Want to dual boot Linux

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackAura »

All the distros I've used have been able to access NTFS partitions, except WinXP partitions. And anything based on the late 2.4 series kernels should have full read/write access to NTFS partitions anyway, unless somebody removed it.
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WiseMonkey »

full ntfs read write? since when? ntfs support in linux is still in the early stages. your best bet for a media partition would be fat32, linux has supported read/write to fat forgod knows how long and youre almost gauranteed not to have a prob. next thing you should stay clear of redhat. its is a shitty distro, and the people who run the company not to mention thier coders are total assholes. they make extreme changes to libs that break loads of proggies and dont tell anyoneuntil its too late, then they leave it up to everyone elseto make workarounds. whats worse is now redhat is patenting source. they are total asswipes. next thing mandrake is a meh distro. i mean its great when youre new but it can be pretty limiting in the long run. your best bet is to go with SuSE(if you dont mind being tied to kde), or Slackware. Debian is also good but its a real bitch to install if you dont know what youre doing and it takes forever for a stable release to come out ut its still great, if only for the apt-get utility. now if you want an uber optimised system go for gentoo, you cant get any better than that, you build the entir thing from source, but its kinda a toital manual installation so you might be total scared off by that. oh and when you partition your linux drive make sure you make 1 100 mb ext2 partition and mount that to /boot. ane for your swap partition, you dont have togo too big unless your limited on ram although i myself always use a swap double the size of my physical ram(yeah yeah i know what youre gonna say, im just too used to old requirements), um i think thats all i have to say
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

WiseMonkey wrote:Debian is also good but its a real bitch to install if you dont know what youre doing and it takes forever for a stable release to come out ut its still great, if only for the apt-get utility.
This is why I love Xandros. It's debian-based, has apt-get, and is the easiest distro to install.
It's thinking...