Go on then, let's talk about Grand Theft Auto V

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Go on then, let's talk about Grand Theft Auto V

Post by Specially Cork »

Typical long-term GTA fan who ended up disappointed with number 4 checking in to say WHOOOOO WHAT A GAME! What a game indeed. I can't put this bad boy down. I'm so glad they spent as long as they did on it. Rockstar have taken elements from every other game they've published this gen and combined it with everything the fans missed from 4 to create their magnum opus.

Since GTA3 I feel this is the game they've always been trying to make. The world is the most immersive I've ever witnessed, the missions are an absolute blast, the side-stuff is fun and plentiful, the story and characters are absolute genius. I've still got loads more to do, but it's already met my very lofty expectations.

There's been so many open-world crimey game this gen and only last month Saints Row 4 threw far more gameplay options at me than GTA ever has, but you can't escape that feeling you're just pissing about in some lazy paint-by-numbers sandbox. Rockstar has created something so much better: a world where you don't need superpowers and aliens, because they've made the simplicity of just crashing a car fun again.

Aaaaand GTA Online hasn't even launched yet, plus there's DLC - which with Rockstar usually ends up being a separate game in itself.

Game of the year? Definitely.
Game of the generation? Probably.

Which is funny, considering my only complaint is I'd love to see it running on some better hardware. While it's not atrocious, there's just enough texture pop-in and fps dips to remind me their vision stretched beyond a machine made in 2006.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Has thanked: 0

Re: Go on then, let's talk about Grand Theft Auto V

Post by melancholy »

I bought it on launch day, but haven't really got to sit down and actually try it for more than an hour. But tonight I have to adjust my sleep schedule to work two overnights this week for store resets, so I plan to spend my night in the recliner with a Mountain Dew and this game.

Honestly, if it wasn't for having to worry about a 3-year-old watching, I would probably have played it more by now.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Been thanked: 0

Post by Skynet »

Finished the main story, completed about 86% of the game. I could have done so much more but I just find myself driving around the massive map.

I see a lot of people complaining about the pop-in but I've barely noticed it. I did notice it a few times driving around the more urban areas but not too much. The drop in FPS is sometimes annoying, but overall I'm pleased and think it feels like it runs better than 4.

I didn't hate 4 but I know a lot of people didn't like it, but this game is way better in every way. Even something simple like the way the fabric shifts on the back of a hoodie for example.

I aim to 100% it before GTA Online is released, but unless I can do it by the end of today or do it next weekend, I doubt I'll get the time.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I had Michael wearing flip-flops and they actually behave like flip-flops, hitting the bottom of his feet with every step. Such a minor thing, but it amazes me that when contrasted with the huge scope of the game, there was still enough time taken to animate that.

As for completing it? Pfft. I'm lucky if I can get 2 hours of gaming in a day on average, so Ill be with this for the rest of the year probably.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Roughly at 93.8% at the moment. The only reason I've got so much done is I didn't go to work this week. :lol:

Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I bought this on PS3 and well it's fun and all. I just cannot stand the controls. The game feels clunky with a controller, especially driving and shooting. I'm only about 2% of the way into the game because of this. I guess I'll just wait for a pc release for something that is actually playable.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Wagh wrote:I bought this on PS3 and well it's fun and all. I just cannot stand the controls. The game feels clunky with a controller, especially driving and shooting. I'm only about 2% of the way into the game because of this. I guess I'll just wait for a pc release for something that is actually playable.
I think the controls are fine. The cover mechanics aren't perfect, but the driving is superb this time.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Played about 3 hours last night, and I'm starting to get worried. I have been doing mission after mission with Franklin, and can't unlock any other characters. I think I have to go to that car dealership to actually progress the story, but I can't enter any doors and the garage door at the back where I have been entering is shut. I have no idea how to get inside, which makes me wonder if my game is glitched. I finally gave up and turned it off, so hopefully when my game reloads I have some kind of way of finally moving along.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Waiting for PC version as well. I have always found the controls on the console-based GTA games to really hinder what I want to do. Unless it supports a kb/m on the 360 version, I'll have to wait.
It's thinking...
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Specially Cork wrote:
Wagh wrote:I bought this on PS3 and well it's fun and all. I just cannot stand the controls. The game feels clunky with a controller, especially driving and shooting. I'm only about 2% of the way into the game because of this. I guess I'll just wait for a pc release for something that is actually playable.
I think the controls are fine. The cover mechanics aren't perfect, but the driving is superb this time.
Yep, controls are fine with the exception of the cover mechanic and sometimes shooting at distance isn't as accurate as you'd like but the lock on can help with that if theyre not too far away. The only real issue I have is sniping at a distance. Other than that it's perfectly fine with a controller. As for Wagh's driving comment, driving feels way better than it did in GTA 4.

Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

|darc| wrote:Waiting for PC version as well. I have always found the controls on the console-based GTA games to really hinder what I want to do. Unless it supports a kb/m on the 360 version, I'll have to wait.

I tried... I tried so hard. But then my Iceni campaign on Legendary on Rome 2 threw me into a violent fit of rage (not to mention I'm hooked on FFXIV as well), so I jumped into the car and got GTAV. Very happy with the purchase---having lots of fun---but I'll consider the PC release the real version, as I also struggle with these clunky controls... and of course, the mods are where it's at. Can't wait to see this billion-dollar-maker with at least anti-aliasing enabled.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:Waiting for PC version as well. I have always found the controls on the console-based GTA games to really hinder what I want to do. Unless it supports a kb/m on the 360 version, I'll have to wait.
Driving with digital controls?

...if that's what floats your boat. :o
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:Played about 3 hours last night, and I'm starting to get worried. I have been doing mission after mission with Franklin, and can't unlock any other characters. I think I have to go to that car dealership to actually progress the story, but I can't enter any doors and the garage door at the back where I have been entering is shut. I have no idea how to get inside, which makes me wonder if my game is glitched. I finally gave up and turned it off, so hopefully when my game reloads I have some kind of way of finally moving along.
There should be a small yellow circle outside the dealership...I think there's a glitch where it doesn't show in the map sometimes but you can still activate the mission.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Specially Cork wrote:

On PC, when we get into a car we pick up the controller. Both inputs are recognized simultaneously on IV.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Specially Cork wrote:

On PC, when we get into a car we pick up the controller. Both inputs are recognized simultaneously on IV.
lol
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Specially Cork wrote:

I'd rather drive with digital controls than aim without a pointing device.

But yes, I have controllers that I can use for PC so I can use whatever I want whenever I want on the PC version.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:
Specially Cork wrote:

I'd rather drive with digital controls than aim without a pointing device.

But yes, I have controllers that I can use for PC so I can use whatever I want whenever I want on the PC version.
What PC version? :P

CONSOLEGAMER4LIFE
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Not too much going on in the Westerner compound, it seems.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Not too much going on in the Westerner compound, it seems.
There never is.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I've got an old iPod Touch I use for music listening while on the shitter. They tell me I can get ~$30 for a trade-in, so I'll stop by Gamestop after class is done.