Should I have stayed away?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Cmtz
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Should I have stayed away?

Post by Cmtz »

I was on my way home from a basketball game this Friday. As I was driving along the street I saw two people walking towards the North. I was intrested in seeing who it was since they were comming from the direction where most of my students live. I recognized the child, but not the person he was with. I quickly dropped my friend of at his house and returned to the street where I saw them at. I did not see them any more. I turned left on another street since I thought they might have gone that way, but nothing. I made a quick U turn and went back to the original street. As I went foward I saw them. I quickly stopped at a store ahead and waited for them to get there. I was wondering why one of my students was about 5 miles away from his house with a 18 year old person. Actually he was not one of my students, his mom placed him at another school for the second semester of the year. As they came closer I yelled out his name. The little boy smiled and said "hey sir". I said "Nacho how are you doing". The older boy came close to me and shook my hand. I asked him if he was his brother he said "No, I'm his friend". I asked them where they were head of to. He said "Were gonna buy a raspa (ice cone). I asked him if they wanted a ride back home after they bought the raspa. He said, yes. Then he asked me for a cigarette. I said no. It kinda pissed me off he was gonna somke in front of a 9 year old. When they were ready I took them home.

I was worried they might have needed help and I did not feel comfortable having a 9 year old walk the streets where gansters and dogs romes. Should I have left them there and not look back? Would you guys go back and pick them up or should I not pay attention to these things?
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have to say I would have done nothing in that situation, but thats just me. I don't see anything wrong with what you did. I mean you basically just said hi to a kid you know, asked if they wanted a ride, and thats about it. No harm in that.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

You're a teacher?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MetalGearRay wrote:You're a teacher?
Yes he is.
It's thinking...
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

no,its cool,if i was a teacher ,id prob react the same way. you did it for the good of the kids.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

I'd have done the same thing. You don't know if you made an difference, you don't know if anything you'd do would have any impact and you don't know if you bothered the kid. But you do know you did what you felt was right, and really now, that's all you can do. You never want to wake up some morning and realize something happened you could have prevented, so don't doubt yourself.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

You should have given him a cigarette.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Well, there are lots of kids who like to hang out with older dudes, but then again, you never know if they'll run into pervs or thugs. Sometimes these kids lack a strong, positive male influence at home, so they look for it elsewhere. But a boy can turn bad in the 'hood before you know it, so it's wise to look out for them.

As for the cigarette thing, I'm a heavy smoker, and a friend's younger brother (14) once asked me why he couldn't have a cigarette. The kid sort of looks up to me. So I took him to my backyard, and picked up a big cinder block. Then I said: "Now , let's see you do the same" he couldn't even budge it. So I told him:"You see, there are times and ages for everything. When you're old enough to work, and pay for your own smokes, then you can make the choice. I'm not going to tell you not to smoke, since I would a hypocrite, it's your choice, and you'll make it when you're old enough to know what you're getting into. If you think smoking makes you look older, or tough, you are way off. And anyone who tells you that is way off."

So, it's better to explain than to forbid. Which reminds me of that sorry old hag, Nancy Reagan, and her "tough" stance on drugs. :D Sorry, Nancy, but "Just Say No" doesn't cut it. Life is a bit more complicated than that. Specially for teenagers.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I'd have done the same thing. The girl I'm dating...her 18 year old sister was kidnapped last Friday (details here), so I think it was good that you did what you did. Sometimes it's good to be overly cautious.
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

I don't know if I would have done the same thing, but what you did was the right thing.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

You had good intentions, and what you did was right. Just imagine the other possible scenario (the kid was with a stranger), the possibilities are endless. It was definitely a good thing you did...

If the other guy was really 18 (and unless you seen his ID you can't be 100% sure), and I knew that for a fact, I probably would have given them the smoke. But I wouldn't have in your case...
The only limitations we have, are the ones we set for ourselves...
Cmtz
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Cmtz »

Thanks for all your responses. Now I feel like I did the right thing.

Thank you all. :D