Suggestions for a new keyboard and mouse?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Suggestions for a new keyboard and mouse?

Post by Mattiethomas »

I'm in need of a new keyboard and mouse, and thought I'd ask what everyone here thinks. I'm planning on using it a lot for gaming and would rather it wireless but isn't completely required. I like the G5's feel a lot, just didn't like that it's not wireless.

Keyboard wise I don't really need anything fancy. Might just get a $30 logitech.

Anyone have any suggestions?
bizzle

Re: Suggestions for a new keyboard and mouse?

Post by bizzle »

Wireless + gaming = newb.

Stick with wired to be leet.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Keyboard: Unicomp Customizer 104.

Mouse: no, get a Wacom Bamboo tablet instead.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Don't do wireless for gaming. The latency will suck balls.

If you do go wireless, get the G7 mouse--it's the wireless version of the G5.
It's thinking...
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

for how much people complain about the "wireless lag" i have never had an issue with it, and i'm just using the microsoft 6000 laser mouse/keyboard. I mean, even in UT3 i dont feel at all that i'm at a disadvantage because of it.

on that note, for 100$, i love the 6000 series keyboard and mouse. Key strokes are short, comfortable, and while i dont use all the extra buttons, i do use most of them (gadgets, music, home, back, forward, media keys, calc, etc) Only downfall i've noticed is range. Even battery life, i'm on the original duracel's, and i bought the keyboard in march/april and it's been one almost 24/7.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Oh, I missed that you mentioned gaming. So it strikes me as odd that you want tips regarding a keyboard and mouse. Gaming with those is just like gaming on a cell phone number pad: sure, it works, but they were not first designed with that in mind -- and it shows. How about using some proper gaming devices?

These pads are made for gaming
and that's just what they'll do
one of these days these pads are
gonna pwn all over you
. . whispered
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Stormwatch wrote:Oh, I missed that you mentioned gaming. So it strikes me as odd that you want tips regarding a keyboard and mouse. Gaming with those is just like gaming on a cell phone number pad: sure, it works, but they were not first designed with that in mind -- and it shows. How about using some proper gaming devices?
First person shooters are best played on a keyboard and mouse. A keyboard provides plenty of keys right at your command, and a mouse provides much more precision than a joystick ever could.

Play any FPS where the console people can play against the PC people (like Quake 3 Arena, PC vs. DC). Anyone on console will repeatedly get their ass handed to them.
It's thinking...
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

|darc| wrote:
Stormwatch wrote:Oh, I missed that you mentioned gaming. So it strikes me as odd that you want tips regarding a keyboard and mouse. Gaming with those is just like gaming on a cell phone number pad: sure, it works, but they were not first designed with that in mind -- and it shows. How about using some proper gaming devices?
First person shooters are best played on a keyboard and mouse. A keyboard provides plenty of keys right at your command, and a mouse provides much more precision than a joystick ever could.

Play any FPS where the console people can play against the PC people (like Quake 3 Arena, PC vs. DC). Anyone on console will repeatedly get their ass handed to them.
Personal preference really. I used to play CS:S with a 360 controller and do middle of the line (I was never good at the game anyways). I know I'm not accurate, but I never got used to keyboard and mouse combo growing up. It just feels completely unnatural to me.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

You have to be fucking kidding me.

I'll own any newb using a controller/joystick with my keyboard and mouse in any first person game, any day of the week. You know why? Because its variable sensitivity. I can choose how fast or how slow I want my POV to move simply by moving the mouse faster or slower. Have fun getting and/or controlling that sort of input precision on a controller/joystick.

Oh wait.... this was coming from a guy who suggested a Wacom tablet was a suitable replacement for a mouse :roll:.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Hadouken on a keyboard... enough said. :wink:
. . whispered
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Stormwatch wrote:Hadouken on a keyboard... enough said. :wink:
2D fighting games are absurdly easier with a keyboard. Since you must explicitly press two keys to input any diagonals, you don't need to be so careful not to end the motion pressing an unwanted diagonal. Thanks to this I can input the commands fast as hell with a deadly accuracy.

The only moves that are easier with a controller are the ones using very bizarre input motions, like Guile's super somersault kick in SSF2T and Geese Howard's super move (the one where he creates a column of fire). Some moves whose input motions ends in the upper diagonals are also easier with controllers, due to the greater distance between the up and side keys on keyboards.

This said, there's a definitive downside in using keyboards instead of controllers: controllers usually doesn't hurt your hands, because they're more comfortable to use. Playing 2D fighting games (actually all games, IMO) with a keyboard for extended periods of time will damage your hands and arms.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Stormwatch wrote:Hadouken on a keyboard... enough said. :wink:
He wants a new setup for PC gaming, nothing was said about emulation.
It's thinking...