About time. hd format war pretty much over, warner goes blu

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: About time. hd format war pretty much over, warner goes blu

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Manoel wrote:Doesn't the blu-ray players have some annoying content protection that downgrades the picture quality depending on the cables or TV you're using?
As far as I know, both formats have some "feature" like that, although the details probably differ.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Betamax in the early days had noticeably better picture quality on home recordings overall because the home players were better quality. This did eventually go away, though Betamax uses fewer heads to record (less wear on the tapes) and has some slight technical advantages.

On a side note, EP VHS recordings are awful quality. They also degrade VERY quickly. I remember seeing 5 year old EP tapes that were unwatchable. In particular, you'd get audio breakup very early on.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Lartrak wrote:On a side note, EP VHS recordings are awful quality. They also degrade VERY quickly. I remember seeing 5 year old EP tapes that were unwatchable. In particular, you'd get audio breakup very early on.
I still got a lot of SP tapes with old TV recordings and I am really amazed on how great they still do look. On the other hand I got stuff like Mononoke Hime or the Star Wars Trilogy that look and sound like someone gave them a bath in gasoline or something.... and those tapes were bought new and were only watched once >_<
Insane homebrew collector.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Veggita2099 wrote:Personally I can't tell any difference between regular dvd's and blu-ray movies. Maybe my hdtv isn't new enough but I have watched several blue ray movies and they don't look any better then watching a DVD on my Xbox 360.

As far as renting goes I will still take blu-ray since its the same cost with netflix, however as far as buying a movie goes Id rather pay $15 for a regular dvd then $30 for a hd version of it.
The difference is pretty huge. Maybe something is set up wrong.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Perhaps it's me but this generation of disc based movies seems like a stopgap to me, if there was a format that was clearly winning and reasonably priced I'd consider jumping aboard but I can't help feeling that the future of watching movies is by downloading them to a set-top box. The iPod and computers have shown we like having all our music in one place (I guarantee the majority of people on this site listen to their music from audio files rather than directly from CD or Vinyl most of the time), I know that part of this is an iPod needs to be portable but regardless for convenience I would much prefer all my movies in one place (even if I had to copy it onto my set-top box from a disc I bought in a store).
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Oh man, I probably shouldn't have bought that xbox 360 HD DVD add-on two weeks ago :lol:

At the time it was a good deal though, the prices are what swayed me to HD DVD. I got the thing for $149 plus 6 free HD DVD movies! Six! The thing practically paid for itself, and I bought 5 more at $19.99 each. I'm happy as a clam then I hear this news, and now I'm kind of worried. I have no problem with blu-ray, I'll get a PS3 eventually anyways but HD DVD was really great for the short term where I wanted HD movies at a low price.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

not just souLLy now wrote:Perhaps it's me but this generation of disc based movies seems like a stopgap to me, if there was a format that was clearly winning and reasonably priced I'd consider jumping aboard but I can't help feeling that the future of watching movies is by downloading them to a set-top box. The iPod and computers have shown we like having all our music in one place (I guarantee the majority of people on this site listen to their music from audio files rather than directly from CD or Vinyl most of the time), I know that part of this is an iPod needs to be portable but regardless for convenience I would much prefer all my movies in one place (even if I had to copy it onto my set-top box from a disc I bought in a store).

Exactly. I setup a pc that I hook into my tv. No need for dvd players and bluray and all that hoopla. Download and hit play done and done.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

now if only 4k or 8k res sets would make it into the home. I shot some stuff on 4k it looks pretty good.(blows away HD) they do have some 4k prototype tv sets, but thats a few years away from hitting consumersi bt. prob just the pro market.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc409afa-bd75 ... ck_check=1

Paramount in HD DVD blow

By Matthew Garrahan and Mariko Sanchanta in Las Vegas

Published: January 8 2008 02:49 | Last updated: January 8 2008 02:49

Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD DVD after Warner Brothers’ recent backing of Sony’s Blu-ray technology, in a move that will sound the death knell of HD DVD and bring the home entertainment format war to a definitive end.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation, which makes the Shrek films, came out in support of HD DVD last summer, joining General Electric’s Universal Studios as the main backers of the Toshiba format.

However, Paramount, which is owned by Viacom, is understood to have a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp that would allow it to switch sides in the event of Warner Bros backing Blu-ray, according to people familiar with the situation.

Paramount is set to have a bumper 2008 with several likely blockbusters, including the latest instalment in the Indiana Jones franchise.

Paramount joining the Blu-ray camp would leave HD DVD likely to suffer the same fate as Sony’s now obsolete Betamax video technology, which lost out to VHS in a similar format war in the 1980s.

Warners decision last week to throw its weight behind Blu-ray saw it join Walt Disney, 20th Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer as backers of the Sony format.

The Warners move gives Blu-ray about 70 per cent of Hollywood’s output, although the format’s grip on film content will increase further when Paramount comes aboard.

It is unclear whether DreamWorks Animation has the same get-out clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp.

However, Paramount and DreamWorks have a close relationship, with Paramount distributing DreamWorks Animation films. The two companies also signed their HD DVD contracts at the same time. Meanwhile, Universal has declined to comment on its next-generation DVD plans since the Warners move.

Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Monday held out an olive branch, saying the company would be “open to dialogue” with the HD DVD camp to “grow the market”. The move came as new figures showed that Blu-ray had opened up a decisive lead over the rival home entertainment format.

Sir Howard said: “We are not going to push people around. We’ll talk to anyone ... we have a lot of work to do to grow the market. We’ll be systematic and open to dialogue at all times.”

He added that Sony still had “a lot of work” to do to get Blu-ray “widely accepted” among American consumers.

“With Warner’s support you saw billboards going up in different places and you saw television commercials getting more and more sophisticated and that’s what we’ll continue doing,” said Sir Howard.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... ED%5D/1345

Paramount/DreamWorks: "Still Supporting HD DVD" [UPDATED]
Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 04:33 PM ET
Tags: CES 2008, Paramount, DreamWorks (all tags)

UPDATE: We have received word from Paramount/DreamWorks that although they continue to support HD DVD, they will not be making any new high-def title announcements at CES 2008.

Paramount/DreamWorks responded to Warner's shift to Blu-ray exclusivity today, saying that the studios have no plans to abandon the HD DVD format.
ADVERTISEMENT

Following Warner's shocking defection to Blu-ray last Friday, and the subsequent cancellation by the HD DVD Promotions Group of its planned CES media event Sunday night, speculation has run rampant regarding Paramount's next move, as well as the fate of any HD DVD title announcements they had originally planned for CES.

High-Def Digest contacted Paramount for comment, and we were told by a spokesperson that despite the events of the past few days, "we are still supporting HD DVD," and that neither Paramount nor DreamWorks had any further statements on the matter at this time.

As for any Paramount HD DVD title announcements originally planned for CES, at press time any such plans were "up in the air." Needless to say, we'll keep you posted.

Watch this space for continuing coverage....

See what people are saying about this story in our forums area, or check out other recent discussions.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

i honestly would not mind if both formats existed equally, though I know that will never happen. HD DVD needs to act fast and do SOMETHING if they want to survive in this. I am a complete HD-DVD backer, and have purchased a handful of titles, but its not really the consumer who has the say in which brand survives.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

Nico0020 wrote:i honestly would not mind if both formats existed equally, though I know that will never happen. HD DVD needs to act fast and do SOMETHING if they want to survive in this. I am a complete HD-DVD backer, and have purchased a handful of titles, but its not really the consumer who has the say in which brand survives.
toshiba just announced that they are going to seel dual format players. thats not a sign of doing anything to survive really. the big player now is universal. if they go blu only, hdvd is dead, even if they go neutral . dreamworks might be moving to universal, speilberg is working on that, and hes a big bluray supporter which is why paramounts indiana jones is going bluray. no speilberg films are going hdvd, except for a few early ones that he has no control over .. and paramount isnt exactly a big hdvd supporter since going hdvd only. they hardly released anything on the format yet, its all universal.

im holding out until the new 3d blu ray players come out this year.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

gamedudex2 wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:i honestly would not mind if both formats existed equally, though I know that will never happen. HD DVD needs to act fast and do SOMETHING if they want to survive in this. I am a complete HD-DVD backer, and have purchased a handful of titles, but its not really the consumer who has the say in which brand survives.
toshiba just announced that they are going to seel dual format players. thats not a sign of doing anything to survive really. the big player now is universal. if they go blu only, hdvd is dead, even if they go neutral . dreamworks might be moving to universal, speilberg is working on that, and hes a big bluray supporter which is why paramounts indiana jones is going bluray. no speilberg films are going hdvd, except for a few early ones that he has no control over .. and paramount isnt exactly a big hdvd supporter since going hdvd only. they hardly released anything on the format yet, its all universal.

Dual format players have been announced from quite a few companies as far back as a year and a half ago. I don't know if any have ever been actually released, but I seem to remember that some of the initial lineup from one company consisted of a dual format player that was to cost 1000$.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Quzar wrote:
gamedudex2 wrote:

Dual format players have been announced from quite a few companies as far back as a year and a half ago. I don't know if any have ever been actually released, but I seem to remember that some of the initial lineup from one company consisted of a dual format player that was to cost 1000$.
Actually, dual-format players have been out for a while now. LG and Samsung have their players priced between $600-800. Pricey, sure, but it plays HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and standard DVD's. I was actually planning on buying the LG one with my tax check next month, but now I think I'll hold off and see what becomes of HD-DVDs.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

gamedudex2 wrote:now if only 4k or 8k res sets would make it into the home. I shot some stuff on 4k it looks pretty good.(blows away HD) they do have some 4k prototype tv sets, but thats a few years away from hitting consumersi bt. prob just the pro market.
I don't quite understand this entire thing.

First of all, how would you have access to a camera that shoots at this outrageous resolution?

Second of all, how would you display this resolution.... you have a monitor that has 4000 vertical lines?

Third of all, tests have shown that the human eye can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at certain distances/sizes.... what would the advantage be with this obscene resolution?

... am I the only one wondering about these? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

MulletMan13 wrote:
gamedudex2 wrote:now if only 4k or 8k res sets would make it into the home. I shot some stuff on 4k it looks pretty good.(blows away HD) they do have some 4k prototype tv sets, but thats a few years away from hitting consumersi bt. prob just the pro market.
I don't quite understand this entire thing.

First of all, how would you have access to a camera that shoots at this outrageous resolution?

Second of all, how would you display this resolution.... you have a monitor that has 4000 vertical lines?

Third of all, tests have shown that the human eye can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at certain distances/sizes.... what would the advantage be with this obscene resolution?

... am I the only one wondering about these? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
i have access to 2 a red one cam (4520 X 2540p). planning on buying my own late this year or early next. :D. and has viewed footage on a 4k projector.

i can tell the difference between 1080i/p and 720i/p ,as well as various standards of those resolutions. i've uses various cameras and played around with them many times , also have shot on film as well. 8mm/16mm/35mm. i think those tests are just for the average person.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

melancholy wrote:
Quzar wrote:
gamedudex2 wrote:

Actually, dual-format players have been out for a while now. LG and Samsung have their players priced between $600-800. Pricey, sure, but it plays HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and standard DVD's. I was actually planning on buying the LG one with my tax check next month, but now I think I'll hold off and see what becomes of HD-DVDs.
The point here isn't the advent of dual-format players, it's that Toshiba will be making dual-format players. Toshiba is one of the handful of electronics manufacturers that is/was a major HD-DVD promoter.
MulletMan13 wrote:Third of all, tests have shown that the human eye can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at certain distances/sizes.... what would the advantage be with this obscene resolution?
720/1080 is not a big difference for typical consumer TV sets. It's a pretty big difference on a theater screen, though.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote:Third of all, tests have shown that the human eye can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at certain distances/sizes.... what would the advantage be with this obscene resolution?
720/1080 is not a big difference for typical consumer TV sets. It's a pretty big difference on a theater screen, though.
It would also make zoom features actually useful, not that they're really needed much.
It's thinking...
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
such a low resolution doesn't look great on a large theatre screen 4k and 8k look good 16k is the future though. very little done these days are using such low res like 1080p.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Who cares? Movies today are ass. For all my favs from the 80s and 90's I'll just download,burn and watch on my computer with my surround system. Saves money and don't have to worry about stupid formats that aren't necessary.
Have you played dreamcast today?