DC Generator

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by 404NotFound »

crt0 wrote:Heh... good assembly programmers deserve the most respect of all... assembly language is insane (well, for some ISAs it is, I'm really only comfortable with MIPS, which is easy :)), and anyone who can code it well, more power to them, lunatics -_-
Yeah anyways....

I tried to learn Ti-83 ASM once, and got to how to add variables... I kinda said "screw this"

It's C++ for me :)

(or java.. has the job market calls for it, but I really like the power of C++)
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Don't be asking for warez, jessman.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

jeez.......i didn't say it wasn't going to BE good........i just said that presently, it's not very good to use. i know i complain a lot and i'm sorry for causing you all so much trouble. i posted that a while ago and i wanna say i'm sorry for whining. just please don't flame me and i won't have a reason to complain!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
KrazieTai
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KrazieTai »

crt0 wrote:It's definitely a pain in the ass and a downer to work on something that you want to do, purely for fun and for the eventual enjoyment of others, and then have it shat on by ignorant pre-pubescent internet geeks ad nauseam. -_-
I know its a downer and all but DCgen is worst than you gen emu for DC.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

And you know this... how?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

BlackAura wrote:And you know this... how?
Cless likes to pretend he knows more than he does.
KrazieTai
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KrazieTai »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
BlackAura wrote:And you know this... how?
Cless likes to pretend he knows more than he does.
? I like to think I know because he said it ran better. I kinda believe crt0. I mean arent we supposed to trust emu authors?
FlashPV
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FlashPV »

Don't forget that this topic is about Dc Gen and the PC version has been updated recently :wink:
KrazieTai
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KrazieTai »

FlashPV wrote:Don't forget that this topic is about Dc Gen and the PC version has been updated recently :wink:
Mite I ask what improvements where made to the recent pc release?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

From the v0.35 changes log:

Code: Select all

0.35     [CORE]    Support for Genecyst patch files / Game Genie
         [CORE]    Support for AVI uncompressed and MJPEG output
         [68000]   Re-added busy wait removal that got lost
         [SOUND]   Added configurable single-pole low-pass filter
         [CORE]    Added autoconf/automake version checks
         [VDP]     Fix FIFO busy flag (Nicholas Van Veen)
         [SOUND]   Various further endian improvements from Bastien Nocera
                   and andi@fischlustig.de (Debian)
         [SOUND]   Various BSD compatibility improvements from
                   Alistair Crooks and Michael Core (NetBSD)
         [UI]      SDL Joystick support from Matthew N. Dodd (FreeBSD)
         [68000]   Do pre-decrement with two reads (Steve Snake)
         [68000]   Make TAS not write (Steve Snake) fixes Gargoyles, Ex Mutant
         [68000]   Re-write ABCD,etc based on info from Bart Trzynadlowski
         [68000]   Implement missing BTST op-code (fixes NHL Hockey 94)
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MetaFox wrote:I don't see you coding a Genesis emulator, so shut the hell up.

I'm sick and tired of you little pricks that think that the whole world owes you everything.

You wonder why DCGen isn't getting many updates anymore - it's because I'm sick of catering to you whiners who just complain when a new release is out.

This version is worst than the last - It's still slow - It has no sound - It's buggy as hell - It freezes. Waawaawaa.

Get it in your mind that emulators are beta software created for fun for free by coders using thier spare time. No one owes you anything. Free software is a priveledge, not a right.

atani created a magnifecent piece of software. If that smash pack rip wasn't around he'd be getting more respect for DCGen.

Smash Pack was made by Sega - with first hand knowledge of the Genesis - using official devkits and official hardware.

Generator was reverse engineered for the PC - then ported to KOS by atani. With no help from Sega, no official devkits, no official hardware.

He ported it for fun, then decided to grace us all with a release. He could have kept it for himself, he didn't owe us anything, but he chose to release it for everyone to enjoy. Show some respect.
Thank you MetaFox for making a stand. If people say to not expect the best that's fine, but to say something isn't worth a CD-R, it pisses me off. What's a CD-R? 15 cents? Sometimes free if you get good deals. To say that an emulator isn't worth pocket change.... well.. it pisses me off.
It's thinking...
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Cless... you must have low self-value to keep returning to a place youre not wanted....
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

but to say something isn't worth a CD-R, it pisses me off. What's a CD-R? 15 cents? Sometimes free if you get good deals. To say that an emulator isn't worth pocket change.... well.. it pisses me off.
:thumbsup:
fxchip60
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by fxchip60 »

Hi my name is John. I'm new to this fourm so odds are i'm going to say something and someone is going to hammer me for it but here it goes....

Financally the dreamcast is a dead system with no commercial developers which is a sad fact. This makes all those who choose to take their own free time and energy to create software for all of us DC owners to enjoy all the more precious. People of all coding skill levels should be praised in my own personal opinion. I eagerly await your software as I still enjoy my Dreamcast
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Hey thanks for the info FlashPV. :)

It's been so long since I've checked PC emulation news I didn't even know.

Maybe I'll pump out a little update release and put the changes into the XMas release as the new build is broken while I try to update the sources to KOS CVS.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

People of all coding skill levels should be praised in my own personal opinion. I eagerly await your software as I still enjoy my Dreamcast
i agree, as long as the software being released actually works :mrgreen:
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

Reading this topic just confirms most of the reasons why I stopped working on emulation things, at least in the public arena... I have done some work on various emus including a complete set of patches for Generator to enable SegaCD capabilities... And most of these things would also port nicely over to the DC.

If you want to get decent speed on the DC with decent compatibility you need to use ASM. I was working on converting over some of the pieces of DCGen over to ASM but lost all interest in the project after a few jerks in the "scene" pissed me off so much to push me over the edge of not wanting to *EVER* release anything again. Yes I know that it may sound a bit harse or childish but it makes plenty of sense if you have been doing emulation things for quite some time (over 5 years now) and watched the entire "scene" mature from the first days of MAME with only a few games working all the way to having a full SegaCD/MegaCD emulator on the PC (and many other things in between)... Its really sad to see where the "scene" has taken itself now... Most people are not into the "scene" for the preservation of older games and memories... Everyone wants to play GC/PS2 on their PC and nothing else...

I will admit that I have a rather large emulation collection (read as ROMs, etc) for many systems but these are/were mostly for development and some for pure memory sake. I remember going into many arcades and playing pac man/defender/etc when they were still "new"...

JoeyStyles66:
>>i agree, as long as the software being released actually works
DCGen was not promised to do anything at all. It is a miracle that the damn thing worked at all... I ported that damn thing in about a week of about 1 hr a day or so of coding time... I even sat on the release of it for a week deciding if I even wanted to release what I had working... Given, it could have gone through some more polish before release (ie: make the speed better, like it was in 0.35b or whatever the last one I released).. But given that the entire thing was thrown together in a semi-hurry I think it was an overall success. It proved the point that someone with enough knowledge and coding ability could port a PC genesis emu over to the DC and make it work...

Hopefully either MetaFox or BlackAura releases something really kick ass so I can burn it to a CD and play it some :)

Atani
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Hopefully either MetaFox or BlackAura releases something really kick ass so I can burn it to a CD and play it some
That'd be nice. I wouldn't hold your breath for mine though - you'd turn blue long before I can release anything!
It proved the point that someone with enough knowledge and coding ability could port a PC genesis emu over to the DC and make it work...
(Looks at port of Genesis Plus) Yeah, that's about right. It's taken be about six hours over three days, give or take, and it works. I just need to work out some of the bugs in the rendering code, which cause any scrolling games to crash, and then start making it a bit prettier. Or faster, maybe, but I'm not sure if I'm good enough to do that yet. Maybe this is an oppurtunity to get good.

I'm actually wondering if I should release anything until it works fairly well. Having seen the kind of crap directed at DreamSnes, and especially DCGenerator...
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

BlackAura wrote:(Looks at port of Genesis Plus) Yeah, that's about right. It's taken be about six hours over three days, give or take, and it works. I just need to work out some of the bugs in the rendering code, which cause any scrolling games to crash, and then start making it a bit prettier. Or faster, maybe, but I'm not sure if I'm good enough to do that yet. Maybe this is an oppurtunity to get good.
Great, glad that things are going semi-smoothly with the port.. For fixing the scrolling games, check that the VDP is properly handling bounds checking and also endianess...
BlackAura wrote:I'm actually wondering if I should release anything until it works fairly well. Having seen the kind of crap directed at DreamSnes, and especially DCGenerator...
If I was to do DCGen again, I would not have released it. At least not until some more polish had been done... But then again, DCGen was thrown together in a bit of a hurry and it was mostly a proof of concept that, yes it can be done...

Atani
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

ATani wrote: If I was to do DCGen again, I would not have released it. At least not until some more polish had been done... But then again, DCGen was thrown together in a bit of a hurry and it was mostly a proof of concept that, yes it can be done...

Atani
I thought you made a release earlier than you would have liked because the private beta (well, alpha I guess) you had been working on got leaked to hell?