My Dreamcast won't detect the controllers anymore...

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Craven Moorehead
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My Dreamcast won't detect the controllers anymore...

Post by Craven Moorehead »

My friend read up on this & says this tends to happen w/ some Dreamcasts.

It says you can send it away & get it fixed for $30...but then again, I don't really want'a wait. I can buy one for $50...but I don't want the same thing to happen again.

Is there a particular version of the DC that doesn't do this? Or does anybody know how to fix it?

Any help would be thooper.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

karter74
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by karter74 »

Sounds like you need to replace a resistor. And if your scared you should be able to find used DC's for a max of $30. I bought mine at a pawn shop with a VMU, controller, cables, and 1 game for $20.
HOLY CRAP!
Craven Moorehead
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

karter74 wrote:Sounds like you need to replace a resistor. And if your scared you should be able to find used DC's for a max of $30. I bought mine at a pawn shop with a VMU, controller, cables, and 1 game for $20.
Yeah, but whut's the point of buyin' a new one if it's liable to happen again?

& thanks for the link, Kron...I'll peep it in a sec.
TheAgedGamer
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by TheAgedGamer »

Yeah my brother's DC had the same problem, however his pooch chewed threw the cords on one controller and then none of the ports worked. I posted this same problem a long time ago and Fackue ( I don't know if he's still active or not) responded and had a really good tutorial on how to fix the resistor that caused this problem. My brother had his DC back up and running in no time. From what I've read this is a common problem on DC's because of this one particular resistor and can be caused by any kind of electrical interference. Static electricity and even some 3rd party controllers have been reported as causing this. Since this happened to my brothers DC I keep my own machine up off the carpet and never unplug a controller when the power is on. I wish I still had a link to Fackue's site because it was well written and had pictures to help you along. Wish I could be of more help.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

yup im still alive :wink:, and i remember talkin to you about this problem also TheAgedGamer.

Craven Moorehead, goto my site, on the left click on tutorials. youll see the tutorial you need. the links in my signature.
Craven Moorehead
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Thanks, man. I'll give it a peep tomorrow.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

no problem, i hope it helps.