Verifying Power Board Replacement/Rumble pack feel decreaser

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
neoknux_009
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Verifying Power Board Replacement/Rumble pack feel decreaser

Post by neoknux_009 »

Ive got a ntsc dreamcast from the us. Of course, now that im in aus i have to use a step down transformer which is ridiculous if i wanted to bring my dc anyway. I bidded on a broken aus dreamcast (gd rom stuffed) and im planning to use that powerboard with my us dreamcast. Im just curious if this is perfectly safe for my dc, pretty sure, but just verfying in case. thanks in advance.

Also

after fixing the common resistor problem with no resister, as well as connect the main led to the voltage directly instead of through the normal circuit, i feel much more rumble now. too much. im guessing theres too much current (i have no idea, really). but anyways, im just planning to place a resistor in there with a switch, then i could possible switch from high rumble to low???? im not sure. i'm just checking. thanks as well.
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: Verifying Power Board Replacement/Rumble pack feel decreaser

Post by MapleBuster »

Regarding the power board replcement, go ahead. No problem in doing that. It was the first mod I did and works flawlessly.

By changing the resistor I'm assuming you mean the controller port resistor ? I don't quite understand what you have done tbh. You've replaced it with no resistor ? Out of my league.
neoknux_009
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by neoknux_009 »

thanks.

It was the common resistor problem on the controller port board. Instead of replacing it with a new resister, i simply put a wire across. Also, the main led, isn't connected directly to the board anymore. I stuffed that part up, so i had to connect the led to the 3.3 power supply directly. Im really detected much more rumble than b4, it could be me, i'm pretty sure its because of what i did. IM not too famliar with the rumble pack, but isnt there a direct amount of 3.3 volts going in? Well, if i were to place a resistor in the circuit would the rumble feel decrease? Im not sure really. thanks.
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

if you don't find a near zero fusing resistor, but use a 10 ohms one like lot of tutorials say to do, you'll probably don't feel any rumble anymore.

I'll repeat one more time : the original resistor is a fusing resistor. It's value is about 0,4 ohms.
I you use a 10 ohms resistor, it should work for one controller, but if you plug many with many memory cards and rumble packs, you'll experience voltage drops, it's not dangerous but the port won't work properly.

Simplest thing to do is to jump the resistor. some solder a fuse holder and use 1 amp fast fusing fuses.