Introducing myself.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ThinkTank
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Introducing myself.

Post by ThinkTank »

Hello everyone.

I'm an incredibly new member here. I've been lerking for the last few days, but I decided to sign up and contribute (if I can) now.
I bought my DC on the release date for Shenmue. It was that game which sold it to me. I've since been through about three, but always had one playable.
My DC has recently been gathering dust (literally) on my shelf until I pulled it off and set it up again, resparking an old flame... almost. My stupid television won't allow me to tune it in correctly, so until my SCART cable gets here I'm DC-less.

Anyway, as I said, I've been lerking around for a few days looking at people's mods they've done and learning about stuff like the VGA box (as an alternative if my SCART doesn't work - if there *is* an alternative). I've not done any mods to my DC yet, but I am going to attempt a design similar to my signature/avatar soon. My brother is a fantastic stencil and graffiti artist and would happily do the lid design for me if I bribed him with a cup of tea.

So, yeah. This is me. I'm really not technically savvy as far as the Dreamcast goes (or most things, really), but I want to learn a lot about what I can do and hopefully share some of my experiences when they happen, yeah.

Here's to the future.

Think Tank.
Specially Cork

Re: Introducing myself.

Post by Specially Cork »

Welcome to the boards! Nice to have some new blood every now and then, and it's good to see another Shenmue fan joining our ranks.
Anyway, have fun!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

FRESH MEAT!

:) Welcome to the boards!
It's thinking...
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Welcome!

Take everything here from ANY member with a grain of salt. Considering you are arriving 5 or 6 years after the Dreamcast scene's prime, we've gotten a little itchy. This is mainly a general discussion board between old friends, but the scene still has a little bit to offer. A couple of guys from Quebec are playing around with oscillating crystals and over clocking the Dreamcast (266mhz is the maximum stable setting if I recall), there are a few emu/homebrew releases, BlueCrab is working on Dreamcast RPG (working title), and so on.

Enjoy your stay.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Code-Red wrote:This is mainly a general discussion board between old friends, but the scene still has a little bit to offer.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that this is mainly a place for old friends. There are a lot of people who post here who aren't really "old friends" per se, and every year we get new regulars. Sure, this place isn't exactly bustling, but it is home to a good bit of new members.
It's thinking...
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I for one thank our ThinkTank overlord...

Welcome to DCEmu. Feel free to stroll around and stick with us for a while. Even though many areas of the forums have gone stagnant, every once in a while you will see something pop up that revives interest in that subject (even momentarily). As long as you phrase any of your questions intelligently (We don't even care much about your english, as some of our members can attest to), you'll find many of your questions answered.

So that you may better acquaint yourself with the non-DC forums, Off-Topic (OT) is usually host to a bizarre multitude of topics ranging from those begging for advice, internet oddities and tech questions, among others. Current Events and Politics (CE) contains many random news items you'll not see in mainstream news, as well as other discussion on, well, real issues. Don't hesitate to call someone out on their words there, just stay away from calling people assholes or something (you get the picture). You'll find Gaming adequate for any of your, er, Gaming :P needs, and occasionally a Dreamcast related post in there. Stay away from Null unless you don't mind the depraved creatures of the internet clawing at your soul (It's actually pretty fun, and you are welcome to join us there at any time. Just take nothing too seriously).

Welcome, and please don't leave. If you stay, I move up! :lol:
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

Sir Savant wrote:Welcome, and please don't leave. If you stay, I move up! :lol:
Shut up Savant, it won't happen. Welcome new jack :wink: . A few words of caution/advice: Listen to what Code-Red said about the salt and pepper and all that crap. For the most part the people here are a great group, I mean for this many to stick around after basically the "death" of a system and still be this close knit speaks wonders. Another thing, 80% of the people here hate Sony, though 50% of that 80% have a PS2 or a PSP. As far as OT, if you have questions ranging from relationships to the most technical question, I can guarantee that someone has some very good insight on the matter.

Also, if you have a sense of humor and don't get offended easily, Null is the place for you. But again, if you get offended easily you might want to steer(sp) clear of that section of the forums. One last thing, we have a lot of spelling/grammar nazi's around here, so if you get corrected take it as a learning experience. And by all means, correct someone if you see it wrong. But only in Null as some serious fok don't like that kind of stuff in OT. So welcome, and hope to see you still around in a few years.
ThinkTank
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ThinkTank »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

By the looks of things I'm going to fit in well here. For the spelling and grammar part, I'm really not fussed. My grammar's alright (apart from the random comma here and there). There's really not much that can be corrected, without trying to sound arrogant. I've endured the likes of AOL Chat for several years in my youth. I was with that ISP for too long.

I'm not a Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo hater either, so no problems there. If people do, that's up to them. Me? I love my PlayStations, my Xbox and my GameCube. I just don't own any current-gen consoles.
Although the Dreamcast is no longer "alive" so to speak, seeing the mods done and seeing what people are *still* coming up with software-wise is enough for me. It's been my favourite machine for a long ol' time.
Now I've just got to find a reasonably priced Shenmue 2 before I'm truely happy. I bought it on it's UK release date, but sold it when the Xbox version came out... One of the biggest mistakes of my (gaming) life.
I didn't think the Xbox would have only English dubbing. Ren of Heavens went from having a whiny Japanese voice, to a deep Barry White-esque caw during the switch to the new platform.
But enough about Shenmue.

Thanks again for the welcome. I signed up about 2am last night, so I didn't really browse the boards. Time to do that now.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

that_guy wrote:One last thing, we have a lot of spelling/grammar nazi's around here
You never add an apostrophe when you make words plural.
It's thinking...
ThinkTank
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ThinkTank »

|darc| wrote:
that_guy wrote:One last thing, we have a lot of spelling/grammar nazi's around here
Unless it's pluralised and 'belonging to'. For example: The houses' gardens were very long.

;)

Edit: Sorry about the sig. I was completely oblivious as to the size (in kbs). PNGs are bigger than I expected. Changed it for a much smaller sig now though (5ish kb)
Last edited by ThinkTank on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

|darc| wrote:
.........crap
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Welcome man and enjoy your stay at dcemu.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Welcome to the most enjoyable forums you'll ever visit (no joke).

- Fuzmeister
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

S. Thompson wrote:Welcome to the most enjoyable forums you'll ever visit (no joke).

- Fuzmeister
He is right
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

:o New members?

Welcome. It's too bad you didn't find us a few years ago, when things were busier (and more on-topic), but the forums are still a great time likker and a good place to discuss whatever. Just be prepared if you venture into Null ;)

If I may ask, though...what led you to discovering and joining DCEmu?
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Welcome to the forums
its good to se some fresh meat :winker:
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

Welcome. Just a friendly advice...

Dont go to Null. EVER.

Nah, i still go =D
Last edited by neoak on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

omg hi2u
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Welcome! You've stumbled into a nice little community here.
ThinkTank
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ThinkTank »

DaMadFiddler wrote: If I may ask, though...what led you to discovering and joining DCEmu?
I resparked an old love between man and machine. I got my Dreamcast back out again, but it's not working at the moment. Either the RF lead is broken or the Dreamcast is. Whenever I plug it into a TV, I can't tune it in. I get a really out of tune picture at best on three TV's that I've tried it on. So, while I was looking for solutions this was one of the sites that I stumbled across in my Google search. However, unlike the rest this one still appeared to be very active and when I saw the mods people had done on the main page I thought 'I want me some of that'.

And so, a star was born...

Thanks again everyone :)

P.S. Null doesn't seem so bad... so far...