Radiohead Actually *Gets* Digital Distribution

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Radiohead Actually *Gets* Digital Distribution

Post by Lartrak »

jaredfogle wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
Zealous zerotype wrote:Good game Radiohead, release an album with an old encoder and in a shit bitrate. You guys TOTALLY *got* it

signed

zerotype
Xylene
Thomas
and not idiots
lol audiophiles. You're the musical equivalent of those hippies who moan about non-organic produce.
MP3 sounds like shit. Some people can hear it, some can't. Some people use earbuds, some people use well-driven Bose floorstanding speakers.

STFU.
When you get to 256 or higher in double blind tests, very few people can tell the difference, and even then not even close to 100% of the time. At that level I wouldn't say they sound bad, properly encoded. I think a lot of the time, the placebo effect makes the real difference.

Though in principle, I don't like paying for something I can't get an uncompressed copy of.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Lartrak wrote:
jaredfogle wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
Zealous zerotype wrote:Good game Radiohead, release an album with an old encoder and in a shit bitrate. You guys TOTALLY *got* it

signed

zerotype
Xylene
Thomas
and not idiots
lol audiophiles. You're the musical equivalent of those hippies who moan about non-organic produce.
MP3 sounds like shit. Some people can hear it, some can't. Some people use earbuds, some people use well-driven Bose floorstanding speakers.

STFU.
When you get to 256 or higher in double blind tests, very few people can tell the difference, and even then not even close to 100% of the time. At that level I wouldn't say they sound bad, properly encoded. I think a lot of the time, the placebo effect makes the real difference.

Though in principle, I don't like paying for something I can't get an uncompressed copy of.
There are really too many factors involved to make such a blanket statement.

Are we listening to Miles Davis or Against Me!?
Are we listening to headphones or a good stereo in a warm room that holds sound?

I think my ears are unusually sensitive--I've trained them to be. But trust me, compression matters. I know the ins and outs of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue. If someone put on the album in MP3, I would probably notice. Even if it was 256 LAME.

But then, I'm also the type who has three different masterings of most of my Beatles and Dylan albums... and can spot the differences...

I think compression especially matters with dirtier, older, analog recordings.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Lartrak wrote: I think a lot of the time, the placebo effect makes the real difference.
To me, I'm fairly sure that most of what I listen to in lossless formats sound better due to the placebo effect. But it makes me feel like I'm getting more out of it, and that's worth the extra hard drive space that I spend to hold lossless.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

jaredfogle wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
jaredfogle wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:

signed

zerotype
Xylene
Thomas
and not idiots

STFU.

There are really too many factors involved to make such a blanket statement.

Are we listening to Miles Davis or Against Me!?
Are we listening to headphones or a good stereo in a warm room that holds sound?

I think my ears are unusually sensitive--I've trained them to be. But trust me, compression matters. I know the ins and outs of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue. If someone put on the album in MP3, I would probably notice. Even if it was 256 LAME.

But then, I'm also the type who has three different masterings of most of my Beatles and Dylan albums... and can spot the differences...

I think compression especially matters with dirtier, older, analog recordings.
I notice the difference, and it's unfortunate that the album is encoded is at such a low bitrate. 128 sounds kind of muddy in general, but above that, the main difference is a loss of precision in the high-frequency range. Subtle details that you lose the ability to hear as you grow older. (I'm a trained musician, though, so I'm more used to listening for those subtle details than a lot of people). This is the main reason I don't buy my music online, even with DRM-free options starting to become more abundant.

However, I do think this is a definite step in the right direction (though it's unfortunate that they're still going to release through a major label). I'd love to see the industry turn into something more akin to the webcomic industry, where the "main" product is given away free, and the money is all from merchandise and special editions, put out directly by the creator. The artists make more money, it fosters a closer relationship and brand-loyalty with fans, and you don't end up with all this ridiculous litigation.

As far as the album itself:

My reaction was quite similar to that of most Moby albums. There are a few tracks I liked, but somewhere between half and two-thirds of it was a little too dull and repetitive for me. I didn't really like enough of it to warrant a purchase of the album, but I do really appreciate the band providing me the opportunity to LISTEN to it before having to put down any money. Bands should be applauded for this. TMBG, for example, lets you listen to their more classic songs on their website. The Flaming Lips' site is set up to stream (but not download) their most recent album in its entirety, as well as highlights from their last several releases. Smaller bands like Estradasphere and The Red Elvises actively encourage their fans to record and upload their live performances; the former actually hosts a FLAC archive of all their shows.

I'm the kind of person who really did use KaZaA and eMule and such in college just to try before buying; about 80% of what I "obtained" in college, I ended up buying on CD...the rest I deleted, because it didn't turn out to be as good as I'd hoped.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

I'd love to see the industry turn into something more akin to the webcomic industry
99% crap? with a few really awesome bands? don't get me wrong i love the webcomics i read, but i can literally count them on one hand. same with podcasts. sure theres some awesome podcasts, but 99% of them are shit.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I liked the album. It's a good relaxation album I think. Like Moby, who has already been mentioned in this thread, the album isn't really good to sit there and listen to with full attention, it's good background music.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I figure some of you might find this interesting, http://puddlegum.net/.

I am trying it out now.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Thomas wrote:I figure some of you might find this interesting, http://puddlegum.net/.

I am trying it out now.
Someone's got too much time on their hands... no, seriously - I usually find theories like this interesting... but I'm not sure there's enough concrete evidence for this one to exist.

It'd still be a damn good playlist though.

- Fuzmeister
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7082627.stm
Nearly two-thirds of downloaders paid nothing for Radiohead's latest album, a survey has suggested.

Fans were invited to put their own price on the 10 MP3 files that made up In Rainbows, from nothing to £100.

But internet monitoring company Comscore found that only 38% of downloaders willingly paid to do so.

The average price paid for the album was $6 (£2.90), the study - based on a survey of the online behaviour of over two million internet users - found.

American fans were the most generous, paying on average $8.05 (£3.85), compared to the $4.64 (£2.22) paid by those outside the US.

Risks

Of those who were willing to pay, the largest percentage (17%) paid less than $4 (£1.90). However 12% were willing to pay between $8-$12, (£3.80 - £5.71).
Don't really think the record companies are going to be paying too much attention. Considering how much buzz there was about this, 62% not paying a single cent is pretty appalling.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BoneyCork wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7082627.stm

Don't really think the record companies are going to be paying too much attention. Considering how much buzz there was about this, 62% not paying a single cent is pretty appalling.
I don't think this is accurate. Plenty of people downloaded once to see if they liked the product, then downloaded again to pay. Plenty of people refused to pay more because of the crappy sound quality. Plenty of people downloaded multiple copies from different computers, paying only one of the times.
It's thinking...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The average price paid for the album was $6
Even if this is only the average among people who paid, that's still a lot of money considering that they apparently aren't spending millions on manufacturing, distribution, promotion/payola, etc.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
The average price paid for the album was $6
Even if this is only the average among people who paid, that's still a lot of money considering that they apparently aren't spending millions on manufacturing, distribution, promotion/payola, etc.
Someone on Slashdot did calculations and came out that they were just slightly ahead of what they would have got if every download were a CD purchase at the usual price.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I think this gauges a good price point of what people will pay for a download. Plus it shows that more money could be made by labels if they simply lowered the cost of their downloads to $6. Sure, they would make less per individual, but they would turn a bigger profit in mass. Hopefully these results will help encourage lower digital prices.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I would definitely be willing to spend money on music if prices were reduced to $6. I hardly ever purchase music nowadays. Maybe 1 CD a year, at most...
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:I would definitely be willing to spend money on music if prices were reduced to $6. I hardly ever purchase music nowadays. Maybe 1 CD a year, at most...
I buy quite a bit...probably 10-20 CDs a year. I bargain-shop, though...lots of used copies, and typically try to buy direct from the band (through their website or at a show) if there isn't a large price difference.