DreamSnes Vs PSX

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quest4glory
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DreamSnes Vs PSX

Post by Quest4glory »

Do you think that the progress has been VERY slow compared to other Emulators? I for one do when you look at something like The DC playstation emulator that is already running at a Peak ( hence i said PEAK) 30 FPS, and this is without taking advantage of the PVR. ( the PVR Plugin is still in the works i think) The average Playstation game almost always runs at 30 so basically it can almost get full speed on a game! I mean i don't program on the dc and is there someting about the SNES compard to the PSX that makes it harder to emulate? I mean it has a 5mhz chip ( not sure about that) I just don't understand how the PSX can be where it is at compared to the SNES emulator and where it is at. I no this may sound like garble but i think i got my question across. :?: :o :D
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Are you on crack? No, really, are you?
It's thinking...
Swiss_Cheeseman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Swiss_Cheeseman »

the snes processor is quite a lot faster than that...

The PSX is very similar to the Dreamcast in many ways. The SNES is not. More of the PSX can be interpreted, unlike the SNES which has to be completely emulated.

Therefore, the PSX is *kind of* faster, because it has more in common with the Dreamcast.
Sifn't compact sigs
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

That peak framerate is not going to happen on a real game - most games get about 10FPS. DreamSNES peaks at 60FPS (full speed, on a tech demo) and runs a lot of games at 80%+ of full speed. The PSX emulator runs at about 15% full speed.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

you......... haven't actually tried that PSXDC emulator yet have you?

IF you have problems with DreamSNESs speed, set the sound to mute in the options and Hey Presto!
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

is there someting about the SNES compard to the PSX that makes it harder to emulate? I mean it has a 5mhz chip ( not sure about that)
the snes processor is quite a lot faster than that...
It's more like 3mhz, and it's basically a slightly updated / overclocked version of the CPU in the NES, which is fairly underpowered as well.
Swiss_Cheeseman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Heh, your right, funny that. Its about 3.4mhz
Sifn't compact sigs
Swiss_Cheeseman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

I can play Bleem on my p166 at pretty much full speed. Its perfectly playable along with my voodoo 2 and 48mb ram.

The snes emulator cant handle many games without a whole lot of slowdown, with both snes9x and zsnes, dos and windows versions.
Sifn't compact sigs
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Swiss_Cheeseman wrote:I can play Bleem on my p166 at pretty much full speed. Its perfectly playable along with my voodoo 2 and 48mb ram.

The snes emulator cant handle many games without a whole lot of slowdown, with both snes9x and zsnes, dos and windows versions.
I had a laptop that was a 233mmx with 128 megs of ram and it couldn't run Zsnes at full speed. It came pretty close on some games though. This was back in 1999, so it was a older version of Zsnes then what is out now.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

I can run the newest version of Zsnes Dos on 486 with Windows 95 installed.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

"IF you have problems with DreamSNESs speed, set the sound to mute in the options and Hey Presto!"

People say this all the time, and I still thing it's a terrible solution. I don't know how people can stand doing that... It stinks playing almost any video game without sound.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

clessoulis wrote:I can run the newest version of Zsnes Dos on 486 with Windows 95 installed.

BUT what has that got to do with the dreamcast ? :evil:
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

Depending on how well it runs, it's fair to state that it's possible to get it running at least that well on DC... however just saying it runs, without giving any indication of performance, allows one to (wrongly) make such an interpretation, so perhaps some more information is in order to be given...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I know that ZSnes runs at full speed on a 233MHz AMD K6 for most games (those that don't need special chips) and that was the newest version way back in 2000.

Anyway, it's silly to compare DreamSNES and PSXDC - they're just too different. On a SNES, you have to emulate absolutely everything, and a SNES is nothing like a Dreamcast. The PSX has a lot of hardware that's closer to the DC's hardware, so a full speed PSX emulator is probably possible too.

For a SNES, bear in mind that the emulator must be very accurate to run the majority of games, and accuracy comes at the cost of speed. You have to run the CPU emulator for a single scanline, then stop (which takes time), emulate another CPU (which takes time to start and stop as well), then emulate the sound hardware and video hardware, and then start the next line. And DreamSNES is still mostly written in C++ (well, C using a C++ compiler, the same as Snes9X) and has a lot of room for speed ups.

For a PSX, remember that it doesn't need to be that accurate to run most games. Unlike a SNES, most things take variable time to happen, so even on a real PSX the system state is not as predictable as it is on a SNES. So it can be less accurate, which means that it can be much faster than SNES emulation, even though the system is more powerful. Add to that the fact that PSXDC uses a dynamic recompiler, which is faster that the interpretative emulator used in DreamSNES. And no, DreamSNES can't use a dynamic recompiler because it would make it too inaccurate to run anything, and the tiny speed gain for older 8/16-bit CPUs in not worth it. And, when a PVR plugin gets written, you can just use the PVR to do all the video work, so the Dreamcast CPU doesn't need to do any of it.