Got my first DMCA letter

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Got my first DMCA letter

Post by Skynet »

I got one of these letters and did what code-red said, got a new HDD. :lol:The fact I wanted a new hard drive anyway coz my current one at the time was full also made me buy one. It just happened to be a happy coincidence.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I have no idea if they do stuff like that over here or not. I use encrypted usenet for everything.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

unshare the file, ignore the warning, use peer guardian and don't use public trackers again :)
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

not just souLLy now wrote:unshare the file, ignore the warning, use peer guardian and don't use public trackers again :)
QFT++
It's thinking...
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

|darc| wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:unshare the file, ignore the warning, use peer guardian and don't use public trackers again :)
QFT++

I do use PeerGuardian. I'd hate to give up EZTV though; I'd used it for years without incident before this.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Roofus wrote:I talked to a lawyer (my dad's friend's son) and he said to ignore it. If they do pursue it, then I should tell them my wireless got hacked or something,
Just hope they don't find this forum. :lol:
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Code-Red wrote:What's with everyone and hardware wiping? Just fucking get a 40gb drive, toss it in there, and hide the other one. What are they going to say?

OH WE SCANNED YOUR HARDWARE PROFILE AND NOTICED YOU HAD A SEAGATE, NOW YOU'VE GOT A WESTERN DIGITAL?!?!?

Yea....
Which is when they get a search warrant. You'll have to stash it at a friend's place or something.

Also, I've never gotten any sort of notification for piracy, and neither has my brother. And we've been torrenting crap pretty much 24/7 for years. Then again, I don't really torrent new releases. That probably has something to do with it.
Wait until it gets released to consumers (DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, etc). By that time, nobody really cares.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I just block the upload. I don't think they get you for downloading you have to share to get busted.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

SuperMegatron wrote:I just block the upload. I don't think they get you for downloading you have to share to get busted.
If you are using a half decent tracker, you have to share to be able to download in the first place. Not everyone uses the shitty public places where people like you can leech to their heart's content.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

butters wrote:
SuperMegatron wrote:I just block the upload. I don't think they get you for downloading you have to share to get busted.
If you are using a half decent tracker, you have to share to be able to download in the first place. Not everyone uses the shitty public places where people like you can leech to their heart's content.
That's a bit harsh. There are plenty of great public torrents. Most private trackers suck because their system is flawed. Everything is over-seeded. There's no point in giving me connection maxing speed on a torrent if I become the 50th seeder with only 1 or 2 (or maybe even 0) leechers. I don't have the upstream to create and support my own torrents unless it's ~100MB, and in most cases I don't have anything to give that somebody else can't offer instead at a better speed.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

BoneyCork wrote:
butters wrote:
That's a bit harsh. There are plenty of great public torrents. Most private trackers suck because their system is flawed. Everything is over-seeded. There's no point in giving me connection maxing speed on a torrent if I become the 50th seeder with only 1 or 2 (or maybe even 0) leechers. I don't have the upstream to create and support my own torrents unless it's ~100MB, and in most cases I don't have anything to give that somebody else can't offer instead at a better speed.
Yes, but people like him don't contribute to P2P. They take but they don't give.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

butters wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
butters wrote:
Yes, but people like him don't contribute to P2P. They take but they don't give.
Unless we're talking about legal downloads here (and let's face it, we're not), you're always taking without giving. If someone has no problem with not paying for something, you can't expect them to still feel morally obliged to seed stuff either.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

BoneyCork wrote:
butters wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
butters wrote:
Unless we're talking about legal downloads here (and let's face it, we're not), you're always taking without giving. If someone has no problem with not paying for something, you can't expect them to still feel morally obliged to seed stuff either.
It depends how grateful they are for it.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

BoneyCork wrote:
butters wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
butters wrote:
Lets not talk morality. Digital distribution is infinitely more practical than physical means. This has more to do with the P2P phenomenon than people being cheap does. Someone will figure out how to pick up our money soon, anyway.

A person who hits and runs or doesn't share at all is dumb and an asshole. They are hurting the very networks they rely upon. People who share music on the internet are smart--many of them are also assholes. But the second category of people at least understand the network well enough to maintain a symbiotic relationship with it.

If you are not willing to accept the potential legal consequences of responsible network use, don't use the network.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

jaredfogle wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
butters wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
butters wrote:
Lets not talk morality. Digital distribution is infinitely more practical than physical means. This has more to do with the P2P phenomenon than people being cheap does. Someone will figure out how to pick up our money soon, anyway.

A person who hits and runs or doesn't share at all is dumb and an asshole. They are hurting the very networks they rely upon. People who share music on the internet are smart--many of them are also assholes. But the second category of people at least understand the network well enough to maintain a symbiotic relationship with it.

If you are not willing to accept the potential legal consequences of responsible network use, don't use the network.
I'm not trying to justify torrent hit & runs. I'm just making a point; you can't expect a warezer to give a crap about seeding if they couldn't give a crap about paying for what they're downloading.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

BoneyCork wrote:I'm not trying to justify torrent hit & runs. I'm just making a point; you can't expect a warezer to give a crap about seeding if they couldn't give a crap about paying for what they're downloading.
The two aren't necessarily equivalent. Obviously some portion of warezers are merely cheap and/or lazy, but there's a mindset among some warezers that providing free access to software is a moral imperative. Some of them go to a lot of trouble and expense to keep the various warez scenes going. Actually, a lot of Free Software advocates more or less feel this way, but they don't necessarily do warez because:

1) Legal is better than illegal, especially in terms of broad social acceptance
2) Binary-only software isn't as good as having the source
Richard Stallman wrote:Sometimes I think that perhaps one of the best things I could do with my life is find a gigantic pile of proprietary software that was a trade secret, and start handing out copies on a street corner so it wouldn't be a trade secret any more. Perhaps that would be a much more efficient way for me to give people new free software than actually writing it myself; but everyone is too cowardly to even take it.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

BoneyCork wrote:I'm not trying to justify torrent hit & runs. I'm just making a point; you can't expect a warezer to give a crap about seeding if they couldn't give a crap about paying for what they're downloading.
I'm saying that you can expect people to be aware enough of what they're doing to maintain a symbiotic relationship with the networks.

You can't expect responsible behavior from a dumbass, though. And that's really the people we're talking about. People who don't support their artists and people who don't support their networks.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Roofus wrote:I do use PeerGuardian. I'd hate to give up EZTV though; I'd used it for years without incident before this.
Then how can they bypass PeerGuardian? By the way, I don't know what's EZTV.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Manoel wrote:
Roofus wrote:I do use PeerGuardian. I'd hate to give up EZTV though; I'd used it for years without incident before this.
Then how can they bypass PeerGuardian? By the way, I don't know what's EZTV.
PeerGuardian is only good if you know the IP the company is monitoring with. If they change their IP, PeerGuardian is useless until the new IP is added to the database.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

APE wrote:
butters wrote:
APE wrote:I'd be like "prove it" then sue them for slander.
In that case you'd have to prove that you have been harmed. Care to have your hard drive examined? Don't try that 7 pass delete crap either, or they'll just say that you removed the evidence, and then you might find yourself in contempt of court.
Try Peter Gutmann 35 pass, I'll say it simply never existed and that by attempting to have me held in contempt of court they're calling me a liar and that is something I am not. Thus slander. Course if you want me to prove slander before actually going to court? Saying I'm a software pirate isn't exactly a bonus to your reputation unless you happen to lead the pirate party.
Sorry APE but that method more than likely will not work...

The Gutmann method is an algorithm for securely shredding the contents of computer hard drives, such as files. Devised by Peter Gutmann and Colin Plumb, it does so by writing a series of 35 patterns over the shredded region.

The selection of patterns assumes that the user doesn't know the encoding mechanism used by the drive, and so includes patterns designed specifically for three different types of drives. A user who knows which type of encoding the drive uses can choose only those patterns intended for their drive. A drive with a different encoding mechanism would need different patterns. Most of the patterns in the Gutmann method were designed for older MFM/RLL encoded disks. Today, however, any relatively modern drive no longer uses these old encoding techniques, making most of the patterns in Gutmann's method superfluous. Indeed, Gutmann himself mentions in a follow up to his original 1996 paper that, "For any modern PRML/EPRML drive, a few passes of random scrubbing is the best you can do."

Source: Wikipedia - Gutmann Method
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.