compiling for dreamcast.

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
bizzle
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

compiling for dreamcast.

Post by bizzle »

ok. i am in need of a little help. i got a few things i would like to comile for the dreamcast. first of all, i need to know how to set up a compiler in windows xp for dreamcast. second i need to know where i can find some documents to set the controls for teh dreamcast. like what buttons on the controller/keyboard do what. any help will be appriciated. and if someone could post some info on KOS and what it is exactly, it would be nice. thanks in advance.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

For setting up your development environment in Windows XP, do a Google search for "Cygwin Windows XP". That's all the help I can give there, as I do my work on a Linux box.
The controls are pretty simple but it is really a specific subset of your next question, so I'll hold on this.
KOS is an OS/lib/HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for the Dreamcast. It provides you with everything an OS usually does (on a programming level) and then some more. Threading, memory allocation, file system, images, sound, controls, 3D and 2D graphics are all handled through KOS. It's the main tool of like 90% of the development community.
The controller/keyboard code is a part of KOS. Just initialize a controller and poll the state when you need to check it.
The exact functions escape me right now (namely because I have a controller class that handles it all for me, plus a little more.) But the examples are riddled with controller usage, so it's not too hard to find something that will get you started.
No signature.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

is there a controller/keyboard control library included with KOS?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

i mean i am completly new to the dc programming scene, so this is a dumb question, but does the KOS os run on the dc itself? or through cygwin?

anyone will experience setting up this stuff in windows xp, please post anything you know. thanks in advance.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

just wondering but, will the partial installation of cygwin be enough? or do i need the full thing?
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

The controller code is a part of the core KOS lib. When you inlcude KOS, you include this.
KOS is for the DC. It doesn't run as a you think an OS does. (What you actually run in an OS is called a shell, it provides a user interface to the OS. For example Windows' shell is explorer, this can be changed. There is a KOS shell (KOSH), but there is no real use for it.)

Stuff KOS includes (imparital list, as it is off the top of my head):

Controller Support
Keyboard Support
VMU Support
CD-ROM support
CDDA support
A version of OpenGL known as KGL
png, jpeg, and pcx image file support
Ogg/Vorbis support
MP3 support (GPL lib)
PVR support
WAV file support
S3M support

I can't think of anything else that is real major at this point. And some of this isn't included in the main library, but can be added as you wish.
No signature.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

anyone know if the partial installation of cygwin will be enough to run and gcc? and set up a development enviorment?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Personally, even a partial installation of cygwin is huge. If you are going to go with cygwin, make sure you have GCC, bash, fileutils, diffutils, cvs, and any other required stuff installed. (it will select the required stuff as needed).

Personally, I'd go with MinGW and MSYS for your environment (on windows, instead of Cygwin). Its a bit more difficult to get going, but it is about quarter to half the size (on your hard drive which is great for me, I only have 10GB, and Cygwin took up 2GB, MinGW 500MB). I can give you easy to follow instructions for either of the two environments, but I'm more experienced with MinGW.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

BlueCrab wrote:Personally, even a partial installation of cygwin is huge. If you are going to go with cygwin, make sure you have GCC, bash, fileutils, diffutils, cvs, and any other required stuff installed. (it will select the required stuff as needed).

Personally, I'd go with MinGW and MSYS for your environment (on windows, instead of Cygwin). Its a bit more difficult to get going, but it is about quarter to half the size (on your hard drive which is great for me, I only have 10GB, and Cygwin took up 2GB, MinGW 500MB). I can give you easy to follow instructions for either of the two environments, but I'm more experienced with MinGW.
ok, well i am on aim, e1x5x is my screen name, can you go online now?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

ok, i got cygwin all installed, does any one know of any guides that can give me some help setting this stuff up? i havent really seen any yet.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

I posted a faq once for some one what you should do is use the search on this forum and keywords like cygwin or kos and toolchain

you find some good info i use this forum like that all the time

or view all the posts of the devver's and most times theres helpfull posts

i did not use the faqs or guild that were about when i tryed they left me with one tool chain that could not do c++ and the other was not really upto date ether

use the prebuilt tool chains if you get stuck there was one whole set posted at CV teenie guild or some think i dont go there much but its tested and works look in the dev forum over there as well
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

well i am just going to compile C, no c++, for now thegatesofbill is showing me this stuff, if i need more help, i'll ask
thanks
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Sorry about not replying before, but I kinda got on an online game right after posting here, so I never saw your request that I get on AIM.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

what does the sh4 for an arm tool kit include at http://dev.dcemulation.org/started-step1c.htm
?
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Instructions.....

Post by q_006 »

OK!
I have dial - up and Dev-C++(which has MinGW).
I have a Dreamcast and plenty of CDRs.

Now what do I do?

Is there some site that can tell how I can develop on the DC with what I have?

Do I need more?

Please help!!!

(i know this question has been asked a billion times.... and i searched the forums.... but it seems like one person it can be done with Dev-C, another says it can't, then another says you need MinGW/MSYS (no Dev-C), then someone else says download the monstrous Cygwin..... i'm confused :?: )
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

i am checking this out now,

http://www.consolevision.com/forums/YaB ... 1033424733

seems helpful
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

If you are going to use MinGW at all (for DC Dev), you need MSYS.
If you want more info, let me know.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Yes Please

Post by q_006 »

I would like (much :D ) more info.
Thanks a bunch!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I'm reworking a script that I wrote a while back, I'll let you know when it is ready.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

i have Dev-C ++ 4.0 and MSYS....

Post by q_006 »

I just downloaded MSYS and you're right it is much smaller.
i was trying to run the install and it asked where the MingW compiler was. since i didn't know exactly i stopped midway.

so my question is there a tutorial/site that you (BlueCrab) or anyone else can give/show me that can allow me to install the two correctly and begin programming?

i would appreciate this a lot thanks :D

p.s. where it says: tell where MingW compiler is located in the form: c:/foo/bar; since DevC++ has the MW compiler already install with it do I just put c:/devc ? or something else?