The Big Fat DCEmu Smash Bros. Thread

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Big Fat DCEmu Smash Bros. Thread

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The 3DS game has been out for a bit, and now it is followed by its Wii U counterpart.

I have my copy.

I'm sure several of you have yours.

What do you think, what do you like/not like, what controllers are you using, and are you dipping into the Amiibo madness?

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: The Big Fat DCEmu Smash Bros. Thread

Post by |darc| »

I haven't touched the 3DS version at all, I waited and preoirdered the $100 bundle that comes with the game, GameCube controller, and 4-port Wii U-GameCube adapter.

I have been playing for a few hours, and I basically feel the same way I do about Mario Kart 8--it's the perfection of the game. And, as with Mario Kart 8, I really wonder what the fuck they're going to do next generation to top these titles.

Super Smash Bros. for N64 was a great game, and Melee was fantastic... I felt like Brawl was a regression though. But Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is pretty much perfect so far.

I love that you can use any controller Nintendo has released for the last 3 generations of consoles. I have 2 GameCube controllers, 1 Wavebird Controller, 2 Classic Controllers+WiiMote combos, 1 WiiMote+Nunchuk combo, 1 Wii U Pro controller, and 1 Wii U tablet controller that I have accumulated in the past decade-plus, which means that I already have 8 controllers if I ever find 7 people to come over by my house interested in playing the game in 8-player Smash mode. As an adult, that unfortunately seems unlikely, but when I was a teenager several times I had friends get together and with 2 GameCubes and do 8 player tournaments.

The "Smash Bros" branded GameCube controller that comes in the bundle has a really long cord, much longer than the original GameCube controllers, which is nice because most people are used to wireless controllers these days and have their consoles farther away than they used to.

There's so many modes in this new version it will certainly take a while to get bored of playing in any one specific mode.

~50 characters is a shitload, I'm worried that there might not be enough balance, but I haven't played long enough to determine if that is the case or not.

So far I've only really played as Mega Man and Little Mac. From the moment they announced Mega Man I was ecstatic because I'm a huge NES Mega Man fanatic, and they did a fantastic job with him IMO. I used to pick either Kirby or Link, with not feeling either of them was really my character, but so far I feel that is the case with Mega Man. But so far I am playing better with Little Mac, it seems easy to just button mash with him and be successful. But I think I will attempt to stick with and master playing as Mega Man.

I like how in online play there's a "for fun" mode and a "for glory" mode. "For fun" mode has items turned on, regular stages, and battle stats are not recorded. In "for glory" mode, items are turned off, stages are all flat with no platforms, and stats are recorded--it's a pure fighting mode. When my friends and I would seriously want to challenge each other in the Melee days, we always played on Final Destination (the flat level) and turned off items to remove all forms of chance and get down to pure skill in who was a better player. Later on I found out this is how people play Smash Bros in tournaments, but I have never been to one. So it's fantastic to see that they really listened to the players and the community and added special modes for the game to be this way. That having been said, I haven't played online yet, I'm still getting used to the gameplay in offline mode and I'm trying to unlock all the characters and stages.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Currently figuring out my controller situation. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten the $99 bundle... but I just got the game, because we already have four WaveBIrds, three (original) wired GC controllers, and three individual GC-to-Classic-Controller adapters. (They let you plug the GC controller into a Wiimote and use it as a Classic Controller, though they have some issues with WaveBirds.)

We won't reach a full eight players very often, but we typically have a gathering of 5-6 on Saturdays for game night, and it would be nice if everyone could have GameCube controllers. Unfortunately, those adapters seem to be sold out everywhere now.

However, we do have four Wiimotes (six if we count the two non-Plus ones that go with the regular Wii), the three GC adapters, three Classic Controllers, the GamePad, and two 3DSes (which I'd prefer not to use for this purpose). Also four nunchucks, though I doubt anyone will choose those.

We can get up to eight; it'll just be a sloppy mess of mismatched controllers.

As far as the game itself: we've unlocked all of the characters and about half the extra levels. The goal is to have everything opened up in time for our Thanksgiving tournament.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Yeah, you probably should have gotten the official GameCube adapter bundle. The big reason for me is because it is wired. Back in the GameCube days, I had the official Indigo purple controller and a WaveBird. My friend Jeff and I were really, really competitive with SSB:M, and while he was probably a little bit better than I was, I always used the WaveBird because it was wireless, and after some time I started to realize that there was some input lag there. I'd stick in a set of fresh batteries and suddenly I'd start performing better.

I doubt anyone will be playing seriously/competitively when you're in 8-player mode, so the mismatched controllers are probably no big deal, but I would highly recommend getting your hands on one of the wired adapters just for those moments when you might really be playing for your reputations. ;)

It's not too late, btw, they sell the Smash Bros. GameCube controller (with extra long cord) for $29.99 and the GameCube 4-port Adapter for $19.99, so you can still pick 'em up if you wish.

As for myself, I have all the players unlocked and all the stages except for PAC-LAND... currently working on that one right now.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

8-player Smash Bros. is a work of beautiful insanity. It is exactly how all those hours of Melee in college look through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia.

(For maximum effect, use something horizontally small but with a few vertical layers. My favorite stage for this mode is Kongo Jungle 64.)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Oh, and I think you're right about the controller lag. I particularly notice it in trying to directionalize attacks; it's barely perceptible, but JUST enough to make things not come off the way I thought I input them sometimes (particularly trying to turn around and attack).

I did end up getting one of the Smash Bros. GC controllers, though the adapters are sold out EVERYWHERE. So far, no complaints regarding the controller; as mentioned, it basically feels like an original GameCube controller except with a longer cord; the texture of the plastic is also slightly different, but there doesn't seem to be any appreciable difference in heft, resistance, or build quality. This makes a full set of eight for us: four wired and four WaveBirds. One of the wired controllers is currently out of commission, however, as the rubber pads need to be replaced.

We spend way too much money (and space!) on video games :lol: