Trouble Connecting to PSO Ver. 2 Upon Switching Routers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

altavares57
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trouble Connecting to PSO Ver. 2 Upon Switching Routers

Post by altavares57 »

Hello,

I am hoping to potentially receive some assistance with connecting to PSO Ver. 2 on my Dreamcast. I am able to establish a connection and receive the "Welcome to the world of PSO" message, but it is followed by a black screen with four colored hexagons on the bottom right and an eventual timeout screen that presents the following error:

"Attempt to connect to the server has failed. It is possible that the server is undergoing maintenance. The line will be disconnected. PRESS START BUTTON."

I am using the Sylverant patcher disk and a legitimate copy of the game disk from my own personal collection. I recall a similar error would occur when I would accidentally forget to put in the patcher disk, so I tried making a new patcher disk. No such luck. I also tried loading up DreamPi on a new SD card AND using a different Rasperry Pi; all of which gave me the same end result. I am using the all-in-one modem that I bought directly from the Dreamcast Live shop a few years ago, and it shows the two solid green lights signifying that I have a working connection.

Lastly, it is worth noting that prior to upgrading my router I was able to connect to PSO and select a server without encountering the black/colored hexagon screen of doom.

I am really hoping someone on here can help me address the problem. I made some friends on the Altimira server a few years back and was hoping to reconnect with the cool people that keep this awesome game alive.

Thank you in advance. Have a great day.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Trouble Connecting to PSO Ver. 2 Upon Switching Routers

Post by |darc| »

Try setting your router's MTU setting to 1400.
It's thinking...
altavares57
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by altavares57 »

Thank you for the reply.

So, with my Asus RT-AX3000 router I'm unable to alter the MTU settings without either: 1.) Changing the WAN Connection to PPPoE. Or 2.) Installing Merlin Firmware. I've tried both, with the former disconnecting me from the internet entirely and the latter not being compatible with my device (I think?).

I noticed that, by default, the MTU is set to 1492 upon enabling the WAN connection type to PPoE. I'm not the best with internet stuff, but I'm hoping this information helps.

Thanks again.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Unfortunately, if you cannot change the MTU, you might be stuck. PSO is known to have problems with MTU > 1400. It can even result in corrupted game saves. :(
It's thinking...
altavares57
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by altavares57 »

No worries, this is good to know!

Thank you again.