Got DCLinux to work?!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DarkHALO
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Got DCLinux to work?!

Post by DarkHALO »

Hello again,
After much hassle with DCLinux I was just wondering if anyone here has actually got it to work (from CD)? If so, could you tell me how/where to get a ready-to-boot working copy (I would be amazingly thankful).
The bootable image from fivemouse.com appears to be in the wrong mode (mode 1 cd as opposed to the mode 2 that I believe all DC games need to be in).
I took some files from the CD and booted them from a mode 2 disc and it worked, but as Windows can't recognise certain Linux native files I cannot copy and burn all needed files this way and so what I did get to run simply passes the RedHat Kernel boot before stopping-due to needed files not being able to be found).
I'd really like to get the release to run and so I really would be amazingly greatful for any help, guidance or files.
Thanks again and take it easy,
Pip (DarkHALO)
-Aiming to push the boundaries of story telling using all means of entertainment and new talent to produce unparalled experiences...

DARKHALO2K
BlackxKnight
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BlackxKnight »

as would i because ive tryed the current release and it dies after a while of trying to boot...but i also did convert the CDI to an NRG so that might have messed it up.
BxKreations Now much more than just Mugen.
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

Use the image from fivemouse.com, it's correct. DC Linux has to burnt wierd, so that's it's compatable with both the DC, and Ext 2 (which is meant for hardisks, not CDs).

Keep in mind that you need the keyboard for DC Linux to remotely usuable, and a mouse is highly recommended addition.
DarkHALO
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DarkHALO »

Hi Tom, thank you very much for the info. However, could you possibly elaborate a bit for me please? I have a mouse and keyboard and so I can fully take advantage of the release, but what do I need to make sure i'm doing whilst setting up the burn so that it becomes bootable in my DC? I previously used Deamon Tools to mount the image and Instant CD+DVD to burn it (if that matters).
Thank you very much for your time and help with me here, I very much appreciate it.
Take care,
Pip.
-Aiming to push the boundaries of story telling using all means of entertainment and new talent to produce unparalled experiences...

DARKHALO2K
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Well, I burned the image using Nero, and it worked absolutely fine for me. I don't know of any way to recreate the image without using Linux or another Unix-like OS though. Windows won't work for it.
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

You need to burn it in the proper version of disc juggler, or convert the image to NRG and burn it with Nero (converted and burned with Nero).

Don't run any selfboot tools, ISO extractors, etc. over the image, (only the image converter, if needed) it's correct as-is and by doing so you'll mess it up.