halo2 vs halflife2

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Eckostyle »

einbebop44 wrote:I love how everyone acts as if their opinion is a fact.
Welcome to DCEmu.
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

Eckostyle wrote:
einbebop44 wrote:I love how everyone acts as if their opinion is a fact.
Welcome to DCEmu.
Infact welcome to the real world, everyone has an opinion on everything... Even I do.

Except in this case I refuse to compare them till halo 2 is released on PC because you can't compare them in terms of graphics, control/gameplay and various other factors. So what's the point?
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

I think all that matters is which is more fun to play than the other.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

zero wrote:
good story, good level design, interesting choice of weaponry, fun physics based gameplay and a solid, scalable engine.

Yes, take all those away, and its probably not a good game. Take those away and its not a game at all
Ok, take halos story and levels and put them in the source engine, does that mean halo is reinventing the fps genre?, cos what your saying is that by hl2 having a better story and better choice of weaponry etc then some other fps games it's reinventing the fps genre, when all it really is doing is doing them things better then most other fps.
No, I'm saying

For the third time I wrote:Where most FPS games (yes, halo 1 *especially*) have dull 'gruntwork' parts to take you to the next setpiece, HL2 is one long setpiece - you genuinely do not know what you are next in for. It's not perfect (what is?) but it is streets ahead of anything else out there at the moment.
:roll:

Does Halo 2 merge every part of every level into one continous segueing whole?

No, no it does not. FFS.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
zero wrote:
good story, good level design, interesting choice of weaponry, fun physics based gameplay and a solid, scalable engine.

Yes, take all those away, and its probably not a good game. Take those away and its not a game at all
Ok, take halos story and levels and put them in the source engine, does that mean halo is reinventing the fps genre?, cos what your saying is that by hl2 having a better story and better choice of weaponry etc then some other fps games it's reinventing the fps genre, when all it really is doing is doing them things better then most other fps.
No, I'm saying

For the third time I wrote:Where most FPS games (yes, halo 1 *especially*) have dull 'gruntwork' parts to take you to the next setpiece, HL2 is one long setpiece - you genuinely do not know what you are next in for. It's not perfect (what is?) but it is streets ahead of anything else out there at the moment.
:roll:

Does Halo 2 merge every part of every level into one continous segueing whole?

No, no it does not. FFS.
why do you keep saying the same thing over again?, i asked you how is half life 2 reinventing the fps genre, and then you reply with the same thing you already said, so let me get this right, you're now saying hl2 is reinventing the fps genre by what?, mergin every part of every level into one continous segueing whole?, i can name one game that does that off the top of my head Farcry, look you know as well as i do that hl2 is not reinventing the fps genre, all its doing is doing what some other fps do, only hl2 is doing it better then them, saying its reinventing something is a big statement, now the first half life reinvented the fps genre, cos at the time fps wasn't knowing for having much of a story line, and such setpiece's, and then hl came along and changed all that, hl2 is just doing the same thing hl1 did, only bigger and better...
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Halo 1/2 are all about combat. Everything is built around a combat engine. Everything. Which is why Bungie massively screwed up the levels (too repetetive) and some of the graphical glitches.

I much prefer Unreal Tournament to Halo 2 or the bits I've played of HL1/2. Now that was a friggin' innovative game. But best shooter ever? Deus Ex.

:)
Very sexy hero, omg
megaman8x
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by megaman8x »

I haven't seen a single review from any source whose impartiality I respect that gave Halo PC more than 7/10.

Yes, I am fully aware that certain magazines and sites gave it 10/10 BEST GAME EVAR THATS OUT THIS MONTH! awards, but certain magazines and sites would give a spray painted turd a gold medal and a 98% score if they were given sufficient cash by the game in questions PR company.
that so true, i remeber reading in egm of about how they had 3 issues in a roll plastered with 15 pages of halo 2 info and a dude asked why they put so much time to halo instead of otogi 2 and there respose was "because i bet if had a poll of which theyed reather see, halo would win."

pretty gay answer to me :?
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Well, I have to base my opinion soley on single player, considering I have 56k, and no Xbox live....Halo 2 was good, but not good enough. Halo was much better, other then the fact there was no difficulty in it. The only part I really liked about Halo 2 was the challenge of Legendary.

Havent played Half Life 2, but even if its a tad better then Half Life was, it rips Halo 2 a new asshole.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

i liked half life, never played half life 2, wont work on my pc. But i play halo and halo 2 a lot, i hate the sp but really like the mp, well i cant get on xbox live, but my friends and I have lan parties every saturday with halo, project gothem racing 2, and worms (not 3d it sucks). So until i can play half life 2 at a decent speed, my vote goes towards worms world party....... i mean halo 2.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

zero wrote: why do you keep saying the same thing over again?, i asked you how is half life 2 reinventing the fps genre, and then you reply with the same thing you already said, so let me get this right, you're now saying hl2 is reinventing the fps genre by what?, mergin every part of every level into one continous segueing whole?, i can name one game that does that off the top of my head Farcry, look you know as well as i do that hl2 is not reinventing the fps genre, all its doing is doing what some other fps do, only hl2 is doing it better then them, saying its reinventing something is a big statement, now the first half life reinvented the fps genre, cos at the time fps wasn't knowing for having much of a story line, and such setpiece's, and then hl came along and changed all that, hl2 is just doing the same thing hl1 did, only bigger and better...
I keep repeating what I was saying because you obviously didn't read it, and kept asking me why it was a reinvention - Far Cry was a solid FPS, but it DID NOT continously segue one setpiece to another - there are numerous 'wandering through the jungle to the next set piece' parts to it, and there are numerous cutscenes to break the game up into easily definable 'chunks'

HL2 does not do this, it is one continous whole.

The only other FPS I have ever played that comes even vaguely close to this in this respect is Deus EX, and even then, that was clearly split into 'filler' and 'set piece' like most other FPSs, but toned it down slightly by reusing previous levels as 'hubs'.
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

XPoGoX wrote:why does everyone think halo 2 sucks online?. The game is great to me..the whole sniper ruining the gameplay issuse is kinda weak. In any case i think both games are great, hl2 online isnt the best just yet, in acouple months it will be great.
The cheaters, glitches, and all the annoying little pansies calling you a "N" or other profanities. I love playing Halo 2 online and system link. In fact I just got done hosting a lan party of it. It's a great multiplayer game.

I love the Halo series. Don't get me wrong though, I felt jipped as hell w/ the second ones story and the first one didn't offer anything innovative to the FPS shooter market, just the console market.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Nyarlathotep wrote:HL2 does not do this, it is one continous whole.
I don't know where you've been but hl2 and halo2 are setup in the exact same manner. Also I hate zero as much as you do but for gods sake your opinion is not fucking fact.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

ingame - and Ive only played the Halo 2 demo - there is a clear difference beteen the 'filler' parts to the next set piece, and the next set piece itself.

HL2 is one long setpiece - the 'filler' parts are the loadtimes.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Also I hate zero as much as you do
`Can i ask you why you hate me?, and i don't think nyar hates me, i know i don't hate him or you for that matter, not having the same opinion as someone is no grounds to hate that person.

And nyar, i love hl2 as much as you, i think its the best fps since hl, but i don't think its doing anything to reinvente the genre, just doing what a lot of other fps do only much better, can the fps genre even be reinvented?.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

zero wrote:i don't think its doing anything to reinvente the genre, just doing what a lot of other fps do only much better, can the fps genre even be reinvented?.
IMO HL2 does it, Deus EX certainly did it, so did Quake 1. More arguably CS, Team Fortress and XIII all did it too

EDIT: FYI, the only poster I actually hate is SkillsMakinMills. And possibly Falcon4.
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

I think we can all agree that paragraphs, capital letters, and proper punctuation are our friends.

I am sure I'm not the only one who avoids reading posts that are just a bunch of words haphazardly placed together. If you are not willing to put in the time to atleast try to make it understandable, I will not put the time into reading it.

D out

EDIT: When I say you I mean anyone this applys to, I'm not targeting anyone specificly.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

My vote goes to HL2. I'm not that far into it...though...I'm having great fun with the game's physics :D I've never been much of a Halo fan. In my opinion, it's an average FPS that happens to be easily playable with a controller. I believe Halo would have fallen under the radar if it hadn't been for the ridiculously large reticle and the slow-motion gameplay that made easy use of the controller possible. Multiplayer bored me. I prefered TS2. To Halo's credit...it did have a nifty story.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Deus Ex is the best shooter--actually, game--I've ever played. The story is nothing short of incredible, and the melding of play types is also quite incredible. Nothing had touched this, at least for me.
I think we can all agree that paragraphs, capital letters, and proper punctuation are our friends.

I am sure I'm not the only one who avoids reading posts that are just a bunch of words haphazardly placed together. If you are not willing to put in the time to atleast try to make it understandable, I will not put the time into reading it.

D out

EDIT: When I say you I mean anyone this applys to, I'm not targeting anyone specificly.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you just said.
Very sexy hero, omg
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Nyarlathotep wrote:and Ive only played the Halo 2 demo
Then you have no idea what you're talking about. CASE CLOSED.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

If you are not willing to put in the time to atleast try to make it understandable, I will not put the time into reading it.
And im sure i'd miss you not reading my posts.