Mega Man 9 Announced

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Mega Man 9 Announced

Post by pixel »

Nintendo Power reports that Mega Man 9 will be released via WiiWare.
http://wiinintendo.net/2008/06/26/megam ... s-wiiware/

List of Robot Masters:
- Magma Man
- Galaxy Man
- Jewel Man
- Concrete Man
- Hornet Man
- Plug Man
- Tornado Man
- Splash Woman
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mega Man 9 Announced

Post by AgentGreen »

Awesome!

But I gotta say, it's kinda weird trying to think of an 8-bit game as being an immediate sequel to a PS1 game...
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

More information from an Kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/5019986/old-school-me ... to-wiiware

EDIT: This description sucks. Plus, I need to make fun of Nintendo Power, the biggest propaganda machine outside of China.
Mega Man 9 Screenshot
Mega Man 9 Screenshot
8.PNG (315.13 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

splash woman? really?

really?

oh well, it should be worth a buy.
It's thinking...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Mega Man 8 was my favorite MM game out of all the MM series'. I'm probably alone on this, but I wish it were following that art style (minus the girly voice) rather than trying to look 8-bit.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

AgentGreen wrote:Awesome!

But I gotta say, it's kinda weird trying to think of an 8-bit game as being an immediate sequel to a PS1 game...
Actually, it sort of makes sense if you count Rockman & Forte and figure that they're going for a palindromic console progression: NES -> SNES -> PS1 -> SNES -> NES

:lol:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

even better news, this is now coming to all platforms.

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2008/07/confi ... ing_to.php
*The Cadillac of signatures*
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Luriden wrote:Mega Man 8 was my favorite MM game out of all the MM series'. I'm probably alone on this, but I wish it were following that art style (minus the girly voice) rather than trying to look 8-bit.
Nah, I'll second that thought. I liked the style of the later Megaman games graphically and this just seems like Capcom's way of playing off people's nostalgia to make some money or being quite lazy... maybe I'm wrong. Just seems odd.

- Fuzmeister
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

S. Thompson wrote:I liked the style of the later Megaman games graphically and this just seems like Capcom's way of playing off people's nostalgia to make some money or being quite lazy... maybe I'm wrong. Just seems odd.
The entire Virtual Console exists only to play off our nostalgia, the only difference is that it is old content they don't have to create. The effort by Capcom here isn't just to make a quick buck, it's to return to old-school gaming with brand new content. Sure, development costs are low, but it certainly isn't laziness. Laziness is when Capcom releases yet another Megaman Battle Network or Star Force game with the exact same sprites, environments, and stories. Making a quick buck is releasing different versions of that same game Pokemon-style only with no major content difference between them. Compared to those horrible trends Capcom are currently doing, going old-school is actually a much better way to go.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

No, this is definitely another way to make a quick buck. Nostalgia doesn't justify shitty graphics and limited gameplay on "brand new content". I rather see a 2D "classic" style game with proper graphics and a better engine.

But still I'm kinda looking forward to it. DAMN YOU CAPCOM
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I think it's awesome. I never did like the update MegaMan styles, with the exception of the MegaMan X series on SNES.
It's thinking...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I wonder if this is a real NES game running on an emulator ...? :o

Edit: I wish SEGA would do that with Sonic 4 and Streets of Rage 4.
Insane homebrew collector.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Christuserloeser wrote:Edit: I wish SEGA would do that with Sonic 4 and Streets of Rage 4.
I really wish Sega would do that with Sonic. But, despite crappy reception of...pretty much every Sonic game in quite a while, they still seem determined to ruin the franchise as much as possible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Unleashed
Eggman's ray also causes an unexpected transformation to Sonic's state, and Sonic's progress will be made even more difficult when the ray and the transformed Emeralds have the unforeseen side-effect of transforming him into a werehog - a beast form with greater strength and abilities - at night.
:x
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Hmm, I'd really like Megaman 9 to be hi-res 2D, that would be really nice, but still, for a franchise to go back to its 8-bit roots is pretty uncommon as well.

I agree with Christloseruser. Sonic 4 running as a Genesis game through an emulator using the old S3&K engine would be amazing. Better than this modern day Sonic shite.

EDIT: Wasnt Rockman & Forte/Megaman & Bass Megaman 9?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Eviltaco64X wrote:Hmm, I'd really like Megaman 9 to be hi-res 2D, that would be really nice, but still, for a franchise to go back to its 8-bit roots is pretty uncommon as well.

I agree with Christloseruser. Sonic 4 running as a Genesis game through an emulator using the old S3&K engine would be amazing. Better than this modern day Sonic shite.

It's not technically Megaman 9. Its codename was ROCK8.5.
It's thinking...
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

BoneyCork wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Unleashed

Eggman's ray also causes an unexpected transformation to Sonic's state, and Sonic's progress will be made even more difficult when the ray and the transformed Emeralds have the unforeseen side-effect of transforming him into a werehog - a beast form with greater strength and abilities - at night.

:x
I'll up the ante Boney …

Sonic And The Black Knight Isn't A Bad Dream
SEGA wrote: SEGA ANNOUNCES SONIC AND THE BLACK KNIGHT

A new addition to the Storybook Series of Sonic Titles

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (July 21, 2008) –SEGA of Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced Sonic™ and the Black Knight, an all-new Wii-exclusive adventure. Part of the storybook series of games that began with Sonic and the Secret Rings, this new title brings Sonic into the world of Arthurian legend and offers the worlds most infamous blue hedgehog the chance to become a knight. Using the unique Wii control system, this exciting game will take advantage of both the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk to offer an interactive experience that any Sonic fans will love.

Created by Sonic Team in Japan, this innovative game takes Sonic into a medieval world and arms him with a sword to aid in his effort to save the day. Sonic and the Black Knight will provide Sonic fans with an irresistible cast of characters and teach them all what it takes to be a true hero and the ultimate knight. With a series of missions taking place in stunning Arthurian-inspired locations, Sonic and the Black Knight promises to offer a fast-paced adventure that gamers of all ages will enjoy.

“After the success of Sonic and the Secret Rings we’re delighted to announce a second title in the Storybook Series,” said Gary Knight, European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe, “Following Sonic on his way to knighthood will excite players of all ages.”

Sonic and the Black Knight, exclusively for the Wii, will be out in Spring 2009.
They just took a shit all over my childhood.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Eviltaco64X wrote:Hmm, I'd really like Megaman 9 to be hi-res 2D, that would be really nice, but still, for a franchise to go back to its 8-bit roots is pretty uncommon as well.

Not just that... Imagine if they put even half the time and budget they put into the newer 3D titles into the old school engine. We could have a game like S3&K only 10 times longer or something. It'd be awesome.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Please Sega, just stop. Give the Sonic franchise to someone else. Anything to stop this madness.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Sonic 3D Blast: Flicky's Island, Sonic R, etc. pp. - They did it since day one. :?

Regarding old-school 2D vs. modern 3D: I do think that creating a 3D game takes a lot of expertise; but to do a good 2D game is a hell of a lot of work too. In addition I think that working on a NES game instead of something for a more modern platform provides you with extremely limited options of what's technically possible, so you'd constantly have to check what elements of your initial concept or vision you could squeeze into it - and how. So you keep changing, keep checking and keep changing, until at some point you got a really interesting little game.

When they switched from generic 2D platformers to generic 3D action games with PlayStation and Saturn, my impression was that the amount of work that went into those games was maybe 1/10th of what would have gone into the most generic platformer I could have possibly imagined. Attention to detail in these games was next to none. They felt rushed and cheap without any artistic vision at all. The 3D revolution began with games you could barely play at all - let alone look at.

Now, that the games are getting better and the 3D (r)evolution just received its HD update, and everyone is starting to get bored by the same generic 3D action games again, a 2D platformer for NES seems like a true revolution (again).

If musicians still play guitars in rock bands, why should developers not be using NES and Genesis hardware limitations for their games ?
Insane homebrew collector.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

pixel wrote: List of Robot Masters:
. . .
- Splash Woman
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews