Overcoming CDRecord problems

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Overcoming CDRecord problems

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I am trying to get CDRecord working on my machine. I am using an older version of cdrecord, version 1.1.3. With any of the newer versions, including the pre-compiled binary for rhapsody, I get a killing error.

I am following the steps/backtracking from this post.
http://dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=545703

The permissions are:

Code: Select all

-rwsr-sr-x  1 root  staff  314904 Mar 31  2003 cdrecord
Just as in the last thread, i got this output:

bw% ./cdrecord dev=IODVDServices -dummy -multi -xa1 ~/Desktop/ind1.iso
Cdrecord 1.11a39 (powerpc-apple-macosx6.4) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jrg Schilling
scsidev: 'IODVDServices'
devname: 'IODVDServices'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
./cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (csapuntz-scsi-mac-iokit.c-1.4 '@(#)scsi-mac-iokit.c 1.4 02/10/19 Copyright 1997,2001 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   : 
Vendor_info    : '_NEC    '
Identifikation : 'DVD_RW ND-2500A '
Revision       : '1.0A'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
./cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support code.
./cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for cdrecord-ProDVD.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE 
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 32 in dummy TAO mode for multi session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Turning BURN-Free off

WARNING: padding up to secsize.
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 26405208/26406912 (12894 sectors).
Everything is ok ,except for the second to last line:

WARNING: padding up to secsize.
Even though I am using a different mac , I am still getting that same warning in the output that I got in previous linked post. It creates Coasters with 1 audio section as the second track, 5:02 in length. Does anyone know how to prevent this padding?
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Overcoming CDRecord problems

Post by emptythought »

Does anyone know how to prevent this padding?
-nopad should do it.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The "padding up to secsize" warning typically means that you're using the wrong mode for burning the image that you have. You can suppress it with -nopad, but what you really need to do is figure out why your mode is mismatched. If cdrecord -help says:
-xa Subsequent tracks are CD-ROM XA mode 2 form 1 - 2048 bytes
-xa1 Subsequent tracks are CD-ROM XA mode 2 form 1 - 2056 bytes
then you probably want -xa instead of -xa1; Joerg changed these options around at some point and versions with the new options give wrong results with all the old Dreamcast burning guides.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ex-Cyber wrote:The "padding up to secsize" warning typically means that you're using the wrong mode for burning the image that you have. You can suppress it with -nopad, but what you really need to do is figure out why your mode is mismatched. If cdrecord -help says:
-xa Subsequent tracks are CD-ROM XA mode 2 form 1 - 2048 bytes
-xa1 Subsequent tracks are CD-ROM XA mode 2 form 1 - 2056 bytes
then you probably want -xa instead of -xa1; Joerg changed these options around at some point and versions with the new options give wrong results with all the old Dreamcast burning guides.
You probably already realized this, but I want to just say that -nopad will probably not produce a working disc. The data is not going to be in its correct sectors, i.e. 8 bytes of sector 2's data will be in sector 1, 16 bytes of sector 3's data will be in sector 2, etc.
It's thinking...
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

This may not help, but have you tried using cdrecord 2.x? More drives are supported I think. I've used that version in the past without any issues. These were with Apple stock drives. Not sure about 3rd party. I'd send you a pre-compiled binary, but that machine has long died.

edit: I just followed that link to the old thread. I completely forgot that we have been down this road before and there wasn't a resolution. :?
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I have tried both -nopad & -pad with padding up to correct size, and neither produced a working disc.

Although I will try to switch the xa modes to make it work.
abydos1000 wrote:This may not help, but have you tried using cdrecord 2.x? More drives are supported I think. I've used that version in the past without any issues. These were with Apple stock drives. Not sure about 3rd party. I'd send you a pre-compiled binary, but that machine has long died.

edit: I just followed that link to the old thread. I completely forgot that we have been down this road before and there wasn't a resolution. :?
I used the precompiled binary for OSX rhapsody in the cdrecord gopher site, and i get that same error I got last time 'SEGMENTATION FAULT'. Same with the compiled version 2.0.1 that you sent me, way back when the original thread was made (gets the same error).

I'm glad you posted, I was gonna hunt down your email to try and get your help.

I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

abydos wrote:This may not help, but have you tried using cdrecord 2.x? More drives are supported I think. I've used that version in the past without any issues. These were with Apple stock drives. Not sure about 3rd party. I'd send you a pre-compiled binary, but that machine has long died.
In that thread I used an iMac with a stock cd-rw drive, this time i'm using a g4 b&w with a pc standard DVD-RW drive. I still get the same error with -xa1.

As per the info in toast, it is a iso file size of 2048 + (12 byte subheader) = 2056.
This is the output I get with -xa2, they are defined -xa1 & -xa2. I actually does not burn the disc at all,with either the first or second session. ./cdrecord: Undefined error: 0. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error .... is the main error that is generated.

./cdrecord dev=IODVDServices  -multi -xa2 ~/Desktop/ind1.iso
Cdrecord 1.11a39 (powerpc-apple-macosx6.4) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 J��rg Schilling
scsidev: 'IODVDServices'
devname: 'IODVDServices'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
./cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (csapuntz-scsi-mac-iokit.c-1.4 '@(#)scsi-mac-iokit.c        1.4 02/10/19 Copyright 1997,2001 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   : 
Vendor_info    : '_NEC    '
Identifikation : 'DVD_RW ND-2500A '
Revision       : '1.0A'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
./cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support code.
./cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for cdrecord-ProDVD.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE 
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 32 in dummy TAO mode for multi session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Turning BURN-Free off
./cdrecord: Undefined error: 0. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 0F 00 00 0F 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 06 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 29 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x6 Unit Attention, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x29 Qual 0x00 (power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) 
resid: 30840
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s
write track data: error after 30840 bytes
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 25 8B
./cdrecord: Undefined error: 0. flush cache: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 01 00 80 25 8B
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of becoming ready) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) operation 14% done
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 120s
Trouble flushing the cache
./cdrecord: Undefined error: 0. close track/session: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 01 00 80 25 8B
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of becoming ready) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) operation 14% done
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 480s
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 480s
And it will have Trouble flushing the cache @/after the 2nd session.

Could It be from the mkisofs creation not being perfect? Toast recognizes the iso created from the below commands as a XA track just fine..

mkisofs -C 0,11700 -V INDUCER -l -d -o ~/temp.iso Inducer
( cat Ip.bin ; dd if=temp.iso bs=2048 skip=16 ) > temp2.iso
isofix temp2.iso 11700 /mac

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

You need to use -xa, not xa1/xa2.

Or change your mkisofs command to output at a sector size of 2056 ("-secsize 2056"?) and then use -xa1.
It's thinking...
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

|darc| wrote:You need to use -xa, not xa1/xa2.
He's using 1.11x. I don't even think -xa is a option in that version, like Ex-Cyber said, Jorge changed the commands a little. He should be using -xa1 for 2048 size sectors for his version...

I'm not sure if you really need isofix to make a Mac ISO. Older version of CDRecord should also start the second session at 11702...

But I've been doing some Googling. It looks like you also need to unmount your burner before you write the second session.
cdrecord cannot access non-blank discs on its own. These discs are controlled by the Mac GUI. To disengage the CD from the Mac GUI, you have to dismount it, either using Disk Utility or the terminal. With the terminal, you need the disktool command and the bsdname of the mounted CD-Rom. To get the bsdname, try the df command and look for the line /dev/disk[?]0 in the output. The disk[?] will be the bsdname, i.e., /dev/disk2s0 would provide a bsdname of "disk2." Unmount the disk as follows:

disktool -u disk2 0
Any time you want to access a non-blank disc using either cdrecord or one of its sister tools, you will need to use this disktool command to disengage the disk from Mac OS X and unmount its image from the desktop.
HTH
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

fackue wrote:
He's using 1.11x. I don't even think -xa is a option in that version, like Ex-Cyber said, Jorge changed the commands a little. He should be using -xa1 for 2048 size sectors for his version...
Sorry, I misunderstood Ex-Cyber's post to imply that he was using the newer cdrtools.
It's thinking...
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Yes, making sure the disc is unmounted is an important point. I assume he is using the directions I posted in the original thread which I think had that command in there. You can also go to the system preferences and and set the finder to ignore inserted blank discs, but that only works for the first track. Once something is written to the disc, the finder will mount it.

I'm too busy the rest of the week to look into this again. Maybe this weekend. From the original thread, I can't see why I was getting working discs and he was getting coasters. Honestly though, I haven't burned a disc for the DC in over two years.
fackue wrote:

I'm not sure if you really need isofix to make a Mac ISO. Older version of CDRecord should also start the second session at 11702...

But I've been doing some Googling. It looks like you also need to unmount your burner before you write the second session.
cdrecord cannot access non-blank discs on its own. These discs are controlled by the Mac GUI. To disengage the CD from the Mac GUI, you have to dismount it, either using Disk Utility or the terminal. With the terminal, you need the disktool command and the bsdname of the mounted CD-Rom. To get the bsdname, try the df command and look for the line /dev/disk[?]0 in the output. The disk[?] will be the bsdname, i.e., /dev/disk2s0 would provide a bsdname of "disk2." Unmount the disk as follows:

disktool -u disk2 0
Any time you want to access a non-blank disc using either cdrecord or one of its sister tools, you will need to use this disktool command to disengage the disk from Mac OS X and unmount its image from the desktop.
HTH
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

darc wrote:You need to use -xa, not xa1/xa2.

Or change your mkisofs command to output at a sector size of 2056 ("-secsize 2056"?) and then use -xa1.
Ok, I thought xa and xa1 were the same. 1.13 only has xa1 & xa2, no just 'xa' option. I would much rather use 2.01 or cdrtools, but every precompiled binary i get of those versions does not run of my machine. (see first post).

But I might give that a try with mkisofs. I have tried to deviate from the regular 3 line comands in the past (that i posted above), for making DC cd's but little has worked.
disktool -u disk2 0
I have been using disktool to unmount the cd after the first burn. I didnt mention it earlier, because I cant even get the first session to burn right. but yes, I use disktool inbetween.
abydos wrote: I'm too busy the rest of the week to look into this again. Maybe this weekend. From the original thread, I can't see why I was getting working discs and he was getting coasters. Honestly though, I haven't burned a disc for the DC in over two years.
I know it has been awhile, but there is one thing in particular I need to know. On page 2 of that previous thread, you showed a step by step successful breakdown of your use of cdrecord. What I need to know is what ISO's did you use in that? ISO's made by Mac Dream Tool? ISO's made through terminal commands? or ISO's made with another mac booting program (my regular selfbooter, weepels)?

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Have you tried compiling your own version?
It's thinking...
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I.M. Weasel wrote:
abydos wrote: I'm too busy the rest of the week to look into this again. Maybe this weekend. From the original thread, I can't see why I was getting working discs and he was getting coasters. Honestly though, I haven't burned a disc for the DC in over two years.
I know it has been awhile, but there is one thing in particular I need to know. On page 2 of that previous thread, you showed a step by step successful breakdown of your use of cdrecord. What I need to know is what ISO's did you use in that? ISO's made by Mac Dream Tool? ISO's made through terminal commands? or ISO's made with another mac booting program (my regular selfbooter, weepels)?
Given that was 3 years ago, I can't give an answer with 100% certainty. The source of the images was likely one of the following:

1. Images made by MacDreamTool (what ever was current in 2004)
2. Images made by CDIRip from a DiscJuggler Image (e.g., something from Dcevolution).

I suspect it was #1, but I can't be certain. However, those were the only images I ever messed with.

As for compiling, I used Fink to compile 2.X from source way back. However, IM doesn't want to install that. He should be able to find the source code, and I think one can dig around Fink's web site to see if there are any dependancies before building.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

fackue wrote:
Does anyone know how to prevent this padding?
-nopad should do it.
I actually had this problem when I was on a Mac and that actually did help me produce a working disc. Your experience may vary of course.