nesterDC problem

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
pitchit22
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

nesterDC problem

Post by pitchit22 »

i'm having trouble burning NesterDC with both Discjuggler and NEro - i have the newest versions of both , and i've followed EXACT directions from the tutorials , but i cant get one working. It could be my burner , i've gotten an error for NERO - "can't finsih disc at once, logical unit error" and discjuggler - "illegal mode for this track or invalid packet size" - i want to get this workin - so if anyone could try to help i'd appreciate it.
ecd666
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ecd666 »

im having the smae exact message displayed to me.
it wont do crap....
ifanyone can figure this out please tell me...also how do i burn a roms cd so it works with gleam?
thanks
joe
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Do you know if your CD-writer supports DAO? Thats all I can think of...

Personally, I think your best bet would be to download the plain files and use one of the many, many self boot apps to make yourself a selfbooting CD with Nester and all of your ROMs on the same Disc.

Seriously, its *much* less hassle.... and nowadays making a selfboot disc is just as easy as downloading and burning a NERO / DJ image
pitchit22
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pitchit22 »

yea i wish i knew how to do that - but i dont know how to do it with a Dos prompt, and i've tried following some tutorial before and i got no where- so if you can give me some directions - i'd appreciate it a lot - THanks
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Sure thing. I can personally recommend either Disco Stus Self boot kit, or Burner0's - both of which I've used to make self booting progs.
Burner0s is available at Consolevision and if you do a member search for discostu55555 and PM him I'm fairly sure he'll be more than happy to send you a copy of his.

Both of them are *really* easy to use - you just put everything you want into a subdirectory of their program and it will do all the DOS stuff for you, leaving you with either a DJ or NERO image (in Disco's case) or actually burn the CD *for you* in burner0's case.
pitchit22
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pitchit22 »

thanks a lot for the info - but that didnt work either - i have coasters up the WAZZU - the one thing that went different than the instructions was when i hit 'Insert Boot File' - it says "IP.BIN missing or image is already patched" - so maybe you know what this means because i dont - let me know THANKS
pitchit22
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pitchit22 »

well- i made a few more coasters for my coffee table - i had a question about the "Make Directories" step - what do i do?? -i'v gone through and made a burned cd and when i put the disc in my dreamcast - it loads up as like a music cd- with 2 tracks and it doesnt do anything - and when i go to the main menu and try to load it as a game - The screen turns black then the - startup white Dreamcast sreen comes up then it goes back to the music cd screen - i wish i could make this work - help me if you CAN
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

uh, are you using the Burner0 kit?
As far as I can remember (its been awhile since I used it) if you select the Nester .ini it *should do all the work for you...

If you're *REALLY* still having probs, try using one of the other selfboot kits - theres plenty around; in fact the (currently MIA) mod of this forum lilmuckers has a kit I haven't used which is supposedly the best around - try downloading that? I can't remember the URL but its probably in his sig, look for one of his posts.

I personally use Discostus nowadays - you put everything you want self booting into the subfolder named 'new' and then follow the step by step instructions.

The only reason the DC would be 'rebooting' like that AFAIK is a 'bad' IP.bin - I'm not sure whether your problem is its scrambled / not scrambled or whatever; I'm not *that* knowledgable about getting stuff self booting, so I'm afraid I can't help you with anything more than 'use a self boot kit'. Its what I did, and I have a self booting NEster + ROMs CD, but can't remember which prog I used to do it; it was definitely either Disco or Burner0s though.
pitchit22
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pitchit22 »

i have NO CLUE where the IP.BIN and 1st_read.BIN files are - they are not anywhere in the self-boot buddy directory - or even anywhere on my hard drive , how and where do i get these fies . I think that is my only problem. When moving the files in self-boot buddy - i dont have any of them - let me know where and how i can get them - THANKS
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Sure thing. The ip.bin and 1st_read.bin will be in the nester *plain files* download. You need to download that - don't bother with the DJ or NERO downloads, make sure you get the plain files release.

Then you simply unzip them into the folders SBB makes for you and it *should* all be fine and dandy.

That any help? Make sure you put the files into the right folders (they should be already set up in the correct folders in the plain files release .ZIP) - my copy of Nester is called nesterdc-v3_bin.zip, so if you find a file with the same name to download you know you got the right one
pitchit22
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pitchit22 »

THANKS a lot FOR THE HELP. I finally got it workin. I was wondering about the newest version of NESTER though , if its good or not. And i also wondered about the frame skip option , what should i keep it at? When i first played, the game was kind of slow - WELL _ THANKS A TON man - let me know -
ecd666
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ecd666 »

[quote=pitchit22]
THANKS a lot FOR THE HELP. I finally got it workin. I was wondering about the newest version of NESTER though , if its good or not. And i also wondered about the frame skip option , what should i keep it at? When i first played, the game was kind of slow - WELL _ THANKS A TON man - let me know -
[/quote]
hey you think you could be a pal and mail me a cd of that?
with the roms already on it.
my burner just died on me and i cant burn anything right now...
also for anyone that would know.
if he mails me this cd,and i get my burner working again,if i want to add a rom to the cd...do i just pop that cd in my burner,and drag the rom from my pc into the roms folder?
woudl that work?
because ive been wanting to play earthbound zero on something other than my pc forever now.
thanks
joe
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

ok; first off, PM the guy, don't use the message boards: they're here to ask for burning help not beg / borrow / stealing from other members.

second: you *wish* you could add ROMs that easy. The only way to put ROMs on a Disk is to use one of the self boot methods I outlined above.

Third: I never bothered with any of the frameskip options, every game I wanted to play ran just fine on my copy of Nester - I've been told the 'newest' version fixes a lot of probs though; in which case you can use whatever self-boot prog you feel happy with with the newest version, it should all be good... just remember to get the latest plain files release, and I'm fairly certain you can use the same .ini file you used before (as the only thing thats changed between releases AFAIK is the executable - everything else will be the same so it should be fine...)
pitchit22
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pitchit22 »

ok - the newest plain files version of nesterdc only gives one file (1st_Read.BIN) - do i just replace version 3's with this one - now what about the title screen? should it still be version 3's?
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

I'll be honest with you - I dunno.

The one I told you about is the only one I've used - check the README and see if it mentions anything about using previous versions files; if it doesn't I *guess* all it is is the .bin file, in which case lose everything else...

You might have to experiment a bit, unless someone else here has any bright ideas?
Spaz-o-matic
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Spaz-o-matic »

[quote=pitchit22]
ok - the newest plain files version of nesterdc only gives one file (1st_Read.BIN) - do i just replace version 3's with this one - now what about the title screen? should it still be version 3's?
[/quote]

It just gives ONE FILE? No readme's? If so, I'd just replace the version 3 one like you said, but I'm not entirely sure. Go ahead and try it.
CG1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by CG1 »

yup, spaz is right, u just replace it an burn it like u normaly would
SNUGGLE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

a link to the plain files?

Post by SNUGGLE »

does anyone have a working link to the nesterdc plain files? Now that you helped me out with the dreamsnes (thanks!), I would like to play my nes games that I own on my dc. THANK YA! :D
Spaz-o-matic
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Spaz-o-matic »

Click here for the NesterDC plain files. Burn with DSSBS like you did DreamSNES. Let us know your results.
SNUGGLE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

YAY!

Post by SNUGGLE »

IT worked perfectly. There is one problem with the version 4 plain files- IT ONLY CONTAINS 1 FILE. SO download the plain files for the old one and replace the old file with the new one. ALSO THE ROMS FILE MUST BE RENAMED GAMES. Other than that, it worked out great =] Thanks again. :D