Just bought Doom 3.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by burnerO »

Why not something like:

pak.bat:
ren pakfolder\*.pak *.bak
doom3

multi.bat:
ren pakfolder\*.bak *.pak
doom3

Perhaps that's overly simplified, but I don't have the game and am speaking purely based on observation.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Multi-Player Off

Code: Select all

rename pak000.pk4 pak000.pk4.bak
rename pak001.pk4 pak001.pk4.bak
rename pak002.pk4 pak002.pk4.bak
rename pak003.pk4 pak003.pk4.bak
rename pak004.pk4 pak004.pk4.bak
@echo off
echo --------------------
echo  PAK files renamed!
pause
exit
Multi-Player On:

rename pak000.pk4.bak pak000.pk4
rename pak001.pk4.bak pak001.pk4
rename pak002.pk4.bak pak002.pk4
rename pak003.pk4.bak pak003.pk4
rename pak004.pk4.bak pak004.pk4
@echo off
echo  PAK files renamed!
pause
exit
Drop those in your Doom3\base folder and create shortcuts to them on your desktop.
It's thinking...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

This game is getting good.

I can't deny the similarities others have made with the opening sequences and Half-Life, but once you get past that, the gameplay is really edgy and spooky. This is the first game I've played to make such mandatory use of the flashlight every other room you enter.

Those spiders are becoming a nuissance though.. and the giant half-demon, half-rhino, half-robot things take so long to kill.

I dont regret my $55 one bit as of now. :)

PS: Does anyone else feel Resident Evil-esque when being marauded by a group of zombies? Almost like, want RE always wanted to be?
Last edited by Jeeba Jabba on Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Hurricane Hasney? wrote:You might as well run Doom 3 from there as well though :D
I prefer not, because I don't like having the command prompt open while Doom 3 is, but if you want to, instead drop these in the Doom 3 folder (not Doom 3\base)

Single-Player:

rename base\pak000.pk4 base\pak000.pk4.bak
rename base\pak001.pk4 base\pak001.pk4.bak
rename base\pak002.pk4 base\pak002.pk4.bak
rename base\pak003.pk4 base\pak003.pk4.bak
rename base\pak004.pk4 base\pak004.pk4.bak
doom3
Multi-Player:

rename base\pak000.pk4.bak base\pak000.pk4
rename base\pak001.pk4.bak base\pak001.pk4
rename base\pak002.pk4.bak base\pak002.pk4
rename base\pak003.pk4.bak base\pak003.pk4
rename base\pak004.pk4.bak base\pak004.pk4
doom3
Edit: btw, you can right click the shortcut, go to properties, and click "Change Icon". Browse to the Doom3.exe file and select the normal icon. This way you can have the normal icon with the shortcut instead of the batch file icon.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It's thinking...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

az_bont wrote:I was reading a few people on Slashdot saying that the engine is so complex that you won't ever see more than 3 enemies on the screen.

I just counted 12... in the same room.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

yeah, I've begun seeing tons of enemies in the same room. It sucks.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Random_Troll wrote:yeah, I've begun seeing tons of enemies in the same room. It sucks.

Heh.. I just fell down this chamber, It was PITCH BLACK with about 10 imps down there with me. Complete hell. I just had to load my previous save.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I havnt played it... only watched my bro for awhile but here is why I am disappointed:

First of all the flashlight. I think the effect looks pretty crappy. Halo was better. I also think it could be a little bigger. I know the idea is to only see a part of the screen in the dark areas to get you scared but it is seriously less than a 25% of the monitor. Also its retarded that you cant hold a flashlight in one hand and gun in the other. I know this defeats the purpose of switching but does this dude have an arm missing?

The enviornments arent interactive. Only where they have a puzzle set up for you. Halflife came out years ago and the enviornments where very interactive. You could shoot all the fending machines and stuff would fall out. that is just cool. I mean this is Doom3 and when you shoot a mirror or TV it doesnt explode?

Other little things I cant remember that add up to me.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

JuddWack wrote:I havnt played it... only watched my bro for awhile but here is why I am disappointed:

First of all the flashlight. I think the effect looks pretty crappy. Halo was better. I also think it could be a little bigger. I know the idea is to only see a part of the screen in the dark areas to get you scared but it is seriously less than a 25% of the monitor. Also its retarded that you cant hold a flashlight in one hand and gun in the other. I know this defeats the purpose of switching but does this dude have an arm missing?

The enviornments arent interactive. Only where they have a puzzle set up for you. Halflife came out years ago and the enviornments where very interactive. You could shoot all the fending machines and stuff would fall out. that is just cool. I mean this is Doom3 and when you shoot a mirror or TV it doesnt explode?

Other little things I cant remember that add up to me.

1. I was very impressed with the flashlight and other lighting effects. You must have been playing at 300x200. The use of the flashlight is to locate the enemies, then do your best to bait them into the light. (And shoot them)

2. There are a lot of things able to interact with (Misc. objects like coke cans, helmets, boxes, tables, etc).

3. I didn't know mirrors were expected to be combustable.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

JuddWack wrote:First of all the flashlight. I think the effect looks pretty crappy. Halo was better. I also think it could be a little bigger. I know the idea is to only see a part of the screen in the dark areas to get you scared but it is seriously less than a 25% of the monitor. Also its retarded that you cant hold a flashlight in one hand and gun in the other. I know this defeats the purpose of switching but does this dude have an arm missing?
First off, you pretty much need two hands to operate the weapons used in Doom 3, except the pistol. You can't put down the flashlight to pump the shotty, for example. And I'm sure some of those other weapons require two hands for them not to go flying out of your hands when you use them.
JuddWack wrote:The enviornments arent interactive. Only where they have a puzzle set up for you. Halflife came out years ago and the enviornments where very interactive. You could shoot all the fending machines and stuff would fall out. that is just cool. I mean this is Doom3 and when you shoot a mirror or TV it doesnt explode?
Perhaps future unbreakable mirrors and glass on the TV sets?
It's thinking...
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Well I should have specified but I was speaking specificly about a pistol in one hand and flashlight in the other.

Also I think pretty much every object should be interactive... fire extinguishers, tv's, glass and mirrors, etc.

Also the AI doesnt seem very inteligent.

... but then again I havnt played yet except months ago in a crowd of people on XBox and E3. Im just gonna wait till my bro is done.

By the way I didnt read this whole thread so I dunno if anyone mentioned it but is there any extra content like making of videos or map making software?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

JuddWack wrote:Well I should have specified but I was speaking specificly about a pistol in one hand and flashlight in the other.

Also I think pretty much every object should be interactive... fire extinguishers, tv's, glass and mirrors, etc.

Also the AI doesnt seem very inteligent.

... but then again I havnt played yet except months ago in a crowd of people on XBox and E3. Im just gonna wait till my bro is done.

By the way I didnt read this whole thread so I dunno if anyone mentioned it but is there any extra content like making of videos or map making software?
SDK and map making is included.
It's thinking...