Wii Virtual Console Releases Thread

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wii Virtual Console Releases Thread

Post by Veggita2099 »

I didn't remember the 2nd one being so hard... till last night. I broke down and bought Golden Axe 3 and in doing so I had an extra 500 points left over. So I used the remaining 500 points to buy Castlevania 2. After getting wooped in Golden Axe 3 (the giant blanca looking dude sucks!!) we played a little bit of CAstlevania 2. Used a password to give all items and decided to beat the game real quick. Finnally muddled through it but yea there was a lot of things in that game that would be hard to figure out. I know back in the day we had no problem with it, but then again I am sure somebody had a guide that I looked off of, etc.

WE did beat the game though finnally. Final boss is pretty easy just attack and throw holy water while standing in the left corner.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

11/05/07 US Releases

Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES - 500 Points
Alien Soldier - Sega Genesis - 900 Points
Power Golf - TurboGrafx-16 - 600 Points

I'm gonna get SMB3 once I get out of classes today. That is a must have!
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Yep. The lack of clear direction was the reason I disliked Simon's Quest. Without a guide, you could easily walk around forever and never figure out what you're supposed to do. I didn't mind the day/night cycle, and I thought the controls were good. Not knowing where to go was pretty frustrating.

I'm pretty excited about SMB3. I'll be downloading that tonight after dinner.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

They released SMB3 a week before Mario Galaxy, so what will they do next week when Mario Galaxy actually comes out?

I think the only ones they haven't done that would be likely are Mario Kart, Mario Paint, and Mario RPG.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Dew wrote:Mario RPG.
That would be awesome. It was one of the relatively few RPGs I actually enjoyed, and I never did get a chance to finish it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
That would be awesome. It was one of the relatively few RPGs I actually enjoyed, and I never did get a chance to finish it.
Never finished it? Damn. It was an amazing game.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
Never finished it? Damn. It was an amazing game.
I have a very low tolerance for RPGs. The genre in general doesn't really excite me; when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s, playing a console RPG seemed akin to playing with Windows for hours on end. Slowly move things around, and click through a hundred text menus :P

Oddly enough, though, I loved adventure games. I think it has to do with the writing...jRPGs seemed to have the same sort of cliche stories that other video games contain, but adventure games were more like interactive books: entertaining and cleverly written, even if the gameplay itself is nothing to write home about.

I've since become a little more interested in them, but it really takes something special to draw me in. I enjoyed ChronoTrigger. I had fun with the various Mario RPGs (Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, etc.) because of their goofiness and the more visceral feeling of the integrated platforming and reflex-enhanced battle system. I also enjoyed Grandia 2, due to the uniqueness and strategy built into its hybrid time/position/turn based combat...though a large part of the reason I finished that game is because I was very seriously ill at the time and spent a couple weeks in bed with little to do.

But yeah. I'm looking forward to giving that game another shot.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I want SMRPG on the VC for one reason: proper sound emulation. No emulator in existance can emulate the sound effects in SMRPG properly. I still break out the original cartridge just to play the game, but using a SNES on an HDTV is not as great of an experience as an emulated version on my Xbox output at 720P. If they would release the game on Wii, I would have the best of both worlds and be infinitely happy.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Early RPG's from the 80's and early 90's for the most part were usually pretty bad IMO. Was a couple of good ones, but the bad ones could easily turn a person away from the whole genre easily. Dragon Warrior for the NES turned me against for a long time. That was a god awful game. IT was so bad I remember them actually giving it away with 3 proofs of purchase from certain cereal boxes.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Alien Soldier is an awesome game, don't overlook it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Veggita2099 wrote:Early RPG's from the 80's and early 90's for the most part were usually pretty bad IMO. Was a couple of good ones, but the bad ones could easily turn a person away from the whole genre easily. Dragon Warrior for the NES turned me against for a long time. That was a god awful game. IT was so bad I remember them actually giving it away with 3 proofs of purchase from certain cereal boxes.

Pffft, I loved Dragon Warrior as a kid. Played it all the time, even if I didn't understand the concept of having to level up and I would never leave the city much because I didn't want to be attacked by the hard enemies up North. :P

You know what was a god awful game? Final Fantasy. No, I can't actually say that with any authority, but the UI was so slow to me that I always just turn it off.
It's thinking...
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

|darc| wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:Early RPG's from the 80's and early 90's for the most part were usually pretty bad IMO. Was a couple of good ones, but the bad ones could easily turn a person away from the whole genre easily. Dragon Warrior for the NES turned me against for a long time. That was a god awful game. IT was so bad I remember them actually giving it away with 3 proofs of purchase from certain cereal boxes.

Pffft, I loved Dragon Warrior as a kid. Played it all the time, even if I didn't understand the concept of having to level up and I would never leave the city much because I didn't want to be attacked by the hard enemies up North. :P

You know what was a god awful game? Final Fantasy. No, I can't actually say that with any authority, but the UI was so slow to me that I always just turn it off.
FF was good but I do agree, it moved very slowly. I found though that many of the problematic and tedious rpgs are much more enjoyable with a fast forward option. I do miss not having it on the VC, it has spoiled me rotten.
Last edited by Dew on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Yea the original Final Fantasy ranked right in there with Dragon Warrior IMO. I have to say after playing it some more Castlevania 2 is one of those games that didn't hold up well over time. I remembered it being a bad ass game back in the day. I have tried to play it and I just can't be bothered. Whats worse is if I had waited 4 days I could have gotten Mario 3 with those extra points.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Veggita2099 wrote:Yea the original Final Fantasy ranked right in there with Dragon Warrior IMO. I have to say after playing it some more Castlevania 2 is one of those games that didn't hold up well over time. I remembered it being a bad ass game back in the day. I have tried to play it and I just can't be bothered. Whats worse is if I had waited 4 days I could have gotten Mario 3 with those extra points.
It's more or less Zelda 2: Simon Belmont Edition.

I still like it, but it is definitely one of the weaker entries in the series.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

US releases for 12/10/07:

Pokemon Snap ............... N64
Ghosts'n Goblins .............. NES
BASEBALL STARS 2 ............. NEOGEO

Eh, finally another decent N64 game released. I liked Pokemon Snap a lot as a kid, a fun but short game; trying to beat the scores in the players guide is where I found a lot of challenge mixed with fun.

I just want Super Mario RPG sometime soon..
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Top Hunter (I think) Neo Geo 900 points

Friend of mine bought this game last night. It is kind of like a Contra game only it is more kung foo then shooting. You can use moves similar to moves from Street Fighter II such as chun li's rapid kick, ken's fireball, etc. I don't know that I would recommend it for 900 points as it is a pretty short game, but we enjoyed playing it for most of the night. We never could beat Captain Klap though. The entire game could probably be beaten in about a hour and a half if you are good enough, maybe less.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Alright, Donkey Kong Country 3 has been released on the VC. Though technically the worst one of the series, for some reason, it is always my favorite one to play.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

StarTropics 500 Points

King of Fights 94 900 Points.

Startropics was a pretty good game for the time. a lot like a Zelda game only a lot harder IMO.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

January 14
Pac-Attack - SNES
Riot Zone - TurboGrafx

January 21
Adventures of Lolo 2 - NES
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers - SNES

January 28
1080° Snowboarding - N64
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

This week we only get one? I know it's a good one, but that's still really disappointing. Why did they stop releasing 3 a week? It's not like they are running out of things to port.