Windows CE posibilities?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Gh0sTly
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windows CE posibilities?

Post by Gh0sTly »

I am new to Developing for the Dreamcast, I am currious as to if there is a Distro of Windows CE availible for this little Powerhouse. I tried the distro of linux, and found it to be slow, and to much for the DC to handle and be somewhat productive. I am curious to make it a "set top" kinda system with the use of a disk, i.e. no hardware mods. I know that WinCE is MUCH like windows in the way it opperates, and looks. I also know that some games were built for this system using WinCE. Is this at all possible?
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

There is the WinCE SDK, but is illegal, and is not what you think.

It doesn't have a GUI, or most things that are common in the PC Windows.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Windows CE on the Dreamcast works in much the same way that Windows 2000 does on the Xbox.

Essentially, you've got the kernel, a cut-down version of DirectX, a couple of other libraries, and that's it. The whole OS runs only the program you've written for it.

The DC distro of Linux, on the other hand, worked like a PC, which is hardly suitable for a games console. And it's based on a really old version with limited hardware support...
SuperLevel
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

wince

Post by SuperLevel »

I had thought about the same thing and had found a win ce sbi i will try to find it again.