sonic Xtreme and Shenmue, and how most of the best titles never made it to the US).

4. Nobody had one- Most of my friends either had the "older" N64, or had thrown their lot in with the PS2...so I could play those systems at their houses whenever I wanted. DC gave me something fresh and unique.

5. Homebrew- I'd already been tipped off to the possibility of emulation on the Dreamcast, which was another major draw, as my NES had just recently bitten the dust. I did some research online, and actually ended up finding this site not too long after getting my system. There were already a few interesting homebrew games out, as well as some fledgeling emulators, and the ease with which these could be burned gave me hope that the system would continue to provide even after its commercial life was over.

So yeah...that's that.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Maximo2703, in SA1, sadly, you have to get 100% with every character to get to the awesome part. That stupid 'big the cat'. That was the roughest part in the whole game. I almost gave up.

Lately I've gone into a deep depression being a huge fan of the ending fights on Sonic games. Has anybody here gotten to Super Sonic on Sonic Heroes? Good lord! Those emeralds are sooooooo hard to gather. Not to mention they are extremely pointless.

I have to agree with DaMadFiddler about the VMU. That is one of my favorite parts of the Dreamcast. I remember those lazy summers. My friends and I would all get our chaos from Sonic Adventure and upload those mugs to our VMUs then we'd hike up the hill to our treehouse and all four of us would just go psyco with those VMUs for hours. Those things were so much fun. I can't believe that nobody has tried to copy them for another console. I sure would!

Another thing about Sonic Adventure 2. Them grind shoes. Ever since I laid my eyes on them. I WANTED THEM! I finally got them. Ever since then I'd been in and out of detention for grinding rails at my school. Got soaps? You should get them. They are so worth it. Now if only I could turn my hair yellow and spiky. Then I'd have that whole sequence going...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Heh--forgot about the Soaps :-P. I always thought they were kind of dumb (both those and the shoes that had the little pop-out rollerskates in the heels), especially since they were SO HEAVY to wear...but perhaps that's because I'm a runner, and I'm used to light footwear :-P

But now that I can think about it, you can really tell--just from the games--when Sega was having a bit of a hard time financially: Their premiere action/adventure character became a poster boy for Soaps, Monkey Ball hit the arcades literally coated in Dole banana labels, and their previous financial upset--the one between the Saturn and the Dreamcast--was highlighted by the arcade hit Crazy Taxi, which pumped out new-release Offspring music and was full of licensed-advertisement locations such as Levi's outlets and KFC.
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Fatboy11 »

Maximo2703 wrote: im still stuck on the dark side tryin to find the pieces with rogue in that 5min timed level.
try this ... if you got enough lives , if you cant find it .. intentionally die , you will keep any you already got and the positions will move

hope this helps you. and yes i agree , big the cat should be shot!!!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Well, he doesn't get SHOT, per se...but if you watch closely, you do see him running down the hill at the beginning of the truck-chase scene in the first level of SA2. And quite often, the G.U.N. truck will send a parked car flying into him :-P