quake 2

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Cam0
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

quake 2

Post by Cam0 »

does anyone know how to burn this. I wasted 2 CD-R's tring to burn the binarys with pak0.pak with nero and im looking forward to using a boot disc with this
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

I think at the moment this is just a example of what they have accomplished. By no means is it very playable. (You need a mouse, or otherwise the game would crash)

I'd suggest waiting a few more weeks or so, untill a more stable version is released

Read this topic for a bit more information.

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14957

Spiderman! Spiderman! Friendy Neighbourhood Spiderman!
Spins a web... any size..... catches thiefs, just like flies!
WATCH OUT... here comes the Spiderman!
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

The plainfiles release I downloaded had a ready-scrambled 1st_read. I assume you will need to descramble this for use with a boot disc.
I had a few minutes playing the first level of Q2 but I'm hoping for a graphics accelerated version before I play much more of it.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

TOPIC MOVED to... uh.... Quake Dev forum I guess; its sure not an app
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Nyar. Quakedev is fine for Quake2 to me. Though I personally have no interest in it. low rez software mode only with no sound... not my idea of Quake fun. Sure QuakeDC isnt as good as the PC version... but it at least is graphics accelerated and has sound.

I know the reason Quake2 is without sound is completely do to memory issues. There is simply NOT ENOUGH RAM! I'm kinda surprised its even running without sound... but at least that much can be done.

After a version that doesnt require the mouse is released then I'll burn it myself. Just so I can get some experiance in so I can help others with it.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Wetflame
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Ummm

Post by Wetflame »

Surprised? Quake 2 was ported to Playsation and it runs and a decent speed with sound and every thing, so the dreamcast which is at least 8X superior should be able to handle it eve nin the hands of amateurs. The reason it has no sound right now is presumably because it's a an early version and has not yet been optimized.
ANd anwyway, I got Quakke 2 to run playable YEARS ago on a 133 with 16 megs or ram - that's with windows. There's no reason why there shouldn't be a full proper version of Quake 2 with bots and mods at some stage available. Just give it time, maybe even just a month and there could be some great improvements.
I'm not surprised at all the Dreamcast is a very capable machine even if it is getting old certainly every bit as good as PS2.
Not to mention it has Quake 3 which runs debately suprerior to a decent PC running it. Obviously "official" ports are always going to be better because they have the official dev kits, but given time ansd effort I see no reason why it shouldn't work out it in the end.

So, who's for doing a home made QUake 3?
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: Ummm

Post by 999 »

Wetflame wrote:Surprised? Quake 2 was ported to Playsation and it runs and a decent speed with sound and every thing, so the dreamcast which is at least 8X superior should be able to handle it eve nin the hands of amateurs. The reason it has no sound right now is presumably because it's a an early version and has not yet been optimized.
ANd anwyway, I got Quakke 2 to run playable YEARS ago on a 133 with 16 megs or ram - that's with windows. There's no reason why there shouldn't be a full proper version of Quake 2 with bots and mods at some stage available. Just give it time, maybe even just a month and there could be some great improvements.
I'm not surprised at all the Dreamcast is a very capable machine even if it is getting old certainly every bit as good as PS2.
Not to mention it has Quake 3 which runs debately suprerior to a decent PC running it. Obviously "official" ports are always going to be better because they have the official dev kits, but given time ansd effort I see no reason why it shouldn't work out it in the end.

1- The Quake2 for PSX isn't an emulated port, it's a scaled down "conversion" for the PSX. It's hampered with a horrible framerate, and the video quality is subpar to the default software only mode for PC.

2- Quake3 was released for DC already, it runs quite nicely, can handle some console commands, and will connect to a PC running the DC MapPaks to challenge your buddies. It has full mouse/keyboard support as well, making it one helluva conversion. Aside from lacking mods, there's really no need for a PC<>DC port of Q3 otherwise.

-

Here's a question I have yet to see asked, How's Bero's Quake1 run? The mouse/keyboard support is what I'm most interested in.

Yea, I bought a mouse the day I got my DC, now I'm kinda glad I did, best 4 bux spent in a while :)
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Answering to Cam0, you need to unscramble the 1st_read.bin before burning it in a non-selfboot disc.

That's what I did... then I got a black screen because I don't have a DC mouse...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Surprised? Quake 2 was ported to Playsation and it runs and a decent speed with sound and every thing, so the dreamcast which is at least 8X superior should be able to handle it eve nin the hands of amateurs. The reason it has no sound right now is presumably because it's a an early version and has not yet been optimized.
The playstation port was kinda nice... but if you look close there were changes to the models and maps. Some of the sounds arent as clear eather... so its likely that all the sounds were recued in quality and/or compressed. All the textures and skins were likely shrunk as well. Overall... it did not look nearly as good as Quake2 on a low end pc.

All those changes could be made to DCQuake2... but it would have to be done by each individual user since we wouldnt legally be able to distribute the shrunk down paks.

Sure... highly optimized mods might run well with sound. But no complex mods or the original game (as is) would.
ANd anwyway, I got Quakke 2 to run playable YEARS ago on a 133 with 16 megs or ram - that's with windows. There's no reason why there shouldn't be a full proper version of Quake 2 with bots and mods at some stage available. Just give it time, maybe even just a month and there could be some great improvements
minimum pc requirements

* Pentium 90 MHz processor (133 MHz recommended)
* Memory:
Win 95: - 16 MB RAM Required (24 MB recommended)
Win NT 4.0 - 24 MB RAM Required

And for playing off of a cd (like we are)

* Quad-Speed CD-ROM drive (600k/sec. sustained transfer rate)
* Hard disk drive with at least 25 MB of uncompressed space available

Dreamcast has a good enough processor, it has the ram, and it has the CD-ROM. What the dreamcast doesnt have is the 25MB of free HD space to use as a swap file. That 25MB swap file acts as ram for the game. Its not ram... but it is many many times faster than a cdrom.
Cant port Quake3 without the engine source. Besides as its stated... Quake3 for Dreamcast is already out and is well beyond the ability of any homebrew coders so far. You dont get mods to use mods or new maps with Q3... but it would be much more work to port quake3 mods to dreamcast then Quake1 mods.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!