Final Fantasy VII

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Specially Cork »

I think a lot of it is just presentation for me. I hate to whore over graphics, but watching scenes acted out with those poor quality models...I just couln't get into it. However, if they had made the game in 2D, with high-quality sprites, I wouldve enjoyed it.

Maybe this wasn't as much of a problem when it was released, because simply being in 3D, and the FMV was enough, but I just never feel connected to the story. It's like having a classic film like Saving Private Ryan or Shashank Redemption reenacted to me using Legos.

I'd really like Square to remake the game one day, as I think I could enjoy it much more if they used today's technology. I doubt it will ever happen though :cry:
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

BoneyCork wrote:I think a lot of it is just presentation for me. I hate to whore over graphics, but watching scenes acted out with those poor quality models...I just couln't get into it.
You could try the PC version with some mods.

Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

BIG BUMP for BIG NEWS

I finally beat it today! After 8 unsuccessful attempts at playing through the game, I finally made it to the end. And I have to admit...I have completely fallen in love with the game. I finally get what the big deal is, and I really want to play it all over again now.

A few months ago I was playing it, and I forced myself up to the underwater reactor, but stuff came up and I stopped playing. When I came back to it, I had a desire to play through what I had done all over again, so I wiped my save, and for the first time ever I really enjoyed myself. Right from Midgar, all the way through to the end. I loved it all. :D

Anyway, this concludes years and years of fustration for me. Not completing has always been nagging at my FF-loving mind. I'm not sure if I would go the extent of saying "best. game. ever", but it definitely ranks inside my top 10. Fantastic stuff.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BoneyCork wrote:BIG BUMP for BIG NEWS

I finally beat it today! After 8 unsuccessful attempts at playing through the game, I finally made it to the end. And I have to admit...I have completely fallen in love with the game. I finally get what the big deal is, and I really want to play it all over again now.

A few months ago I was playing it, and I forced myself up to the underwater reactor, but stuff came up and I stopped playing. When I came back to it, I had a desire to play through what I had done all over again, so I wiped my save, and for the first time ever I really enjoyed myself. Right from Midgar, all the way through to the end. I loved it all. :D

Anyway, this concludes years and years of fustration for me. Not completing has always been nagging at my FF-loving mind. I'm not sure if I would go the extent of saying "best. game. ever", but it definitely ranks inside my top 10. Fantastic stuff.
Finally!
It's thinking...
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Once I completed this game I didn't like it anymore. I still think IV,V and VI are the best FFs in the series, maybe because FF seems more of a better game in 2d then 3d because I haven't gotten into the new FF's they are too flashy and uninspired but that is just my opinion. I own the carts To IV,V and VI so I am good when it comes to FF. I also think FF VII is just a bit over-rated.
Have you played dreamcast today?
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

I beat FF7 when it first came out.
Imo it has one of the best storys ever, and its my fav rpg ever..
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I had the fortune of playing the game during its prime, so it holds way more sentimentality for me. It is still my favorite Final Fantasy, hands down. I still want another game to use the Materia system. I don't even care if it is a VII remake, but the Materia system was one of the best RPG inventions ever.

At any rate, yeah FFVII is amazing. I've beaten it 8 times now; 4 times on the PSX version and 4 times on the PC version (PC version being my favorite once it's patched to play the PSX music).
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I got FF7 when it came out, and I played it for like 2 and a half years and made it right before the fight with Sephiroth. Then my PSX and memory card got stolen.

Haven't gotten round to beating it since. Oh, and it sucks balls for PC.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I absolutely loved it once I got a little ways into it. When I first started playing it I quit about at the part where you have to dodge security in the Shinra HQ. After forcing myself past that part I started getting into it. When I first started playing I thought it was going to be some boring game that involved fighting to the reactors in the city. I really got into the game once I left Midgar though. At the time the graphics wasn't a big deal as it was well before the PS1 came out. In fact I think I played it shortly after final Fantasy 9 came out which was in 1999 wasn't it?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Never heard of it.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

BoneyCork wrote:BIG BUMP for BIG NEWS

Haha! I knew that when you found out the real story late in the game you'd see the beauty in it.
melancholy wrote:I had the fortune of playing the game during its prime, so it holds way more sentimentality for me. It is still my favorite Final Fantasy, hands down. I still want another game to use the Materia system. I don't even care if it is a VII remake, but the Materia system was one of the best RPG inventions ever.
I agree. I love how you can make any character any class simply based on the materia the character has.
Last edited by butters on Fri May 11, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

It took me awhile to beat too. When I first saw the ending I had no idea wtf was going on. I had to watch it several times to realize what was happening.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I agree. I love how you can make any character any class simply based on the materia the character has.
That also robs characters of most of their individuality. They're just shells with limit breaks.

Anyway, talk of the graphics on this game reminds me. I always thought they were crap. The FMV is good, but man, the in game graphics are terrible - like almost all 3D PSX games, really.

Oh yeah, and the relative realism of the 3D characters in battles makes the death of a certain character later on seem ludicrous to me. I think that in a lot of RPGs though. Phoenix Down, anyone?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Lartrak wrote:
Oh yeah, and the relative realism of the 3D characters in battles makes the death of a certain character later on seem ludicrous to me. I think that in a lot of RPGs though. Phoenix Down, anyone?
Yes but maybe the characters are not dead when you use Phoenix Down??, they could just be knocked out and PD wakes them back up...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

zero wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
Yes but maybe the characters are not dead when you use Phoenix Down??, they could just be knocked out and PD wakes them back up...
In most RPGs the characters are described as knocked out (at least in the U.S.). Biggest exception to this I can think of is the Dragon Quest series.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

butters wrote:
zero wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
In most RPGs the characters are described as knocked out (at least in the U.S.). Biggest exception to this I can think of is the Dragon Quest series.
That's why i said it, as a lot of RPG's I've played too it seems to show they a knocked out and not dead..

And i know it's been a long time since i've played FF7 but im pretty sure that did the same thing.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

zero wrote:
butters wrote:
zero wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
That's why i said it, as a lot of RPG's I've played too it seems to show they a knocked out and not dead..

And i know it's been a long time since i've played FF7 but im pretty sure that did the same thing.
Regardless, if having a 40 foot tall monster stomp on you multiple times doesn't kill you, I don't see why one stab would.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Lartrak wrote:
zero wrote:
butters wrote:
zero wrote:
Lartrak wrote:

Regardless, if having a 40 foot tall monster stomp on you multiple times doesn't kill you, I don't see why one stab would.
Because it is a fantasy videogame and not bound by the physics of real life? :roll:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Why don't you have to eat in Final Fantasy VII? Why do you never take a shower? How does Cloud effortlessly carry that huge sword? How does he get his hair to stay like that?
It's thinking...
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

FF VII is considered by most to be one of the greatest RPGs ever made when in truth it is really the 1st attempt at a SIM like game which in many regards succeded very well; however, in some areas, as you have pointed out, did not play out so well.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God