Nintendo DS Released

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by |darc| »

Veggita2099 wrote:I finnally got to try out the DS today. Of course the only game they had was that crap Metroid demo. I thought Prime had some crap controls, but that one was even worse! As far as the system goes I like it. Wish it had something besides that stupid Metroid Demo and Pico Chat with it though.
You... cannot possibly... have been playing it correctly..
It's thinking...
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Link2k4 »

zerotype wrote:Wow great wya to make this a topic from the 90's n64 vs playstation...
Any ways I Might get a ds later on.I do really like what I have seen from it though.However I think the psp will out do the ds due to marketing since alll the sony fan boys will run out and buy it.
Yeah, it is sad but true. The saddest part about it is, the DS is awesome, I like the stylus and the picochat is fresh. I like the way you aim iin MP: H its kinda like being a god, you command to aim and shoot, lol.

I will get a DS probably next year after the down fall of my job ends, you know how retail is, we die after christmas LOL. I am just pissed cuz fanboys will buy sony's craptastic way of marketing always brain washes people, I loved how Black aura spelled it out. :}.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Veggita2099 wrote:I finnally got to try out the DS today. Of course the only game they had was that crap Metroid demo. I thought Prime had some crap controls, but that one was even worse! As far as the system goes I like it. Wish it had something besides that stupid Metroid Demo and Pico Chat with it though.
So you don't want a simplified MP-type control, and you don't want a PC-FPS type control, what exactly do you want?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
InvisixIsLeet
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by InvisixIsLeet »

@Nyarlathotep:

I appologize if you took my post wrong.

I know that Nintendo 64 hardware is better than Playstation hardware, I stated that fact in my post. I was only talking about polygon count. However, yes, I know that PSX games look worse than N64 games do when emulated.

I also will note that PSX suffered from "3D wobble", which really was an eye-sore.

I know Sony *AND* Microsoft love to throw around theoretical specs for their systems. Nintendo and Sega are the only two that gave realistic system performance.
InvisixIsLeet
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by InvisixIsLeet »

@Veggita2099:

You are the only person that I have seen complain about the Metroid demo.

Even my girlfriend who has never placed a FPS game in her life, knows how to play the Metroid demo. :o
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Invisix wrote:@Veggita2099:

Even my girlfriend who has never placed a FPS game in her life, knows how to play the Metroid demo. :o
I really didn't to get to play it much, so I will admit I might have been unfair in the judgement. However from what I see I couldn't do nothing. Within the next couple of weeks I will get a DS, perhaps I will adjust to them. If they are indeed similar to a FPS on PC I might actualyl like that game.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

VERY similar, in fact. The D-pad (or ABXY buttons, depending on whether you're righty or lefty) act like the arrow keys, the shoulder triggers fire, and the touchscreen works exactly like mouse aiming. The only slightly annoying thing is the jump control...but there are multiple control schemes, and they may find a better way of doing this anyway by the time the final game comes out.

Also, you should probably know that First Hunt is just a tech. demo. It doesn't really have the diverse atmospheres and enemies of a normal Metroid game; it's just a couple of training levels, to show off the engine and controls.

If you don't like controlling with the stylus, you may want to start using the thumb strap. There's a nub on it for easy use with the touchscreen (this is how you play Mario 64), and I think you'll find it pretty easy to control...plus, it lets you hold the system with both hands easily. The stylus is really better for drawing/manipulation based tasks, like PictoChat and the minigames in Mario. The thumb strap is a better movement controller.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Invisix wrote:@Veggita2099:

He complains about Metroid Prime every single chance he gets. First Hunt handles great, but I must say that the demo is only meant for multiplayer. There's really nothing to do in the single player mode. Nintendo really should of chose a different game to be displayed. Eh, but since first hunt looks great and uses the touchscreen in a great way, then I guess they made the right choice.

I read that a warp pipe like project for the DS is about to be released within a matter of days. I found it on http://www.dshandheld.com/

If this software is actually made, then I'm totally getting a DS when they're plentiful.
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

I just bought 9 (well, I bought 7, gf bought 2) of these tonight... :D

Muahahah... (Yes, I'm trying out the multiplayer)...
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

SinisterTengu wrote:I picked up my DS last night a little after midnight, and I really like it so far. The system is a bit bigger than I expected it to be, and man are those game cards tiny!

Anyways, the controls aren't bad, once you adjust. You get close to the same amount of precision as the analog on the touch-screen if you need it. I've switched to using the touch-screen most of the time. Not with the stylus though. The pad on the wrist strap works much better for Mario. And Metroid for that matter in the default control mode. If you switch to the mode where Samus actually shoots where you click, you'll need to use the stylus though. For those of you that don't know about the wrist-band pad (I didn't until my friend told me earlier today), here is a pic:

Haha. Tengu has fat hands.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

|darc| wrote:
You... cannot possibly... have been playing it correctly..

You're talking to the guy who got halfway through Vice City without knowing there was a lock-on targetting button.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe