Let's have an iPhone 6 Discussion

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Let's have an iPhone 6 Discussion

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:I am not a fan of the unnecessary mystery that surrounds Apple products release dates, especially since most hardware updates are forgettable. My younger brother still uses his iPhone 4. Runs just fine.
It's silly to announce a new phone this early.

From Apple's perspective,

1. You want the hype of the product announcement to still be rolling when your product launches, if people get bored of the product they may decide to not buy it
2. If you go around advertising that there will be a new phone, hardly anyone's going to buy an iPhone now, and sales will plummet
3. You don't want to tell your competitors what your next product is going to be until you are ready to release it, that way you maximize the time in which your phone is in the market and hasn't yet been cloned by Samsung.

You keep complaining but can you just give me one single reason why doing this is in Apple's best interest?

Besides, here are the product cycles of the iPhone:

Recent releases
iPhone 5S - Sep 2013 - 364 days after iPhone 5
iPhone 5 - Sep 2012 - 353 days after iPhone 4S
iPhone 4S - Oct 2011 - 467 days after iPhone 4
iPhone 4 - Jun 2010 - 370 days after iPhone 3GS
iPhone 3GS - Jun 2009 - 344 days after iPhone 3G
iPhone 3G - July 2008 - 156 days after iPhone (original)

That's an average of 342 days between each product cycle. Pretty much a year. The last one was released on September 20. So you can pretty much guess that it will be in September.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

1) What? I need to know whether the phone is worth buying months before hand. Normal people would like to save up or buy something else?
2) Unless, the new one isn't what they want. If i6 is bull shit. I will stick with i5. I had no desire to upgrade to i5c or s. It would just help me decide whether to wait for 6 or buy a 4.
3) HA! How does that even make sense from there perspective. Apple just repackages old ideas. The whole finger print thing is old as fuck. Come on. The other 2 points may have some weight to them but the third one doesn't.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

On an unrelated note:

I miss Symbian, my first love.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:1) What? I need to know whether the phone is worth buying months before hand. Normal people would like to save up or buy something else?
2) Unless, the new one isn't what they want. If i6 is bull shit. I will stick with i5. I had no desire to upgrade to i5c or s. It would just help me decide whether to wait for 6 or buy a 4.
3) HA! How does that even make sense from there perspective. Apple just repackages old ideas. The whole finger print thing is old as fuck. Come on. The other 2 points may have some weight to them but the third one doesn't.
1) save up? for what? it's a $200 phone. i know $200 isn't pocket change but it's not an investment most people in Apple's target demographics have to save up for. that's why apple offers the 5c.
2) either way you're buying an iphone so why does apple give a shit? why should they risk their business?
3) :roll:

Anyway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

1) I had an installment plan for my original iPhone. I bought my first iPhone 5 for 600 (with an installment plan) after it was stolen I bought my second one and made a full payment of 650. Cumulatively they cost me 1250$. I will be sticking with T-Mobile so I do not expect the phone to be cheaper than 500$.
2) Good point.
3) Haha.

Well I suppose Apple doesn't need to make a pre-announcement because it will never live up to the hype. As we have already shared countless tech demo's nothing Apple can show will be better then people have imagined. It will also allow more time for competitors to diss the product and expose the flaws.

My younger brother is more techsavy then me now, I am still stuck with the Dreamcast as my go to game console. While he intends to upgrade to a PS4 this year. But before upgrading the gaming console he wanted to update his phone, I was trying to talk him to Apple's club so that the family could Facetime easy.

But he just bought some Sony Xperia something it is supposed to scratch proof, shock proof, water proof, super phone that he believes will run laps around iPhone 7.
A_cold_dish
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by A_cold_dish »

cube_b3 wrote:I am not a fan of the unnecessary mystery that surrounds Apple products release dates, especially since most hardware updates are forgettable. My younger brother still uses his iPhone 4. Runs just fine.
I'm going to have to disagree, but we all know that Apple runs on a tick-tock cycle with their devices, and that seems to work for most people. From my anecdotal experience, most friends with the 5 didn't see the 5s as a big deal (the CPU was amazing though).
cube_b3 wrote:Even if 4 is outdated the 4s is still compatible with every app that the new ones can use.
If it isn't every app then it is every app, I would care to try.
That's a part of the beauty of Apple I feel, even the 4 still gets access to the latest OS (it's been dropped for iOS8 it appears), and still works fine.
cube_b3 wrote:I also doubt iPhone 6 would be anymore evolutionary, after 4s was perceived as a weak update everyone thought 5 would be something innovative it wasn't. 5c/5s are probably the most pathetic upgrades. So yeah, I just want a new one to come out so I can gift my pone to my mom. She is getting impatient and it is possible I would be forced to buy her a 4s or something if no concrete information is available by July.
Well, I feel the 5S was a nice iteration on the 5, TouchID is great, the dual tone flash makes pictures look better. If I had a 5 still, and hadn't switched carriers I wouldn't have upgraded. The 5C is just the 5 in a new skin with some more LTE bands, I'll give you that, but it is otherwise filling an area Apple hadn't ventured into before.

I guess that's being someone who likes cutting edge stuff, we always expect above and beyond what we get, we always seek to improve, and you're not going to please everyone every time. However saying the 5C/5S is pathetic, I don't know, maybe in your opinion, but the A7 is still one of, if not the best ARM based chips available.

As far as news by July, I feel you're going to end up finding your mom a 4S.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Looks like an epic fail.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It's an epic fail why? Because they made the phone larger? Because that's the only thing, at all, that these videos can suggest. And shit, the first video you posted the guy flat out says "don't say anything negative about it until you've held it in your hands."

No one knows what the internals are going to look like. This is all speculation. It could have a fucking time machine in it for all you know. The phone is still months away. stahp
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I said it looks like a dud, even the user reaction was similar to mine with people immediately dismissing it.

I wanted edge to edge display or something unique with the hardware.

Come on, Darc. They have to do something innovative with the hardware.

This is more of the same and iOS8 is software.
Even the reaction from people was divided.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:I said it looks like a dud, even the user reaction was similar to mine with people immediately dismissing it.
Do you really think I care what fanboys say on the internet?
cube_b3 wrote:I wanted edge to edge display or something unique with the hardware.

Come on, Darc. They have to do something innovative with the hardware.
This is exactly why Apple puts such a strong lock on leaks. Because people like you make assumptions. The phone wasn't even powered on, how in the hell do you know what the hardware is or is not capable of?

The only thing you can make a judgment on is the form factor, which seems to be appropriate.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

this whole thread:

cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

@ Darc: The fan boys on the internet are actually optimistic, it was the field test that didn't do so well.
Hardware is visible. You can see it if the phone is off.

The following analogy is restricted to the most visible part of a video game console.
For the purpose of relevance I have focused on the Sega controllers that we are all familiar with.

GENESIS > SATURN> DREAMCAST.

I won't be discussing the midlife upgrades
Up until Dreamcast Sega essentially had the same controller.

Genesis came with 3 button.
Sega Saturn basically added the triggers borrowed from Snes.
The Dreamcast came and totally redefined Sega's controllers.

Apple seems to be stuck in the Sega Saturn stage.

I was expecting iPhone 5 to be Apple's Dreamcast.
If you recall the only reason I upgraded to i5 was because Apple stopped supporting the phone and without OS upgrades the phone wouldn't work with basic apps such as What's App and Skype.

I expected iPhone 5s to be that step in innovation but Ian and you told me that this is just for people whose contracts are expiring or whatever and 6 would be the real upgrade. So far it is not looking like a real upgrade, it just looks more refined version of the original.

@ Fiddler Hahahahaa awesome.
Although this is a much more focused discussion essentially between us 3, so don't categorize me as some asshole on the internet :).
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Went from a 4 to a Note 3 a few months back, don't regret it in the slightest. I won't even look at an Apple phone again unless they offer something around the 5" mark. Even then, I'm not sure I want to go back to the walled "ios garden". Cyanogenmod treats me pretty damn well.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:They have to do something innovative with the hardware.
Why?

I love my Macbook. I love my Bravia TV. I love my kitchen table.

None of them offer innovations, they're just excellently designed current iterations of previously existing products.

I don't know where people have got this idea that the smartphone industry should be some kind of innovation roulette, where every 12-18 months a company comes along and drops some huge gamechanger that nobody saw coming.

The original iPhone completely shook up the mobile phone market. It was incredibly exciting to watch and be a part of. But that's a once in a generation event.

I wonder if my grandparents were bored of the TV seven years after it launched.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:GENESIS > SATURN> DREAMCAST.

I won't be discussing the midlife upgrades
Up until Dreamcast Sega essentially had the same controller.

Genesis came with 3 button.
Sega Saturn basically added the triggers borrowed from Snes.
The Dreamcast came and totally redefined Sega's controllers.

Apple seems to be stuck in the Sega Saturn stage.
I guess what Apple really needs to do is remove two buttons and make the display detachable somehow?

It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

@ Darc: I purposely left out mid-way upgrades. Even if you do include midway upgrades, each controller upgrade shows significant innovation. I also think it is criminal to ignore the VMU. More over had the Dreamcast not been discontinued I am confident Sega would have launched a controller upgrade integrating dual shock features. Further more, they would've introduced VMU with flash memory and maybe a color screen.

What I meant with being stuck in the Saturn stage is just ripping off features from competitors rather than innovating. Sega Saturn controller is basically a Genesis controller with the L + R button ripped off Snes.

Unfortunately, as far as iPhone is concerned 1 - 4S are largely identical.
1 - 6 have a difference in size but no obvious difference.

@ Cork: Yeah my Tv and Kitchen table are fine. I do change my Laptop every 2 - 5 years (though my Desktop still has the casing it came in, I keep upgrading the innerds).

Fortunately, my mom will be travelling overseas next month and won't be back until end of August. When she comes back I may just buy her a 4s or something as I do not see a reason for me to upgrade atleast not to a phone by Apple.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Is there a rule that we need to incorporate Sega into every thread?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

pixel wrote:Is there a rule that we need to incorporate Sega into every thread?
No, but you know who was great when it came to writing rules? Sega. Their rulebooks were brilliant, especially during the Genesis days. That's what's missing from the App Store I think. You should be able to send off for printed rulebooks.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

@ Pixel: This is a website where everyone should be familiar with Sega hence the analogy made sense.

The topic still remains relevant to the topic and a point was made.

Your question, however is deviating from the topic under discussion.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

If this is real, it looks fantastic.
It's thinking...