Help on dreamcast game booting

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Kingofblades
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help on dreamcast game booting

Post by Kingofblades »

I am having a large problem getting my dc games to boot up, when I put the cd in the drive it goes to the regular menu of play game, play music, options, etc.. So I click on play game, the screen turns black and glitchs and sounds like its trying to load the cd, but then the dreamcast restarts after about 3-4 seconds to the dreamcast logo swirling out and then goes back to set time/game menu, in which I click play again and the exact same thing happens. I have read many guides on how to burn the games and have burned them in every imagineable way that I could think of and that I saw on the net,and Im pretty sure I'm doing it right, but the problem is I figure my dc is unable to read the games because it was made before october 2000, *(mine was made in june 1999, in which it also says on the bottom of the console). I noticed while reading through the dreamcast faq on another webpage the following sentences:

"Was your Dc brought before October 2000? If so the Dreamcast may not be compatible with the way the Cd was burnt. Not all is lost, as explained in the question above, there is a way around this. All new DCvision images have now been updated and should now work on your console."

What exactly does this mean, and how can I get my games to actually load up, I cant even get bootdisks to work and I have been looking for days on end on a way to fix this, but it seems I can find no such way.. I figured I would post here since this seems to be the top place for game burning and emulation. Would anyone please help me out and explain to me how I can get burned games to work on my older dreamcast? Thanks very very much if anyone can help!
Sirmorpheous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sirmorpheous »

lmfao....this topic might be closed man...not that i want it to or anything
51R/\/\0RP|-|30|_|5

Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I will just assume your talking about emulators that you burned and not backups or warez.

Sounds like bad burns either way.

HAve you ever tried to run a regular game in it? And to the best of my knowledge its the older dreamcasts that run cd-r's better.

They close topics retaining to backups, Segagen, and other warez for any system.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Kingofblades did you want help booting an emu with roms or commercial games or both?
Kingofblades
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kingofblades »

When I say I wanted to run my burned games I ment emulator, Im trying to run dreamsnes with chrono trigger and final fantasy 3 (awesome rpgs, never got to finish them because my snes broke). I cant for the life of me figure out whats wrong, Im following the burning tutorils given on this site word for word but nothing I do works, I even went as far as to try and burn the utopia boot disk and that doesnt work either! My dc plays the games I have fine (grandia 2, evolution and skies of arcadia) and it also plays mp3 disks I created using nero (linkin park ep cd for one). But cdr emulator/rom backups are not working! Please if anyone knows how to fix this I really would be thankful if you could share how!
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

The first thing to do is have a look here:
http://www.dcemulation.org/article-supported.htm

Then see what the date/info on the bottom of your Dreamcast is.

When you are burning the emu's what burning programs are you using?

Familiarise yourself with this program:
http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/dcfactory/
Kingofblades
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kingofblades »

Date is: June 1999

I have attempted to burn with: Discjuggler, Nero, and Clonecd (bootdisk only) and none have worked.

I tried that using that program and my dc still wouldnt load the cdr, same old go to black screen then return to splash screen with twirling swirl icon then menu : /
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

A June 99 DC will be able to play CDR's with no problems...so that means it could be down to the setup on your pc, Can you give us an idea of what operating system you are using and what your cd-writer is.

Also when you tried burning a .cdi file with discjuggler did you change any of the settings?
Great One
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Great One »

I tried 4-5 times on my causins burner, messed with the settings and still didnt work. Im just glad my burner works for emulators and homebrew. wierd thing is that we both have LG burners but his can burn up to 12x but mine only burns to 8x. but im still happy cause hes not even able to burn at 12x!!hihihi and i can burn at 8x but its not really good for dreamcast stuff cause the cd works for a while than stops working right.
Kingofblades
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kingofblades »

Cdrw drive: Came with compaq computer unaware of its brand but tends to work with nero. dj, fireburner, and clonecd. Its described as: 4x4x24 ide cdrw. I have really no idea what brand it is, I guess its just a default burner that comes with some premade computers compaq makes!