Dreamcast Magazine

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Dobo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Magazine

Post by Dobo »

Hi, I remember some time ago, could be years now, I paid a pre-order for a dreamcast mag someone on the forum was producing himself. Never got it though, or a refund either, anyone know what happened bout this? Was it a complete scam, cause I seem to remember the guy being pretty awkward in his reaction to not getting the mag sent out to all the people who paid? Just curious anyway, cheers.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dreamcast Magazine

Post by az_bont »

The magazine was never produced and distributed, and refunds should have been given to everyone who paid. An explanation for this can be found in the following thread: An open apology and admission of guilt.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

It wasn't exactly a scam, it just never got finished.

Here is some more info: http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/communit ... m.php?f=26

Btw: The CD-ROM that was going to be included with the magazine has been released as a free download: http://dcevolution.netfirms.com/downloa ... andman.rar
Insane homebrew collector.
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

Christuserloeser wrote:It wasn't exactly a scam
knuckles-chaotix has a different story :lol:
Dobo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Dobo »

Damn... Is Metafox still a regular round here? Oh well it was pretty clear he'd been lying from early on, elaborate to make fake invoices & keep it going for such a long time though, heh. Ah well, a few dollars is no loss, I was just looking forward to a nice independent DC mag, it's a shame, if anything I feel sorry for the guy, but atleast he came clean in the end, he sounds like the sorta guy that would have been worrying himself over it for months.
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

Dobo wrote:Damn... Is Metafox still a regular round here? Oh well it was pretty clear he'd been lying from early on, elaborate to make fake invoices & keep it going for such a long time though, heh. Ah well, a few dollars is no loss, I was just looking forward to a nice independent DC mag, it's a shame, if anything I feel sorry for the guy, but atleast he came clean in the end, he sounds like the sorta guy that would have been worrying himself over it for months.
He disappeared from the net 2 years ago! :D
Dobo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Dobo »

JKKDARK wrote:
Dobo wrote:Damn... Is Metafox still a regular round here? Oh well it was pretty clear he'd been lying from early on, elaborate to make fake invoices & keep it going for such a long time though, heh. Ah well, a few dollars is no loss, I was just looking forward to a nice independent DC mag, it's a shame, if anything I feel sorry for the guy, but atleast he came clean in the end, he sounds like the sorta guy that would have been worrying himself over it for months.
And the legend of dream on mag lives on! :lol:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

JKKDARK wrote:
He posted less than a week ago.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=96602
It's thinking...
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

|darc| wrote:
JKKDARK wrote:
He posted less than a week ago.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=96602
Oh great :D
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Dobo wrote:Hi, I remember some time ago, could be years now, I paid a pre-order for a dreamcast mag someone on the forum was producing himself. Never got it though, or a refund either, anyone know what happened bout this? Was it a complete scam, cause I seem to remember the guy being pretty awkward in his reaction to not getting the mag sent out to all the people who paid? Just curious anyway, cheers.
My life was in a shambles at the time, and I did a lot of things that I regret. I felt life was collapsing under me, as I myself was depressed due to personal issues and that I still hadn't gotten over the death of my father in 2000, my grandfather had developed Alzheimer's, and I was living with him full-time without working anywhere, my grandmother had relapsed into her bipolar disease due to my grandfather's sickness, and my uncles were accusing me of stealing money from my grandparents.

To top it off, earlier, a shard of glass fell into my hand and split my tendons. My debt was piling up and I had no way to pay it, so I used the preorder money to pay the bills. I should have been upfront and honest about it, but I panicked and lied about the magazines getting lost in the mail. My dad had always told me that a liar always gets caught up with, as they can never keep lies straight and end up telling more lies to keep up with the original lies until they get caught in a downward spiral that eventually consumes them. That's absolutely what happened to me. I hurt a lot of people in this community that I cared about with my lies, and I regret every minute of it.

I took two years off to get my real life sorted out. I have just come back to try to repair some of my broken friendships in the community.

I sent a refund to everyone, I'm truly sorry that you didn't get yours. I'm going to send you a private message so that you can get your refund.
Dobo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Dobo »

Don't worry about it I know things can really mount on top of you in life, sometimes seems like its never ending, but good to hear you got back on your feet. I don't mind too much about the refund though, it's only a few dollars from a couple years back, no need to go out of your way to do it. Anyway, I'd just wondered if you actually got the magazine done in the end because I'd looked forward to it at the time, I'm well into graphic design and the Dreamcast too so at some point I'd hoped to produce a print magazine of my own, never did quite get around to it though.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Dobo wrote:Don't worry about it I know things can really mount on top of you in life, sometimes seems like its never ending, but good to hear you got back on your feet.
Thanks for your kind words and understanding, it means a lot to me. I'm still not financially stable, but thankfully I'm much more emotionally stable than I have been in years.
Dobo wrote:Anyway, I'd just wondered if you actually got the magazine done in the end because I'd looked forward to it at the time, I'm well into graphic design and the Dreamcast too so at some point I'd hoped to produce a print magazine of my own, never did quite get around to it though.
I never did get it released, but I would definitely like to be able to get it out at some point, when my income allows me to do so.
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

MetaFox, you are still active in Dreamcast forums? Didn't know that. :mrgreen:

Nice to see you. :D
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Maturion wrote:MetaFox, you are still active in Dreamcast forums? Didn't know that. :mrgreen:

Nice to see you. :D
I just came back a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the warm re-welcome. :)
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

I knew metafox was a over respected over glorified memeber of this forum from way back. He's never done anything exceptional and doesnt deserve any respect what so ever.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

RMD wrote:I knew metafox was a over respected over glorified memeber of this forum from way back. He's never done anything exceptional and doesnt deserve any respect what so ever.
RMD, this is to you and all the others who mercilessly bashed MetaFox during the last couple years:
Darksaviour69 wrote:He has paid many times out of his own pocket for contest like the 3 DreamOn contest and has organized a few DreamCon conventions (which cost money), Hes been work in the scene for 5+ years and has worked with and is trusted by 90% of the scene major players
Xylene wrote:I remember when you shipped me that coders cable (WHICH HE GAVE ME FOR FREE, KTHX PEOPLE)
goatdan wrote:I think that he has been an asset to the Dreamcast community. GOAT Store Publishing wouldn't have published Inhabitants, Maqiupai, GOAT Games (soon!) or about four other projects without his involvement. ANd he never asked us for anything in return. I've relied on him to answer questions and know things that are going on, and he has done so for me every time without fail. He has tirelessly supported the Dreamcast, and if you look at things that he spent his own money on helping to do without any chance of getting repaid like the various DreamCons, you know that he is very serious about doing whatever he can to help the Dreamcast. From having met him in person and having dealt with him for the last two or three years, I am certain that this was a one-time ordeal that will not be repeated.
MetaFox wrote:I did at least one of those petitions myself. I set up the page on Dreamcast-Scene. I also took all of the petitions that were still active with me to two out of three DreamCons. I've spent many long hours of my free time on these petitions as well
curt_grymala wrote:I also still believe that MetaFox is a good guy, and that he has contributed quite a bit to the community. As Dan mentioned, MetaFox has contributed a great deal of his own money to community causes. He paid for all of our tables at the ECGX DreamCon last year. He paid for all of our tables at the MagFest last year. He paid his own way to the Midwest Gaming Classic (airfare and all) just to exhibit another DreamCon in the midwest, and attempt to bring new blood into the community. He funded quite a bit of the materials for the various DreamCons, including t-shirts for the first DreamCon, banners for all sites represented at the DreamCons, and much more.

In addition to financial contributions, he has given us quite a bit of nice code, in the form of games, emulators and other various tidbits. He has organized and executed three DreamOn competitions that have brought some great new games into the community.
Darksaviour69 wrote:So currently meta has refunded everyone (I have been offered my $13 back, but i'm not sure i going to take it)
jstookey wrote:I had placed an order for the magazine, and I was very suprised to get a PayPal refund this weekend.
goatdan wrote:I can guarantee he wouldn't get jail time for this. Since he has repaid the money, (unless it all bounces and then he disappears, which I don't forsee happening), the law wouldn't even see this as a crime.
DcSteve wrote:He scraped together money that could have been used for more important things, just to get to Wisconsin from NY for the convention. When i met him at DreamCon, he had done everything he could to insure that people understood the mechanics of the dreamcast scene. There is nothing to be mad about because it wasnt THAT MUCH money that people spent on this plus it was going to a better cause then charity (friendship). Also, People are beginning to get the money refunded or possibly still a chance of getting the mag. Dreamcon would not have been possible without Metafox.
It's very sad to see that Meta deceived so many people with that magazine, but seeing people like you (and even people who worked with him in some projects) using this as an excuse to shit all over the contributions he has done to the community is fucking disgusting and makes me angry.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

I have always hated him. I think he's over rated and tons more people have done things for the comunity who deserve more respect and dont get it. Its not that he's not tired its just he's not that talented and an asshole. If he didnt want the credit he's gotten and was humble i'd have a lot more sympathy.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Well, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

RMD wrote:he's not that talented and an asshole. If he didnt want the credit he's gotten and was humble i'd have a lot more sympathy.
I agree with you. When I read my past posts, I'm ashamed at how bitter, cynical, and truthfully: egotistical I was.

When my father passed away in 2000, I latched onto the Dreamcast scene and put all of my being into it, even shirking my real life responsibilities. It was very unhealthy, and put a strain on me emotionally and physically. I took myself way too seriously, and I ended up in a downward spiral because of it.

My mom always says that things happen for a reason, and the Dream On situation served as a real wake up call, a slap in the face to bring me back to reality, and a realization that I needed professional help to deal with my depression and anxiety.

I want to truly apologize for how I acted. Life serves as a way to learn from one's past mistakes, and I will never repeat those mistakes again.
orochi uali
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by orochi uali »

Nice to see you back!

:D