My keynote predictions

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My keynote predictions

Post by SuperMegatron »

Lets see if I get any right.

1. Apple ITV is a gaming machine
Apple will sell games via itunes for 9.99.

2. Apple announces its entering the Consumer electronics business. TV's,home theaters, and dvd players

3.wifi ipods with a pda features built in.

4. $499 mac mini, 599 mini will get a good video card

5. New laptop line maybe under the powerbook or ibook name

6.Tiger licensing when lepard comes out

7.Jobs announce new retailers who will be selling mac (walmart maybe???)

8. 2 buttons on laptops now
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

That was really, really weak.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: My keynote predictions

Post by MulletMan13 »

All right, this is still on the first page (sad.).

Anyways I'm throwing out an ultraportable... just like everyone else is. I honestly have no idea what else they will launch... an update to the Mac Pro is imminent, and probably to ACDs too.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

how much of a market is out there for a ultra portable ? i've read speculations about all flash drives, 12 in. screen ect. then estimated price points of about $1500. maybe it's just me, but i would not buy something that has less memory and a smaller screen than a macbook but cost more.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

SuperMegatron wrote:6.Tiger licensing when lepard comes out
What the fuck does that mean?
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

bizzle wrote:
That was from a year ago. I predicted apple would sell Tiger to pc manufacturers while keeping leopard for themselves.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

New Predictions

1. Apple will launch a myspace like site with google
2. Movie rentals, with a new Apple tv
3.New addition to iMac line and iMac price drop
4. Price cut on iPhone
5. New video cards for all laptops
6. Just to go against the rumor sites a bigger macbook
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

SuperMegatron wrote:
bizzle wrote:
That was from a year ago. I predicted apple would sell Tiger to pc manufacturers while keeping leopard for themselves.
Regardless when it's from, it makes no god damn sense.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

bizzle wrote:
SuperMegatron wrote:
bizzle wrote:
Regardless when it's from, it makes no god damn sense.
Its, not supposed to. I am mocking sites like macrumors.com that make crazy predictions right before the keynote.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

SuperMegatron wrote:New Predictions

1. Apple will launch a myspace like site with google
2. Movie rentals, with a new Apple tv
3.New addition to iMac line and iMac price drop
4. Price cut on iPhone
5. New video cards for all laptops
6. Just to go against the rumor sites a bigger macbook

2 i think this will happen also.
3 they were just dropped in price in august. i don't think it will happen again so soon. in fact i don't think anything will happen with the imac line at macworld.
4. i hope so. it is still overpriced.
6. that's what i really want. i like the macbook, it would satisfy my portable needs, the screen is just too small on it though. i do think they will introduce led screens for them though.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

New MacBook Air

No optical drive, includes software to wirelessly "borrow" a drive from a desktop PC or Mac, has three ports: headphone jack, one USB port, miniDVI port. 13.3 LED-based screen, backlit keyboard, webcam/mic, 3 pounds, .17 inches at its smallest and .76 inches at its thickest. Fits in a folder, world's thinnest laptop. Randy Newman appears, says Apple is "tight ass," and performs.

13 inch 1.6GHz C2D, 2GB memory, 80GB Hard Drive, 802.11n/BlueTooth2.1+EDR $1799
13 inch 1.8GHz C2D, 2GB memory, 64GB solid state drive, 802.11n/BlueTooth2.1+EDR $3098

Apple TV update

iTunes music store rentals, $2.99 for old titles, $3.99 for new release, $1 extra for HD. Backed by movies from Fox, Warner Brothers, Disney, Paramount, Universal, Sony Pictures, Touchstone, Miramax, MGM, Lionsgate, and New Line Cinema. Purchase/rent music/movies/etc. stuff directly from the AppleTV, no computer required. AppleTV price drop to $229. Existing users get the new features via software update for free. Movie rentals available for 30 days, expire within 24 hours of starting the film. Can watch films on Macs, PCs, iPods, iPhones, and AppleTVs.

iPhone/iPod Touch update

iPhone still the same price, 4 million iphones sold/20% smartphone marketshare, now includes with free software update new features such as Google Maps position locating through cell networks/wifi networks and better maps UI, mass SMS, webclip, chapters/subtitles/lyrics in movies/music, SDK still on track for February, icons rearrangeable, now able to create more pages of icons

iPod touch now gets the additional features of iPhone, all iTouches are now shipping with the new features, or you can purchase the software upgrade for $20 from iTunes (VERY LAME)

Time Capsule

AirPort Extreme Base Station wireless router with HDD built in for use with Time Machine, $299 for 500gb, $499 for 1tb.
It's thinking...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Your prices for Time Capsule are wrong. It's $299 for 500GB and $499 for 1TB.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

|darc| wrote:New MacBook Air

No optical drive, includes software to wirelessly "borrow" a drive from a desktop PC or Mac, has three ports: headphone jack, one USB port, miniDVI port. 13.3 LED-based screen, backlit keyboard, webcam/mic, 3 pounds, .17 inches at its smallest and .76 inches at its thickest. Fits in a folder, world's thinnest laptop. Randy Newman appears, says Apple is "tight ass," and performs.

13 inch 1.6GHz C2D, 2GB memory, 80GB Hard Drive, 802.11n/BlueTooth2.1+EDR $1799
13 inch 1.8GHz C2D, 2GB memory, 64GB solid state drive, 802.11n/BlueTooth2.1+EDR $3098

Apple TV update

iTunes music store rentals, $2.99 for old titles, $3.99 for new release, $1 extra for HD. Backed by movies from Fox, Warner Brothers, Disney, Paramount, Universal, Sony Pictures, Touchstone, Miramax, MGM, Lionsgate, and New Line Cinema. Purchase/rent music/movies/etc. stuff directly from the AppleTV, no computer required. AppleTV price drop to $229. Existing users get the new features via software update for free. Movie rentals available for 30 days, expire within 24 hours of starting the film. Can watch films on Macs, PCs, iPods, iPhones, and AppleTVs.

iPhone/iPod Touch update

iPhone still the same price, 4 million iphones sold/20% smartphone marketshare, now includes with free software update new features such as Google Maps position locating through cell networks/wifi networks and better maps UI, mass SMS, webclip, chapters/subtitles/lyrics in movies/music, SDK still on track for February, icons rearrangeable, now able to create more pages of icons

iPod touch now gets the additional features of iPhone, all iTouches are now shipping with the new features, or you can purchase the software upgrade for $20 from iTunes (VERY LAME)

Time Capsule

AirPort Extreme Base Station wireless router with HDD built in for use with Time Machine, $299 for 500gb, $499 for 1tb.
Damn you pretty much nailed it! Nice predictions!
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I'm not terribly excited about the MacBook Air. It seems like one is losing a lot for more money for the sake of portability. Okay, so it is thinner and lighter than a MacBook. However, how much in space and weight would I save if I have to lug around an ethernet adapter and an optical drive?

Can it boot from the optical drive? Yes, sometimes on the road, you need that install or diagnostic disc in an emergency.

Does it run bootcamp?

No firewire target mode? That has saved my bacon more than once.

Can it netboot? Probably not.

Switching to the LED display is probably nice, bit it is still too small.

How delicate is this thing going to be? I'd rather have durability and a bit more weight if you ask me.

For that kind of money, I'd just buy a MacBook Pro.

Maybe this had something to do with power consumption, but Intel integrated graphics again?? Okay, I can live with that in my MacBook since all I use are productivity apps and ones for research where the CPU is more important. For $1800 that the Air goes for, I would expect more than Intel graphics though.

Who is this targeted to? Seems like too much is sacrificed to really be a road warrior's notebook.

Edit: In thinking more about this, I guess this isn't a bad machine for someone that simply must be on the road 100% of the time and only needs things like Word or makes a lot of presentations in Powerpoint or Keynote. I guess a slip cover and a brief case are all that are needed if one has to lug something around all over. Shortcoming like no optical drive to run a diagnostic disc I guess can be over come by booting from an external USB device.

My point is I think one too many compromises were made given the cost (then again, sub-notebooks are expensive...), and clearly, I'm not the target for a machine like this.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

abydos1000 wrote:Maybe this had something to do with power consumption, but Intel integrated graphics again?? Okay, I can live with that in my MacBook since all I use are productivity apps and ones for research where the CPU is more important. For $1800 that the Air goes for, I would expect more than Intel graphics though.
Not power consumption. There's just not enough room in there for a discrete graphics system. There's not nearly enough room in a Macbook, which is much larger than the Air. Even if you could squish one in there somehow, there's the problem of keeping it cool. Intel graphics chips use far, far less power and produce far less heat than any discrete graphics chip. There isn't enough room in the thing for the airflow and cooling devices (fans, heatsinks, and so on) needed to keep the thing cool.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

BlackAura wrote:
abydos1000 wrote:Maybe this had something to do with power consumption, but Intel integrated graphics again?? Okay, I can live with that in my MacBook since all I use are productivity apps and ones for research where the CPU is more important. For $1800 that the Air goes for, I would expect more than Intel graphics though.
Not power consumption. There's just not enough room in there for a discrete graphics system. There's not nearly enough room in a Macbook, which is much larger than the Air. Even if you could squish one in there somehow, there's the problem of keeping it cool. Intel graphics chips use far, far less power and produce far less heat than any discrete graphics chip. There isn't enough room in the thing for the airflow and cooling devices (fans, heatsinks, and so on) needed to keep the thing cool.
12" PowerBook had a real graphics chip.. hardly. Though, it was a bit thicker than a Macbook.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

bizzle wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
12" PowerBook had a real graphics chip.. hardly. Though, it was a bit thicker than a Macbook.
It did have a real graphics chip... I don't know why you added in the 'hardly', but comparatively to when it was around it was decent. I remember it ran a lot of key games at the time just well, it was really quite pleasing.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

abydos1000 wrote:However, how much in space and weight would I save if I have to lug around an ethernet adapter and an optical drive?
Obviously if you have to lug around an ethernet adapter an optical drive, you wouldn't save any. But would you need those things? I have a MacBook, and the only time I use the optical drive is when I'm watching DVDs at my apartment, and the only time I use the ethernet is at my apartment because I cannot afford to buy a wireless router there.
abydos1000 wrote:Can it boot from the optical drive? Yes, sometimes on the road, you need that install or diagnostic disc in an emergency.
Why wouldn't it? (And yes, it does)
abydos1000 wrote:Does it run bootcamp?
Why wouldn't it? (And yes, it does)
abydos1000 wrote:No firewire target mode? That has saved my bacon more than once.
It doesn't have FireWire target mode (as it doesn't have FireWire), but it would be possible to create a similar function through NetBoot.
abydos1000 wrote:Can it netboot? Probably not.
"Probably not"? Why "Probably not"? It can NetBoot normally as well as NetBoot from a CD/DVD inserted in a desktop computer nearby.
abydos1000 wrote:Switching to the LED display is probably nice, bit it is still too small.
13.3" is not too small. The MacBook screen is perfect, in my opinion, for consumers.
abydos1000 wrote:How delicate is this thing going to be? I'd rather have durability and a bit more weight if you ask me.
I don't know why you'd want more weight, but I think they would make this durable as it's meant for portability.
It's thinking...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

MulletMan13 wrote:
bizzle wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
It did have a real graphics chip... I don't know why you added in the 'hardly', but comparatively to when it was around it was decent. I remember it ran a lot of key games at the time just well, it was really quite pleasing.
I guess I worded it badly. It was pretty crummy compared to what was in the 15" and 17".