What's Space Channel 5 like?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
JDCreationz
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's Space Channel 5 like?

Post by JDCreationz »

I'm thinking about getting this game and would like
to know what it's like.

As far as I know it is a dancing game. Is it like
Playstation's Bust-A-Groove or Dance Dance Revolution?

Thanks in advance!
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Space Channel 5 is a rhythm game. The main character, Ulala, dances and shoots aliens on the screen, but the quality/marksmanship is based upon your rhythm at copying exactly what you are told to do by those aliens. Ulala is a reporter, and she needs to maintain her audience or else she will be taken off the air (game over). If you can save the hostages from the aliens at following the rhythm and doing what the aliens tell you to do (pressing directional buttons or shooting) in that rhythm, then you save hostages and you gain a greater percentage of viewers. The game isn't long, but it has more attitude or style than perhaps any game that I have played. The music is also effected by your performance. If you suck, then the music played will be played suckier; but if let's say you can rescue a musician, then that musician will play a solo for your theme music. Also, behind Ulala are the people you rescued forming a dancing group similar to how the Austin Powers movies all start with Austin dancing and the dancers behind him. The music is absolutely phenomenal (I absolutely love Mexican Flyer), and it is representative of Sega's combination of originality and quality. Some people hate the game, but that is because they do not have rhythm. Granted, it took me some time to get the rhythm, but it is definitely a fun game as I was even able to get my sister to play the game. I got the sequel, but I have yet to bust it out as I am waiting for the right time to dish out the attitude (and beat some more US games as well before I jump into my quality imports). The game is selling for very little brand new, and it is definitely a game that I would recommend. It is a fine example of Dreamcast showmanship as Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft do not have anything that can compare (althought SC5's sequel did come out in Japan on the PS2 and the original is either comming or came out there as well for the PS2).
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Is a fancy Simon says
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Plays more like Parappa or Um Jammer Lammy than DDR and clones. It's a rhythm-matching game with a (very silly) story, and sort of a future-retro theme - think campy 60's spy movie meets The Fifth Element.

Not exactly high on replay value, but it's worth the ride and is usualyl available quite cheap. And a rarity for Sega games: Good voice work in the US version.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

The music is a bit bizarre. I played it to the end, the last level was cool but the rest of the game was too strange for my tastes.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

politoe wrote:Is a fancy Simon says
Exactly. I has about as much gameplay as those sega cd interactive movie games (such as Dragons lair, Timegal, etc).
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Veggita2099 wrote: Exactly. I has about as much gameplay as those sega cd interactive movie games (such as Dragons lair, Timegal, etc).
First off Dragon's Lair, Timegal etc, are true innovasions to videogames and are classics. Nothing like most of the crappy FMV games that Sega CD had.

Secondly, Space Channel 5 is nothing like them. If anything it is a "fancy simon says" like politoe said. You, by doing a series of button presses, do what Ulala does on the screen to zap aliens.

It's really difficult to discribe it without making it seem like a dumb game, when in fact it is quite fun & addictive.
Last edited by Chaniyth on Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mmboy »

This game owns. <----period!
sig down :( gehy boomspeed... any1 wanna host it? where could i host it?
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

mmboy wrote:This game owns. <----period!
Yea thas why there is a dozen of them in the for sale bin at Blockbuster, and a bunch at the local pawn shops.

If you can get it for $5 give it a try I guess. The game is very unforgiveing on the controls. You have to use the crosspad on the DC, and even the Sega brand Dreamcast pads isn't that good.

Personally I thought it was stupid.
JDCreationz
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by JDCreationz »

THanks for the comments guys!

I think I'll end up getting it...

GOD I miss my Bust-A-Groove though :cry:
Aurora
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Aurora »

Veggita2099 wrote:
Yea thas why there is a dozen of them in the for sale bin at Blockbuster, and a bunch at the local pawn shops.

Cause everyone knows that a game has to sell good to be considered good.....riiiight. :roll:
Back it up.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Aurora wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:

Cause everyone knows that a game has to sell good to be considered good.....riiiight. :roll:
Heh yea just like all those old sports games they have a dozen of huh.
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mmboy »

Veggita2099 wrote:
Aurora wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:

Heh yea just like all those old sports games they have a dozen of huh.
Some people just don't have class, SC5 is one of the most superb games in its genre!
sig down :( gehy boomspeed... any1 wanna host it? where could i host it?
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

Space Channel 5 part 2is much better.
Captain Tokyo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Captain Tokyo »

First off Dragon's Lair, Timegal etc, are true innovasions to videogames and are classics
TimeGal... Classic??? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
TG was a clone, much like cobra command / road avenger. Worse still it was complete rubbish. Getting that game was one of my biggest videogame regrets.
That is total crap. The sequal is virtually identical to the first game, so how the hell is it better than the original?

SC5 owns, and I can't wait for the next installment (part 3) on PS2.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

Captain Tokyo wrote:
First off Dragon's Lair, Timegal etc, are true innovasions to videogames and are classics
TimeGal... Classic??? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
TG was a clone, much like cobra command / road avenger. Worse still it was complete rubbish. Getting that game was one of my biggest videogame regrets.
That is total crap. The sequal is virtually identical to the first game, so how the hell is it better than the original?

SC5 owns, and I can't wait for the next installment (part 3) on PS2.
The music and stages look much cooler in the second game.
Captain Tokyo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Captain Tokyo »

True, but the first was original, so I think that makes it better. Also part two didn't have Apollo Smile^^ Speaking of Apollo, I don't think she'll ever be in another SC5 game, she dissapeared from the anime/video game scene shortly after SC5. She's back now but I think she' concentrating more on singing/live shows than voice acting. :(

Don't get me wrong I love the sequel too. :D It was such a shame it never got a release in the US/UK.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Best in its genre.. Well I guess thats true, it beats Parappa the rapper I suppose.

The only think that sounded promiseing about PArt 2 was it automatically tailored itself to your skill level (so I heard anyways). I wouldn't pay anything for it still.

I expect to see part 3 marked down to 20 bucks within 6 months of release here in the states. Unless it has something making it very different then the original at least.

And none of those interactive movies was amazeing. You basically started at the top of the screen waiting to see which button you pushed next. If you hit the right button the video continued to play, if you hit the wrong it loaded the YOUR DEAD screen. They was pretty since they had good graphics for there times, but there gameplay was not even on par with Atari 2600 games. The only games made that way I could stand was Mad Dog Mcgee and Who shot Johny Rock. They was more House of the Dead style gameplay though.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Captain Tokyo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Captain Tokyo »

I expect to see part 3 marked down to 20 bucks within 6 months of release here in the states.
It's not going to get a USA release. Of course this could change depending on sales in Japan, but it's extremely unlikely.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

Captain Tokyo wrote:
I expect to see part 3 marked down to 20 bucks within 6 months of release here in the states.
It's not going to get a USA release. Of course this could change depending on sales in Japan, but it's extremely unlikely.
USA doesnt really desiver it.