Lights Out On Online Dreamcast Games

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lights Out On Online Dreamcast Games

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

After just visiting the Magic Box today, there is a report that all online DC games are getting switched off. The only games that will remain on will be the PSO ver. 1 and ver.2 servers, as it is stated:

D R E A M C A S T

- Sega of America announced that effective June 2003, most of the online Dreamcast game servers will be switched off. Only two games will receive continue support, they are Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, no other Dreamcast titles will be playable online after this time.

So if you haven't gotten online to play, then you should do so now. I for one have not gotten online to play anything, although I have tried several times to get online. O well....
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

I thought they had all already been shut down
this is my signature
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

No they, still worked after January 1st of this year. So SegaNet was free for almost a year. The only games that had any players though, were PSO and NFL2K2. And NBA2K2, on Sunday mornings.

For me, the only fun game was NFL2K2. NBA2K2 suffered from a lot of lag, and I never really got into PSO. Man if that game would have been a real RPG, it would have been a perfect game.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Meh, I've moved on and away from online Dreamcast games now, I plan to be getting Xbox live soon anyway :mrgreen:
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

I really need to get my Dreamcast hooked up to my PC - I haven't been online with a console since I got broadband (except through Xbox Connect to play Halo Online :D) and I really want to do challenge mode with either of my two characters to get a named weapon :) It would be nice to play some other games online one last time too, like Chu Chu Rocket.

I tried once, but it didn't work - anyone know any common downfalls? I did hear at one point that it doesn't work with PAL Dreamcasts - anyone know if that's true?
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

I wonder if this will affect speed devils. 4x4 evo, and the other games that are not run by sega will likely be unaffected.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

:sniff: :(
well i was told on PSOv2 last night that UT was down. then I went to the sega site and it said all of em all going down. I know quake 3 and 4x4 evo will stay up due to pc players can host a server. and 4x4 evo is run by gamespy for pc/mac players too. so it looks like we get to live off those games for now. I need to get some serious OT time in with my friend. Anyone wanna play Worms world party, or starlancer if they are still up today? At least we sill have pso, I just wish more americans would buy Hunters licence and put more money into it.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I just wish more americans would buy Hunters licence and put more money into it.
People would rather go play the updated Gamecube/Xbox versions...heck if your gonna play a game, may aswell play the most updated version.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I heard GameSpy Arcade now runs the servers for UT.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

wonder if this will affect speed devils. 4x4 evo, and the other games that are not run by sega will likely be unaffected.
No, 4x4 evo will stay on way longer because its on PC too. (Maybe even mac)
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

cant someone run there own server for these games? I never played online so I dont know.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Quake 3 Arena will always be playable online as long as people host from their PC's and have the DC Map Pack and proper release.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

I wonder if sega would lend out the IP addresses so someone with a T1 could host the games?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Yep, I'm sure they'll just hand 'em over like nothing.
It's thinking...
Klonoa
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Klonoa »

It was a good run while it lasted.. I never got the chance to play BomberMan Online (I'm still buying it if I ever find it though)..
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

|darc| wrote:Yep, I'm sure they'll just hand 'em over like nothing.
lol
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I was just going to ask about Bomberman Online, because I noticed that the GameStop here has two copies of it. I didn't realize that Sega had its own servers to play games on. (I realize now that this is a pretty dumb assumption, but) I always thought that gamers simply connected to each other somehow, so there would be no need to have a server. I have never played online either, because I had MSN internet access for a long time, and never could get the DC dialer setup to use it. That really sucks, because I wanted to run out and buy Bomberman Online and give it a try.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Hmm...whats weird is that on Bomberman online, theres an option to put a different server address...mabye theres a way we could use that somehow...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

That would be very nice. I was actually going to ask if there might be some possible way to setup a small BBS or something, so that I could at least play against my friends. If someone figures it out, please let me know.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Outtrigger can change the server address too. even though that game is really slow online, tis still fun.
*The Cadillac of signatures*