Shuttle Crashes

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
GoldbergWWE
Respected Artist
Respected Artist
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Shuttle Crashes

Post by GoldbergWWE »

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/02/0 ... index.html

Thats terrible...

( I cant believe this comment Im afraid: An administration official said the shuttle's altitude -- over 200,000 feet -- made it "highly unlikely" that the shuttle fell victim to a terrorist act. ) :?: why would that even be the first thought?
*shrugs and shakes head*
"We have no information at this time that indicates that this was a terrorism incident," said Gordon Johndroe, press secretary for the Department of Homeland Security. "Obviously, the investigation is just beginning, but that is what we know now."
I dont get why its always "it may be terrorists.." theyre getting a heck of a lot of credit here....

-G
Telling you what you need to know before you know you need to know it.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

i am watching stuff about it on tv now, on CBS

some guy called saying there was debris in his back yard and then told the news guy he was an idiot, and the news guy was like, we are very sorry for this prank call, blah blah
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Shuttle Crashes

Post by Hawq »

GoldbergWWE wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/02/0 ... index.html

Thats terrible...

( I cant believe this comment Im afraid: An administration official said the shuttle's altitude -- over 200,000 feet -- made it "highly unlikely" that the shuttle fell victim to a terrorist act. ) :?: why would that even be the first thought?
*shrugs and shakes head*
"We have no information at this time that indicates that this was a terrorism incident," said Gordon Johndroe, press secretary for the Department of Homeland Security. "Obviously, the investigation is just beginning, but that is what we know now."
I dont get why its always "it may be terrorists.." theyre getting a heck of a lot of credit here....

-G
Maybe because of the Israeli astronaut on board?, anyway cnn.com have a video which 'apparantly' shows something fall off at launch, cant see it though damn superpass requirement (never have trusted things that say 'made in america' on them :twisted: , before you flame it's sartoriol humor)
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I was just about to post an article anout this....you're right about the terrorism thing. That wouldn't have even occured to me. I highly doubt that terrorists could have done anything to the shuttle. :roll:
Trend Whore
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Trend Whore »

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS ... kshv.shtml

timelapse radar image of the crash.
these are two separate images, retard
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

I blame fat people...
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

/me sits on SYSTEMatic
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

The shuttle Columbia was the oldest space shuttle NASA still had in operation, just taking a guess but id say it fell apart due to its age?, maybe they just gave it one last mission that it wasnt capable of completing.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

Where was it trying to go to?
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

What would be the point in a terrorist trying to destroy a shuttle anyway? The idea is that you try to take out something that, while it may not be large, will cause the maximum possible damage to your target and thier state of mind, and in a fairly easy way. You don't go after things that are well-guarded or too massive or difficult, because it's usually not very effective.

Basically, sabotaging a shuttle would be very difficult to do - you'd have to sneak in undetected, and know it's systems well enough to be able to cause a small, undetectable problem that'll suddenly become a major problem on re-entry, and sneak out again without being detected. And all it might get you is the destruction of one shuttle, and the deaths of the crew which, in terms of wide-scale devestation and panic, is not going to have a major impact. I apologise if that sounds somewhat cold, but the effect would be far too small for the effort involved in making it happen. In other words, is not typical terrorist activity.

Pretty much anything could have caused it though. Loose tiles on the nose, angle of decent was too steep, coming in too fast, a lump of debris from something like a satellite.

What happened to the people on board? Nothing I've seen mentioned anyone apart from the Israeli astronaut, and it wasn't clear what happened to him either. I assume that they didn't make it?
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

The Kron wrote:The shuttle Columbia was the oldest space shuttle NASA still had in operation, just taking a guess but id say it fell apart due to its age?, maybe they just gave it one last mission that it wasnt capable of completing.
I wasn't aware they were going to retire it. I guess that's pretty much irrelevant now... I wonder how long it will be before they start sending shuttles up again? After Challenger, it was years. They can't really afford to do that now. Don't they have people on the station?

They've been developing some new vehicles to replace the shuttle. I guess now's a good time to pick a design and build it.
TreyDay wrote:Where was it trying to go to?
I assume they were going to or coming back from the station? Either that or working on Hubble.

<edit>I was wrong on both counts. They were doing some scientific experiments</edit>
SuperRoy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SuperRoy »

They were coming back from outerspace...it was on its way back in to the atmosphere...Mind you, shit gets really hot.
--SuperRoy
[ Author:: Linux GameDev Articles ]
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

Roofus wrote: They can't really afford to do that now. Don't they have people on the station?
Yeah, they do. NASA is going to be having fits over what to do :|

I think the reason that terrorism sprung to mind was the Israeli astronaut, and also because NASA was worried before the mission that because of the astronaut it would be a terrorist target, even before anything went wrong.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

BlackAura wrote:What would be the point in a terrorist trying to destroy a shuttle anyway? The idea is that you try to take out something that, while it may not be large, will cause the maximum possible damage to your target and thier state of mind, and in a fairly easy way. You don't go after things that are well-guarded or too massive or difficult, because it's usually not very effective.

Basically, sabotaging a shuttle would be very difficult to do - you'd have to sneak in undetected, and know it's systems well enough to be able to cause a small, undetectable problem that'll suddenly become a major problem on re-entry, and sneak out again without being detected. And all it might get you is the destruction of one shuttle, and the deaths of the crew which, in terms of wide-scale devestation and panic, is not going to have a major impact. I apologise if that sounds somewhat cold, but the effect would be far too small for the effort involved in making it happen. In other words, is not typical terrorist activity.

Pretty much anything could have caused it though. Loose tiles on the nose, angle of decent was too steep, coming in too fast, a lump of debris from something like a satellite.

What happened to the people on board? Nothing I've seen mentioned anyone apart from the Israeli astronaut, and it wasn't clear what happened to him either. I assume that they didn't make it?
Terrorists wouldn't and couldn't sabotahe a shuttle. It's just a sign of the times that they'd suggest it at all. Didn't they find cracks in one of the shuttle's systems a while ago. Then they found it in all of them. Maybe they thought they'd repaired it. Maybe they didn't do as good a job as they thought...

They're assuming everyone on board was killed. Just for the hell of it, here's some short bios on the crew:
MSNBC wrote:Rick Husband has just one other space flight under his belt and already he?s flying as commander. That?s a rarity. "I think a lot of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time, for starters," says Husband, 45, an Air Force colonel from Amarillo, Texas. The former test pilot was selected as an astronaut in 1994 on his fourth try. Space flight has been his lifelong passion, along with singing. Husband, a baritone, has barbershop quartet experience and has been singing in church choirs for years.

William McCool says one of the most nerve-racking parts of training was learning to draw blood ? from others. Columbia?s two pilots are exempted from invasive medical tests in orbit, like blood draws. That means he and his commander have to draw blood from their crewmates. McCool felt bad practicing on volunteers. "I didn?t want to inflict pain," he recalls. The Navy commander and former test pilot became an astronaut in 1996. This is the first space flight for McCool, 41, who grew up in Lubbock, Texas.

Michael Anderson loves flying, both in aircraft and spacecraft, but he dislikes being launched. It?s the risk factor. "There?s always that unknown," he says. Anderson, 43, the son of an Air Force man, grew up on military bases. He was flying for the Air Force when NASA chose him in 1994 as one of only a handful of black astronauts. He traveled to Russia?s Mir space station in 1998. He is now a lieutenant colonel and in charge of Columbia?s dozens of science experiments. His home is Spokane, Wash.

Kalpana Chawla wanted to design aircraft when she emigrated to the United States from India in the 1980s. The space program was the furthest thing from her mind. But "one thing led to another," the 41-year-old engineer said, and she was chosen as an astronaut in 1994. On her only other space flight, in 1996, Chawla made mistakes that sent a satellite tumbling out of control, and two spacewalkers had to go out and capture it. She realizes some may see this flight as her chance to redeem herself.

David Brown is a Navy novelty: He?s both a jet pilot and a doctor. He?s also probably the only NASA astronaut to have worked as a circus acrobat. (It was a summer job during college.) He says what he learned about "the teamwork and the safety and the staying focused" has carried over to his space job. He joined the Navy after his medical internship, and his current rank is captain. NASA chose him as an astronaut in 1996. This is the 46-year-old Virginia native's first space flight.

Laurel Clark, a Navy physician who worked undersea, likens the numerous launch delays to a marathon in which the finish line keeps moving out five miles. "You?ve got to slow back down and maintain a pace," she says. The 41-year-old Clark was a diving medical officer aboard submarines and then a naval flight surgeon. She became an astronaut in 1996. Clark will help with Columbia?s science experiments, which should have flown almost two years ago. Her hometown is Racine, Wis.

Ilan Ramon, a colonel in Israel?s air force, is the first Israeli to be launched into space. "It?s a very symbolic mission," he says. His mother and grandmother survived the Auschwitz death camp, and his father was a Zionist who fought for Israel?s statehood. The astronaut also fought for his country, in the Yom Kippur War in 1973 and the Lebanon War in 1982. Ramon, 48, was selected as an astronaut in 1997 and moved to Houston in 1998 to train for a shuttle flight. He calls Tel Aviv home.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

BlackAura wrote:What would be the point in a terrorist trying to destroy a shuttle anyway? The idea is that you try to take out something that, while it may not be large, will cause the maximum possible damage to your target and thier state of mind, and in a fairly easy way. You don't go after things that are well-guarded or too massive or difficult, because it's usually not very effective.

Some "terrorist expert" on the radio just said almost the same exact thing.
BornStupid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BornStupid »

There's ALWAYS something wrong when a shuttle get's shot into space, you just gotta pray those things won't make much of an impact.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

The aliens did it
Image :twisted:
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Damn Aliens!
It's thinking...
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

I called my friend and told him to put it on MSNBC and when he did, the headline on the screen was "NASA warnd debris may be hazardous" He read that out loud and said "Why? What happened?" So I said "Aliens crashed" and he says "Really?" :lol:
karter74
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by karter74 »

To those of you who may say the shuttle is too old, you must remember, that thing has been rebuilt atleast once, from the ground up with new parts. The basis of the shuttle is old, but almost everything in it would be new. On the lighter side, I love how they warn people not to touch it, it is highly dangerous, etc. Can you actually believe that if you saw a piece of it, would you just turn around, not look at it, but just call the police? The police isn't going to have any special gloves or anything to handle it.....They run this on the bottom of the screen here, because I live quite close to where it went down.