What's a good price to pay for a battery for a VMU?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
VillageIdiot
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's a good price to pay for a battery for a VMU?

Post by VillageIdiot »

I went to Radio Shack on the weekend to look for batteries for my VMU's. They're 5 bucks a piece, that seems expensive. I've got one working now with batteries I pulled out of some old motherboards I had lying around. I saw a while ago on eBay someone who was selling a pack of 20 batteries for 8 bucks U.S. Is that a good deal?
"I need a friend, please be my companion
I don't want to be left alone with my sanity"
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Re: What's a good price to pay for a battery for a VMU?

Post by Veggita2099 »

VillageIdiot wrote:I went to Radio Shack on the weekend to look for batteries for my VMU's. They're 5 bucks a piece, that seems expensive. I've got one working now with batteries I pulled out of some old motherboards I had lying around. I saw a while ago on eBay someone who was selling a pack of 20 batteries for 8 bucks U.S. Is that a good deal?
$8 for 20 VMU batteries is really cheap. I think there about $3 or $4 at Wal-mart. I never deal with Radio Shack unless there the only ones that has a item I want. Radio Shack is always overpriced on just about everything.
tomheroes
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Batteries

Post by tomheroes »

I bought a package of 50 batteries off ebay (was something like $20.00) and they work great! Now I have enough for a long time, which is good as I have about 12 VMUs (keep picking them up at used game store for a $1.00 each)
ZrEo0
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ZrEo0 »

if you take out the battery, it keeps the saves right?

and my VMU beeps, whats that mean?
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

VMU beep = low or no battery.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

ZrEo0 wrote:if you take out the battery, it keeps the saves right?
Yes.
It's thinking...
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

Keep the little battery tabs, if not, make some. The batteries will drain even when the VMU is in Sleep mode. I keep the tabs in, and go into the Dreamcast system menu and syncrinize all the VMU clocks with the system, pull the tabs and remove the VMU. That way you don't have to reset the VMU clock by hand after you remove it.

And as for it beeping at you all the time with no battery/tabbed battery, you can always make a Mute switch ...;)
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today