GOAT - Dreamcast Game Competition

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GOAT - Dreamcast Game Competition

Post by goatdan »

After the success of the DreamON Contest, the GOAT Store, LLC has announced a new Dreamcast homebrew contest entitlled the Games Of All Types (GOAT) Contest.

People submitting games will be asked to make a short arcade-type game. These games must not be direct ports of existing games, and must not include any copyright material. All gameplay must be altered from the original releases.

The final disc will include an intro screen and menu featuring a high scores table for all of the games programmed by Dan Potter of Cryptic Allusion, LLC. Many different games will be included on the final disk.

The winning entries may either win $40.00 and two copies of the finished compilition disk if they do not release the game as freeware, or $20.00 and one copy of the finished compilition disk if they do. Homebrew projects that have already been made and released are eligible to be included, but may have to be modified slightly to utilize the high score feature. Developers may enter more than one game.

The contest entries will be judged by Dan Loosen and Gary Heil of GOAT Store Publishing. The final number of games on the compilition disk will be determined based on the number of differing entries we have received.

The contest will run until August 31st, or until 20 winning games have been submitted, whichever comes first.

To limit multiple entries of the same type of game and to greatly enhance your chance of winning, we suggest that you declare what type of game you are working on. We will post it on the official contest page, which will be constructed soon, so that others do not do the same concept. By doing so, we should be able to maximize the number of winning entries.

Examples of game styles that could be used:

Time Pilot
Amidar
Snake
Robotron 2084
Moon Patrol
Donkey Kong
Blue Print
Crush Roller
Burger Time
Qix
Asteriods
Gorf
Galaxian
Pong
Space Invaders
Breakout
Lady Bug

A page detailing the contest will be constructed soon!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

this is awesome news!!! Great idea Dan! :P
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Yaay more motivation, these things just keep on comming, its great.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

... just thought I'd put this at the top of the forum to ensure it gets everyone's attention... This is awesome news.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Cool I could prolly do some of them styles.
Dreamcast forever!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Hmm... Interesting.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

BlackAura wrote:Hmm... Interesting.
Wasn't somebody we know currently working on a clone of a popular arcade game?
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

The contest will run until August 31st, or until 20 winning games have been submitted, whichever comes first.
How will you know you have the best 20 before the date comes around? wouldn't it be better just to wait until August 31st then judge them all.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

OneThirty8 wrote:
BlackAura wrote:Hmm... Interesting.
Wasn't somebody we know currently working on a clone of a popular arcade game?
Yep. It's not really that original though.

Hmm... How about a side-scrolling beat-em-up? Not the one I was doing for Dream On. Something a little like Little Fighter 2, if anyone's actually played that. For the high-score thing, some kind of survival mode would be good. See how many waves of enemies you can dispatch before you die, or run out of time. Get bonus points for doing cool stuff, finishing a wave really quickly, or that kind of thing.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

http://www.consolevision.com/forums/YaB ... 1079798463

I guess ideas should be traded betwen these two threads.
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

ahh, cool very good news
carbon14
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by carbon14 »

Well,

I'd like to work on a vertical shoot em up, something reminiscent of the work of the Bitmap Brothers' Xenon (only not as good obviously)

But don't hold your breath, I don't think I've ever finished a hobby project in my life :wink:
Oh my god, he's one of those cyborgs.

Luckily he's on our side.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

just a question could you use the K.E.T.M. engine that just got ported to make the game?.If so I think I'll have to work on this.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

This was sort of mentioned in the CV topic, but I thought I would throw this idea out there:

There has (for the 8 or 9 months I have been involved here) always been a significant interest in seeing Out Run emulated through MAME. Unfortunately, no one ever got it working well enough to release it. It would be cool to see someone work on an Out Run type of clone for this contest. It was mentioned over at CV that the player could get points for passing cars, but I think the distance traveled, and the time left on the timer would be good opportunities for points as well. This would be really sweet.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

K.E.T.M... I honestly don't know much about it. If you had permission from the original developers and the ones that ported it, I guess I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. Anyone else want to update me about this?

Curt, you're playing with my heart... OutRun was one of my favorite old games (along with most of the others I named above) and I would LOVE to see something like it in this compilition.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

did get outrun near fullspeed with out sound but i did not think that was good enff.

ketm the author has stoped working on it and i cant contact him at all so i doubt it be ok. port has some problems that need fixing as well. it's a great game no doubt.

I only did a dev port release of it has problems with control some times and freezes.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I like to know Any one got some thing or working on some thing for this. I not want to do the same style of game if i was to Attempt it.

I could do some type of arcade like space invaders with a twist.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Tvspelsfreak
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

Well, It looks like me and Styrofoam are gonna enter with a vertical helicopter shmup. :D
https://github.com/tvspelsfreak/texconv - Converts images into any texture format supported on the DC.
Tvspelsfreak
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

I'll also enter with a 1-4 player Gauntlet style game. :D
https://github.com/tvspelsfreak/texconv - Converts images into any texture format supported on the DC.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Neat ive got my work cut out so much to do.. But yeah that will be cool. may the best 20 games win ! :D
Dreamcast forever!!!