Do I need the Original Quake to be able to burn the Raptors

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Mustardseed
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do I need the Original Quake to be able to burn the Raptors mod?

Post by Mustardseed »

I was just wondering because I would like to burn a selfbooting copy of "Raptors" to play, but I don't have the original Quake. Thanx.
--mustardseed
biohazard
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

argh

Post by biohazard »

No, Raptors needs the full version Quake files. But you can get Quake 1, 2, and 3 for the low low price of $29.99!
Mustardseed
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Thanx but...

Post by Mustardseed »

Thanx. Are there any mods or "total conversions" that work with QuakeDC that dont require the original files ?
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

I havent gotten to try any yet. (Their hard to find)
Ive seen a few that were shareware that are worth trying...
100% true TCs are rare... except here recently people are releasing engine spacific TCs for PC. (Engine spacific as in it requires a custom built version of GLquake) Unfortunatly since they require special things from the engine QuakeDC wouldnt be able to run any of them.

There is a commercial TC I'm trying to find called Malice. I'm hoping it would be compatable.

The tanx mod could be made into a TC somewhat easily... I'm pretty sure future incarnations will bring that closer to reality. (thinking seriously about doing an offshoot mod from it myself)
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Chalavet »

I heard some years back someone working on a TC of Wolfenstein 3d. Is there one in existence? I think it would be quite cool playing a newer Wolfenstein (especially since R2CW). Also, what necessarily makes a level playable for Quake DC? I guess I am asking a lot. I've got Quake, and I would like to see what can be done with all of the stuff that is out there.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

TC of Wolfenstein 3d...

I've never heard about it... If I see it somewhere I'll mention it here.

what necessarily makes a level playable for Quake DC?

That seems to depend on the level...
I have loaded maps larger then 1.4MB just fine. 100% playable. (which I myself was toting as the max size for awhile)
Ive tried loading 250KB maps that simply would not load at all...
Many maps that are wide open have trouble in Quake in general... but QuakeDC really doesnt like them.
Extremely detailed maps have whats called 'high r_speeds' in some areas. This means that large numbers of polygons need to be drawn in those areas. If your playing and go through that area in QuakeDC the gameplay will slow down and start studdering.

Basicly all I can say is... If you have a map and wanna try it on dc try it. Report you results back here or on the (soon to be open) form on http://quakedev.dcemulation.org

Something the average person wouldnt know how to (or have the tools to) check is the worldspawn area of the entity list of a map. I've found QuakeDC doesnt like the _sunlight key in worldspawn which is used by custom light.exes (for setting up the lights when compiling maps) and some custom pc quake engines. I'm sure QuakeDC will have problems with some other keys too.
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Chalavet »

It is just too bad that TS didn't use one of those specialized/homebrew versions of the quake source code kind of like the difference between the 2 maps in Raptors (kind of like a before and after if you ask me). The TC of Wolfenstein 3d for Quake was something I read on the news section of 3dRealms, but I cann't remember how long it has been.

In terms of making levels for Quake, I have seen several level makers. Is there one that is "better" than the others on the market?
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Hmm... think your probibly talking about level editors. There are a few good ones...

The most common and popular is probibly Worldcraft. If your just starting out making levels its probibly the one I'd recommend. Most of the common level editing tutorials are written for it... Its the one I use whenever I decide to make a level.

Quark is a multipurpose editor... It does maps, models, and more... I use it sometimes. It can even edit a BSP (an already compiled map)

Qoole used to be popular... but its rather outdated now. Same with Thred.

If your creating maps on a Mac then I beleave your only choice is Quiver.

Worldcraft and Quark can both be used to edit maps for many other games like Quake2, Half-life (and its offshoots), Sin, HexenII, etc. They can even do Quake3 to a point. Neather are as powerful as Qradiant though.

Of course if you bucks up or happen to have it... 3dstudio Max can be used to make Quake levels too.... You just need a small program to convert your .3ds files to .map.
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

The only problem with Worldcraft is that the last version that could do Quake was 1.6. Ben Morris (name?) got hired by Valve and made WC 2.0 Half-Life only. The plan was to make a version that could do tons of games, which turned into the cancelled Worldcraft Pro. WC 1.6 was only available as a patch for the registered 1.5c, and 1.6 was the one that added Q2, H2, etc. 1.6 was actually delayed to the point of cancellation but it was eventually released anyway. Of course, since the company that faclitiated WC registration, ACD Systems, is long since gone,. this doesn't leave you too many WC 1.6 options. Maybe GtkRadiant (Quake 3 editor) will come through with its promise of adding Q1 and Q2 level support.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Something I did... I installed WC 1.6 then I installed the halflife only version overtop of it. This gave me a registered 2.0 version that could be used for Q1, Q2, and HL. Not sure it would work for everyone... but it did for me :)

Worldcraft has some simple scripting files (see the .fgd files) that allow support for other games to be added as well.
Check http://www.planetquake.com/worldcraft/ for info on how to make your own.
AbsoluteXero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AbsoluteXero »

http://www.qamalice.com/ = malice tc site