Jobs: We want third party apps on the iPhone/iTouch

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Jobs: We want third party apps on the iPhone/iTouch

Post by |darc| »

Steve Jobs wrote:Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]
I thought something like this would happen. Well, that settles it. I'm willing to switch to AT&T for the iPhone now.

This also pretty much makes the iTouch a PDA for sure.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Jobs: We want third party apps on the iPhone/iTouch

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:I'm willing to switch to AT&T
:nono:

...Good news about the Touch, though. Maybe I'll reconsider it when it's available in a higher capacity. I've been waiting for a decent alternative to replace my Zodiac, which does everything the iPod Touch currently does, and more...just not NEARLY as elegantly. Web browsers for Palm all kind of suck; there is one decent Sony-exclusive one that was hacked to work on other models, but it runs really slowly. And the media is nowhere near as seamless as it is on an iPod. Also, my Zodiac is nearly four years old, so the battery life isn't what it used to be...and a PDA's battery life under heavy use is considerably shorter than an iPod's battery life. But it does its job relatively well, so I've been reluctant to give it up until there was an alternative available that is REALLY polished.

However, I'm hoping the fact that the programs need to be passed through Apple for signature doesn't mean that freeware (as in beer) will be disallowed. That would really kill a lot of the enthusiasm, especially since those things are so expensive to begin with.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Honestly, I have never seen what the big problem is with ATT. Verizon is much, much worse.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

All carriers vary in different parts of the country.

For example, AT&T is great over here, and Spring really sucks nuts (despite their fast network downtown they drop a shitton of calls).
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

If you think AT&T sucks where you live, we don't even have it in my state.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:Honestly, I have never seen what the big problem is with ATT. Verizon is much, much worse.
While the quality of their service is a very big factor, there is a LOT more to it than that. AT&T is a horribly abusive and exploitative company on many different levels, considerably moreso than what we might cynically call the "corporate norm."

- They severely exploited and crippled Africa's already-suffering telecommunications infrastructure. They negotiated to be the exclusive phone company for several small African nations, so they would have the control necessary to help rebuild Africa's communications infrastructure. After securing the contract, they scrapped the expansion and upgraded plans, and just hiked their service fees through the roof.

- More famously, they rewired their entire network backbone to give the NSA direct (and quite illegal) access to all their customers' communications, including phone calls, emails, and Internet activity. And lied about it publicly, and refused to comply with Congressional demands about the program. (Verizon was also involved in this. There is a possibility that Sprint was, too, though that's not certain. However, they just handed over records improperly. AT&T physically rewired their entire network to give the NSA direct access)

- They used the (currently quite corrupt) FCC to strongarm state and local governments into bypassing build-out requirements and linesharing. This means that, against many county and city ordinances, they are free to only build their network into wealthy neighborhoods while leaving poorer or more remote communities to rot. It also means that, unlike in most other countries, they do not have to share their lines with other providers, even for a fee, if they don't want to. This initially makes sense, but if you consider that AT&T owns a large portion of the phone infrastructure in the US, and that much of that was built before current safety codes and building regulations were in place (which would make similar build-out not only redundant, but literally impossible for potential competitors to implement now), it means AT&T has the power to be the exclusive phone and DSL provider wherever it was fortunate enough to build first.

- AT&T has several times been caught censoring anti-Bush and anti-Republican messages in broadcasts it was carrying, most notably at a recent Pearl Jam concert. So much for an impartial carrier of information.

- AT&T has also expressed interest in working extensively with the RIAA and MPAA on technologies to preemptively block or scramble the transfer of copyrighted materials over its network, as well as providing customer information for suspected infringers carte blanch. I don't think I need to bother explaining to *this* crowd how that's a lot more harmful and sinister in practice than it sounds on paper.

- Until a public outcry was raised over it, AT&T's terms of service stipulated that the company had the right to terminate your account without notice for any activities that might "defame AT&T." Don't criticize us, or we'll take away your service. First amendment be damned.

- They have a long and storied history of screwing over their customers. This particular section is not unique to AT&T; in fact, most major telecoms are guilty of it to varying degrees, so I won't bother getting into how they treated remaining customers of the "old" AT&T wireless, or customer account practices, or billing and service errors, or the whole host of things that more immediately come to mind when you choose a service. I also don't feel the need to recount my personal dealings with AT&T, as I've done that here a few times before. (Summary: horrible service with lots of downtime and poor quality, repeatedly screwed up my account and held me responsible for their mistakes, overcharged me several hundred dollars over the course of my contract with them and sent me to collections when I tried to get it straightened out).

There. I can provide citations for all those things, if you wish. But long story short: AT&T is an absolutely horrible company. I am the "tech guy" (you know what I mean) in my family and circle of friends, so whenever they're asking about phone or Internet services, I always point them away from AT&T.

Fuck them.

Seriously.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Well, the choices around where I grew up were Verizon and...that's it. From what I know, Verizon got into a nice contract with the county I lived in to be the exclusive provider for cell phone service in the county. Looking at the map of competing cell companies, you would see a big black circle around our county (meaning no service whatsoever). With this exclusive contract, they decided to take their monopoly over the networks in our county by instating the following policies:

-An added $5 monthly charge just to be allowed to use the cell phone outside the county.
-Any area outside the county was considered roaming.
-Despite being issued a local number, a landline phone is charged long distance to call any local cell phone number.
-All caller ID is disabled to anyone that's not Verizon.

Plus the rates were ridiculous. They taxed the hell out of the service, sometimes doubling the cost. About 3 years ago, it cost $45 a month for 150 minutes. But the county is so tiny, nobody knows how badly they are being screwed over. When I went to college, I had to drop Verizon (due to the skyrocketing cost of all those roaming charges) and joined Cingular. I had no idea the difference in service was going to be so dramatic. My cell phone cost went from $50 a month to $30, plus got double the minutes and was able to use my phone anywhere.

As far as ATT is concerned, they removed Ameritech. That is good enough for me, as Ameritech was hands down the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. They overcharged us for internet 8 months in a row. We signed a contract for $40 broadband, but they insisted on charging us $80 for i (they were putting the charges on the bill twice). Every month we were on the phone with them for 2 hours to fix our bill. When they finally got around to fixing the actual billing process, 4 months later our year internet contract was up and when we renewed, they began charging us $120 for internet (our original $80 bill, plus another $40 charge). The calls started again and continued on until SBC bought them out. One call to SBC, and 20 minutes later not only was our bill fixed permanently, but they gave us $10 off our monthly charges for putting up with Ameritech's crap.

Actually, looking back at my stories, it would appear that I have no qualms with the companies that were bought out by ATT. I liked Cingular and I liked SBC. So really, I don't know yet if ATT is really that great or not.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

On the ipod side of things, this is the second time in a year the hard drive has failed on my 60gb video. Luckily I bought the longest applecare plan they had.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

However, I'm hoping the fact that the programs need to be passed through Apple for signature doesn't mean that freeware (as in beer) will be disallowed. That would really kill a lot of the enthusiasm, especially since those things are so expensive to begin with.
I'm sure it will. I suspect the digital signature is a way for them to get a piece of every iPhone program. They knew that it would be an insanely popular development platform and that if they released it as an open platform initially, that potential revenue stream would be gone forever.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Egotistical EvilN wrote:On the ipod side of things, this is the second time in a year the hard drive has failed on my 60gb video. Luckily I bought the longest applecare plan they had.
I wish I'd gotten an Apple Care plan for my laptop. The machine itself is perfectly fine, but it's a little under two years old and the battery is completely screwed up. (Interestingly enough, this is the REPLACEMENT they sent me last year as part of the battery recall). Of course, at the time I got it, I was still in college and pretty broke. Even refurbished, I could barely afford the machine itself; I had to pay for it with the refund check I got from the lemon of a machine I had before that.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I guarantee there will be free programs out there. There will be a way to bypass the digital signature option, and people will install whatever they want on the phone. I am also sure that free programs will be released as well-- some will be paid programs, but I'm sure most will be free.

Then again I don't know anything other than what was posted...
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

melancholy wrote:Honestly, I have never seen what the big problem is with ATT. Verizon is much, much worse.
AT&T is awful here. Not only is there service bad, but they won't work with you at all when you have a problem. Friend of mine has a phone with them and he lives in the middle of town. He can sit on his front porch and try to talk to me and get dropped calls etc almost every day. IT shows full strength on his phone to. He tried to cancel his service which he bought over 2 years ago and he somehow got stuck in another 2 year contract because he changed his plan a few months ago. Between him and his parents they argued forever over several phone calls and AT&T will not budge or try to do anything to solve this problem. I had Intelos a long time ago and after about 8 months they let me out of my contract because their service was not working well for me. I had another friend who got out of his Sprint contract for the same reason.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Egotistical EvilN wrote:On the ipod side of things, this is the second time in a year the hard drive has failed on my 60gb video. Luckily I bought the longest applecare plan they had.
I wish I'd gotten an Apple Care plan for my laptop. The machine itself is perfectly fine, but it's a little under two years old and the battery is completely screwed up. (Interestingly enough, this is the REPLACEMENT they sent me last year as part of the battery recall). Of course, at the time I got it, I was still in college and pretty broke. Even refurbished, I could barely afford the machine itself; I had to pay for it with the refund check I got from the lemon of a machine I had before that.
Apple has extended the warranty for the batteries in MacBooks and Macbook Pros to be two years. Perhaps you could get it replaced under that warranty.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
Apple has extended the warranty for the batteries in MacBooks and Macbook Pros to be two years. Perhaps you could get it replaced under that warranty.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it...but I bought my machine refurbished (the only way I could afford it at the time), so it might not apply to me.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Roofus wrote:
I'm sure it will. I suspect the digital signature is a way for them to get a piece of every iPhone program. They knew that it would be an insanely popular development platform and that if they released it as an open platform initially, that potential revenue stream would be gone forever.
Mac OS X Leopard does signed applications too, you know. And it doesn't require any of that crap.
It's thinking...
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Were you practicing your juggling skills? iPods are notorious for being piles of crap, but that seems a little crazy.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

pixel wrote:
Were you practicing your juggling skills? iPods are notorious for being piles of crap, but that seems a little crazy.
Apparently, there's a glitch with the most recent iPod Classic firmware which causes the disc to keep spinning continuously. Brilliant :roll:

On the upside, there's been a lot of rapid product evolution over the last year or so. I think, once solid-state MP3 players start becoming available in sizes 32GB or more (not too much longer now...), I'll finally be ready to invest in one.