Dreamcast Antenna Cable - PAL vs NTSC

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
ar34z
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Antenna Cable - PAL vs NTSC

Post by ar34z »

Hi,

MY Dreamcast had only a scart cable supplied with it when i bought it second hand. It always worked perfectly, but when connecting it to a Panasonic LCD tv, the screen 'rolls'. I don't really know how to explain it, but in the middle there's a black bar. In the lower half it shows actually the top half and vice versa.

Anyway, I was thinking of buying a new cable in Antenna format. This works well for a friend who owns a dreamcast, but as he is moving out, i'm not in the position to try it out.
I've been looking for such a cable on e-bat, but all I can find are stores that are located in US.

Now my main question is: do i need a specific PAL version of that cable, or can I use any cable? An alternative would be an s-video cable, or just the yellow tulp, but I'm afraid it works the same as with scart.
Additionally, could someone point me to an online shop where I can buy those cable and that's located a bit nearer than US?

Thanks in advance

Below are the 2 options:
antenna cable

video
ar34z
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Dreamcast Antenna Cable - PAL vs NTSC

Post by ar34z »

Oh, after inspecting that antenna cable of my friend, it had the word 'PAL' on it, so I assume it does make a difference...

Could anyone point me to an online shop?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Before you go and by another cable, in particular one that will give you an inferior image, you should try it on all of the available SCART sockets on your television--typically you will find that only one of them supports RGB video, which the Dreamcast seems to output exclusively when using a SCART lead (at least, I've never been able to extract a proper Composite signal from it).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I don't know much about SCART, but you really should avoid the antenna/RF cable. They output a horrible image. At least try to find an S-video (nice looking) or composite cable (decent) for this television.
It's thinking...
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

And if your LCD has support for it, the VGA adaptor should give you the absolute best picture (480p), and is compatible with almost every Dreamcast game released.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

...And if your DC game isn't VGA compatible, you can buy DC-X, CodeBreaker, Xploder (and probably an Action Reply (which you can download the demo of for free in the DC F.A.Q thread) or GameShark) which can force non-VGA games into playing with a VGA cable.